Experience with USREEB?

Experience with USREEB?

Rental Property Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 40 votes

Hi, I'm looking for input / review on working with US Real Estate Equity Builders (USREEB) in Kansas City, MO. They do mostly turnkey-ready investment homes.  Thanks for any input on this company. 

1Reply
1,092 views

Most Popular Reply

Christina CareyPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Dayton, OH · Member since 2010 · 245 posts · 186 votes
8y

@Vince Scolari I can't speak for anything in Kansas City, but many of the properties I'm seeing USREEB advertise here in Dayton, OH are priced solely according to cash flow, not a realistic appraisal value. Most are also located in C/C- neighborhoods with little-to-no potential for appreciation. A single-family house in a residential neighborhood will be appraised using the sales comparison approach, and most appraisers don't bother completing the income approach section of the report, because it simply isn't relevant.

So, when you try to sell something like the above-mentioned properties whose price-to-value ratio is skewed, getting anything close to what you paid will be difficult, if not impossible. A lender will order an appraisal for a financed buyer, and the only thing they will care about is the value according to the comps. If you're lucky, you'll get a clueless cash buyer who doesn't perform their due diligence and is happy just to write a check.

In the last few months or so, I've been called upon by numerous out-of-area buyers to independently verify market value, neighborhood type, etc. for several of USREEB's properties. In some cases, they didn't reach out until there was already a purchase contract. Many times, the buyer was already skeptical of the deal (or deals - some involved more than one property), and my opinions only confirmed what they already were thinking. In all but one case, it took only a few minutes for me to determine there was simply nothing to support their asking prices on those properties - or anything close for that matter. So far, not a single investor who has contacted me over a USREEB property has followed through with a purchase.

Now, I'm not saying that all their properties in Dayton are bad deals - I do see a couple advertised right now at retail prices, with a realistic rent projection. I also see a couple that are rather optimistic on asking price, as well as rent though, so looks like 50/50 potential odds of a fair deal overall, pending further research of course. Based upon this thread, it seems like the vast majority are happy with their KC investments. They also have a much longer track record in KC than they do here in Dayton. Maybe they have a better team in place there vs. Dayton; it's more difficult to manage remotely when you aren't intimately familiar with the market here, and don't have direct eyes on the day-to-day, like it appears things are in KC. Time will tell, I suppose.

By the way, if you're paying retail price for a property - and you will if you want a turnkey rental - it should be fully stabilized at that price. What does that mean, you might ask? It means that all the major capital improvements (roof, windows, HVAC, electric service, plumbing system) are new/newer and are verified as having substantial life remaining, AND the finishes are all in good repair, and in line with what's expected for the neighborhood in which the property is located.

For example, a house in a B+ neighborhood should not have a 60-amp service with an old fuse panel, nor should the kitchen remind you of your grandparents' house that hasn't been updated since they bought in 1950. In Dayton, air conditioning is not optional; if the tenant must suffer with a window AC unit, unless you're in a D area, your rental rate will also suffer. In any neighborhood in any city, a roof that has only "a few years left" warrants a discount equal to the cost of the improvement. Same goes for a 30-year-old furnace, or a 50-year-old house with original windows. In other words, a property that will need thousands upon thousands in capital improvements within the first few years is not in retail condition and should be priced accordingly.

But I digress .... I'll echo the other posters over the course of this year-long thread: no matter who is selling, or where the property is located, please, please, please, for the love of all that is holy, do your due diligence! That includes independent verification of market value, projected rents, neighborhood quality, and property condition before you close the deal. By the way, that also includes a plane ticket - at the very least you should visit a new area once, before making your first investment there.

Also, know what you're buying! What one person calls a 3rd bedroom might only be a room in the basement with no secondary egress ... or it's a finished attic with six-and-a-half-foot ceiling that doesn't qualify as living space at all, much less a bedroom, unless maybe you're one of the lollipop kids. This may sound silly, but verify the number of bathrooms. You may find that the "second bathroom" is only a toilet in the middle of the basement and IF there is a "shower", it's just a faucet on the wall near a floor drain. I've been in locker rooms with more privacy. Do you think these things might have an impact on the rental rate? I'd love to say I'm exaggerating just to make a point, but sadly, I really do encounter properties like that around here. All. The. Time. Real estate agents are absolutely the worst offenders in this arena.

Anyone can put numbers in a spreadsheet and make it look pretty. For those of you who are afraid to spend a few bucks before you invest your money in any new city, think about what it would be like if some unforeseen life event forces you to liquidate, only to learn that you spent $95K on a property that was only worth $50K when you bought it a year earlier. How does that $500 plane ticket sound now?

Bottom line is this: trust, but verify. Do your homework before you write the check.

See this reply in the discussion

168 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 85 votes
    10y
    I, too, am also interested in hearing from anyone who has done business with this company. I just contacted them today to discuss a property and hear more about their company
  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 404 posts · 421 votes
    10y

    So, nobody has comments on USREEB in Kansas City, MO??  I'm meeting with them on Wednesday and would appreciate comments, good or bad.

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    10y
    Cailyn Aune may be able to help you.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Any feedback here?

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    I am currently in escrow with them. Will post some summary comments when we're finished. 

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 85 votes
    10y

    Just purchased a home from them last Friday--everything's good so far. I'll update as we move forward.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Robin Hines@Andrew R. - do you have any thoughts on your experience so far with usreeb? 

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    I know the guys who installs their HVAC systems and he is as good as I know. Overall I think they are good at what they do but Im not a fan of their business model in general, I also have not seen their business close up so I'm not one to say how well it works.

    Overall looking at the prices of their properties you are't getting a deal and basically paying market prices for the property and I'd be surprised if they can hit their advertised returns but again I have no experience with them. I just think their business model in general is not a great deal for the investor but it really comes down to how well they can manage the assets after its purchased, if they are great at that its worth it for specific people who need this type of service.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 85 votes
    10y

    I am just in the early phase of my relationship with them (having purchased a home from them in July) so it is a bit premature to post my experience. We are just now entering the property management phase, and I've had one issue that they have successfully handled (so far). I'll post a follow-up once we get a little further down the road.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    I just closed on 2 properties with them this month. Overall the staff has been helpful and easy to work with. I had to put pressure on them to perform some repairs that were discovered in the inspections (namely foundation cracks). They wanted to just do a sealant, I hired another inspector who said no-way, a structural repair was needed, so I had to pressure USREEB to do the structural repairs. The other house had a sewer issue that came up during appraisal, that I would have never known about except my appraiser was very diligent.  So do your due diligence and inspections aggressively. They might try to cut corners on some of the repairs if you're not aggressive.  The properties seem to be cash flowing but it's brand new so I can't speak to the long-term.  Their inventory is mostly C and B, so make sure you're familiar with these types of neighborhoods, some are rough.  

  • Turnkey Investment Provider · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 116 votes
    9y

    @Phillip Syrios Curious where you are getting your data?  All of our properties appraise over the market sales price and our investors land in a great position with instant equity and cash flowing properties. 

    If you have zero experience with a company, I don't recommend giving any advice. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    So far things are going well for my 3 properties with USREEB. They have gotten tenants readily within the first month of purchase and the initial tenant placement is included in part of the deal (IE, the buyer doesn’t have to pay a lease-up fee for the first tenant), which is a very attractive feature of this turnkey provider. 2 of my 3 properties appraised just over my price and 1 appraised right-on my purchase price.  Cash flow and communication have been very good. I have my first move-out and new tenanting coming up Jan 2017 so we’ll see how the transition goes. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    9y

    So to speak to @Phillip Syrios and his pricing  comments and then @Sean Tarpenning and the Turn key provider model.

    First Phillip and his company do their own investing in Kansas City.  They have people on the ground doing the work, looking at the properties and speaking with the tenants.  This model allows you to buy the houses at the discounts, hire and manage your own contractors, and be your own property manager.  Which means you get better pricing all the way around - cheaper houses, cheaper renovations, cheaper property management and better cash flow returns.  How he works with his investors via private partners and investors in a deal and his investors know their returns.

    The Second Model is Sean's model.  His company buys the property, renovates the property, rents the property and then sells it to the investor (making a profit) and then manages for the investor (again making a profit).  This model does not get the houses and the repairs made at the same discount that Phillips model does, because it's not supposed to.  It is a service model for the investor who does not have boots, bodies or employees on the ground and does not have the time to devote to managing that team.  This is the done for you model and it is for the investor who is willing to pay a more to not have to do all the work.

    I can speak for Phillips company as I have first hand knowledge of his company - I sell houses to him from time to time.  They are out there walking through houses and getting the deals.  But they hold their houses in their Do It Yourself Model.

    I can't really speak for Sean's company in particular because while I have met a few of the players this past week, I have not really done any business with them.  But their model is not a bad model, yes houses cost more to buy from them, but in a Done for Your Model, they are supposed to.

    It's all in the time you have to devote and the proximity to the city where you are investing and the knowledge you have.  

    Hope this makes sense, need more coffee this morning.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    I have done transactions in both types of "models" and I'd agree with Kim, you can save money doing more of the work and logistics yourself, but you are spending more time and energy to do so. With the turnkey model, you do often get an "instant" tenant, so considering that there is no down-time and no first-month property mgmt fee, that can be worth $1-2000 instantly, which helps offset some of the higher initial cost of the turnkey product. The downside is that you probably won't find that diamond-in-the-rough, home-run, huge ROI deal with the turnkey model. It's more slow-n-steady.

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    I can only say great things about our experience with USREEB... I don't have the time to set up a team and have "boots on the ground", I know I could make more money doing it myself, but my own time also costs money and USREEB makes me more than enough money to keep me happy!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    9y

    Please DO KEEP IN MIND - in the Done for You model that there are a lot of start ups and a lot of fly by nights in Kansas City.  The ones I have heard really bad things about were scamming all the poor Australians in 2009 and 2010 as well as coastal investors - I think for the most part they are gone.

    However, before you partner with any company be it as a private lender for those doing it themselves, a done for you turn key model company or even hiring a contractor

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    9y

    @Rachel Bier If you don't mind sharing, how long have you been investing with USREEB?  How many homes?

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Larry Fried We've been with USREEB since February 2016 and have bought 7 SFR, it will be interesting to see how they handle any tenant changes next year, however, if their past record is anything to go off it should be pretty seamless!

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    9y

    @Rachel Bier Thanks.  So 7 in just 10 months.  Congrats, that is some fast acquisition.  You are right time will give you a much better sense of how the company and your properties perform. Please keep the BP community apprised.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kim Tucker:

    Please DO KEEP IN MIND - in the Done for You model that there are a lot of start ups and a lot of fly by nights in Kansas City.  The ones I have heard really bad things about were scamming all the poor Australians in 2009 and 2010 as well as coastal investors - I think for the most part they are gone.

    However, before you partner with any company be it as a private lender for those doing it themselves, a done for you turn key model company or even hiring a contractor

    back in those days I had not found BP but was a regular on the AUSSIE version and yes there were some very BAD actors in KC... I helped more than a few out of horrendous situations.

    I know the the Syrios boys as they are from Oregon and I don't know them well but I know there Dad had built a monster company here in Oregon... So I have no doubt they were like kids in a Candy store when they alighted on KC with the backing of their family business.

    Buy and trust remote rehab has a whole nother level of trust.. this is the most risky.. with risk there is reward.. I fund one company that does this in Birmingham.. and he does well but I have been funding his deals for about 15 years now... he sells to a very select group out of LA.. most of them own 20 to 50 homes each... so its really a contracting service with a acquisition component.  they use me to secure the deals.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Bier:

    @Larry Fried We've been with USREEB since February 2016 and have bought 7 SFR, it will be interesting to see how they handle any tenant changes next year, however, if their past record is anything to go off it should be pretty seamless!

    I have been work with Sean for 2 years now and have invested probably 2 to 3 million with him.

    I call him the energizer bunny.... you talk about energy.. .wicked smart and at the perfect age and motivation to build a monster company.   As with any rental anywhere there are a certain amount of risk and that's no different in KC from other markets... but you have someone who cares and will stay on top of it.. they are vertically integrated when you walk in the office PM is front and center.. not much gets by Sean I can certainly tell you that..   I think he has mentioned you folks to me as he knew I lived at Silverado for a decade...

    Anyone can order ala Carte or they can order the full meal.. that's all were talking about here.

    and self serve buffet Is not as expensive as full sit down dinner..

    its about cash flow ... time management... and security of the asset.  I know I won't fund deals with one of people in the cash flow markets that don't have PM in house or WEll taken care of.. period.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    9y

    If we pull a cash buyer list - USREEB is at the top of the list - we have sold several houses to them as real estate brokers and as wholesalers - just closed on one today - it's going to be awesome once they have it rehabbed.

  • Turnkey Investment Provider · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 116 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Kim Tucker and @Jay Hinrichs for the kind words!!! 

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    For anyone interested in doing business with USREEBI highly recommend a visit out to KC to meet with Sean and his team, they are invested in KC for the long term and have already turned around neighborhoods and made a real difference to the city, they work with the City and community leaders to improve neighborhoods, they add a whole new meaning to boots on the ground!

    @Jay Hinrichs I was happy to see your name on the closing docs of one of the properties we bought in October, I read a lot of your posts on BP and really respect your honestly and deep RE knowledge. We're up in St Helena and love it, beautiful area...just super high RE! W're aiming to purchase a small mulit family in Napa this year.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 121 votes
    9y

    We love visitors!! :) Thanks @Rachel Bier  You are right... we LOVE revitalizing the Kansas City metro and helping anyone we can!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.