Tenant went from a mental hospital to jail.

Tenant went from a mental hospital to jail.

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 9 votes

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I’ve had people die, become drug addicts, and just leave… But, this is a first.

Here’s the background... In the last 4 months, one of my tenants went to a mental hospital 3 times, and jail twice. Said tenant has been residing in out of state jail for the last 2.5 months, with no indication of anything changing. I am in contact with the tenant’s parents, they have been paying rent, but obviously this is not ideal for them and can’t do this forever. They are trying to gain power of attorney, but after 2 months have not been able to, even though tenant is pleading insanity to some charges. Tenant that is in jail has a partner that is on lease - partner has since moved out, and written me a letter to break lease. Tenant has a past of theatening both me and her partner, (grounds to evict) however, I can no longer prove this as I lost text messages documenting it. 

Tenant that is in jail’s parents live out of state and would like to collect her things in two weeks.

Just throwing this one out there to see what people think…

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Hollidaysburg, PA · Member since 2015 · 327 posts · 350 votes
7y

@Steve F., One of the few things that come to mind is that you may want to tighten up your screening process. However, that is not taking away from the one's that slip through the cracks. I wish you the best of luck with this situation!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hollidaysburg, PA · Member since 2015 · 327 posts · 350 votes
    7y

    @Steve F., One of the few things that come to mind is that you may want to tighten up your screening process. However, that is not taking away from the one's that slip through the cracks. I wish you the best of luck with this situation!

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    funny story... the girl that used to screen for me no longer works with me...

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    7y

    Here are my thoughts: 

    I would personally prefer to avoid an eviction with a judgments order because chances are I’m not going to see a penny and the situation is just too sad for me to pursue such an avenue - I just don’t think it would make any business sense. 

    I would be extremely cautious of just breaking her lease if she has not requested this in writing because this can back fire. Also, I would be careful of allowing your tenants parents pick up her things without her consent. 

    I suggest that your tenant requests release of her lease obligations and provides written consent to allow her belongs to be removed by her parents - maybe they family can have an attorney help them with this at a low cost.  

    This is just my .o2 cents 

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    7y

    we can give you our opinions expanding 12 pages but you really need a licensed attorney's consultation on this matter. 

    kudos,

    Mary 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    If the person is deemed mentally ill which it appears it’s going that direction I would think you need to tread carefully if the rent is being paid and property is not damaged . you’ve got to have grounds to evict and I know in my lease it says jail and mental hospital is worthy of losing tenancy . Your lease wording probably plays a big role on your options 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    Try cigarettes for keys:)
    Just kidding! Cash for keys may work though.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.