Code Violation Leads List in Houston TX

7 Replies | Houston, Texas

Your local Building Department/Code Enforcement Office should have this. 

If they do not have this general list but you have noticed a couple buildings that look run down, you can provide specific addresses and they should be able to pull the file for that address for you to look through. If any code violations were issued, you would find them in these files.

Originally posted by @Brandon Ray :

Any clue on where I could locate a lis of properties that has code violations? Preferably in Houston TX?

Here is a list of properties with code violations:  All of them.

Somewhat joking.  But if you're looking for such a list as a way to find people looking to sell, I wouldn't bother.  For one, violations are so common that it's not going to mean someone will sell below market.

Second, those type of events already trigger 10000 calls, texts, and letters from people that have systems setup to monitor such things. It's like when I get 1000 calls to sell because a property has hit some magical # of days on the MLS that wholesellers have on their search criteria.

Brandon Ray - let's connect.  

Cody is right, to some extent - but this list might be good when 'stacked' with other lists. 

@Cody L. LOL .. my team called you couple of time already. Its nice to see that you always speak to them. :) 

@Brandon Ray go to department of neighborhood and ask them for the list..I tried and quit .. List if very small, around 200 ish and everyone of the universe (thanks to those 100 bucks weekend class ahem ahem) calls/mails them ... Happy Hunting 

Originally posted by @Shahriar Khan :

@Cody L. LOL .. my team called you couple of time already. Its nice to see that you always speak to them. :) 

@Brandon Ray go to department of neighborhood and ask them for the list..I tried and quit .. List if very small, around 200 ish and everyone of the universe (thanks to those 100 bucks weekend class ahem ahem) calls/mails them ... Happy Hunting 

Is it one of thoes "We're a group of investors looking for properties in your area.  Would you consider selling your property at 123 Main St?".

No joke, I get a call, email, or text like that almost every day.  I'd say 4-5 times a week.  And I'm not counting the phsycail letters.  Those go to our office in Houston (where I'm not located).  They used to saved them for when I came to town and hand me a huge stack.  Now they just toss them right in the trash.

Whenever someone asks if I'd consider selling, I say "of course.  Send your offer to ..." and I give them an email address.  However, of the 100s of people I tell that too, almost no one sends an offer.  

Now on the flip side, I personally make those same calls.  Except I have an offer in hand.  Not only a price, but I'll send a contract signed and ready to go.  I get most of my properties by calling and seeing if someone will sell.  I'm just more aggressive about it.  I don't call them and ask them for 2 years of tax returns, a rent roll, a sales price, ask for a tour of every unit etc.   If you want to get some deals this way you have to know what a property does.  It's not hard to proforma.  Then make an offer based on what you'd pay and see where it takes you.

I just put a 14 unit in Montrose under contract this way.  The lady was super standoffish when I first called.  I finally said I'm not here to ask you 100 questions or waste your time.  I emailed her a contract signed, she signed it back, I sent it to title.

@Cody L. not those broad calls anymore.. we are making hard offers now within a second call. Avoiding montrose/heights/third ward all the way .. Too little cash flow for working hard to bet on appreciation to kick in given upcoming correction.