Finding owners of vacant houses. I need help.

Finding owners of vacant houses. I need help.

Taylorsville, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 23 posts 路 22 votes

I can't find any info about contact information regarding the owner of a house I want in Taylorsville. (No I'm not posting the address.馃槈)

All I have is the address of the house. I don't want my letter to hang out with the dozen newspapers on the porch, if you get my drift.

What do you guys do to find owners of homes like this?

1Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler 路 Charlotte, NC 路 Member since 2015 路 398 posts 路 679 votes
9y

@Jay Lalik Your best bet is to do a skip trace on the owner. If you can't do it yourself, you will have to eventually give out the address so a professional can locate the owner's contact information. However, before going that route, I would ensure that the property has enough equity to work with. You may want to go on the tax assessor's site and see when it was bought. If it was bought around 2006-2008, most likely it's upside down. You could spend all of your time searching for the owner and then it not even being a deal. I always do some due diligence before I track down an owner.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2017 路 54 posts 路 30 votes
    9y

    Here's a more unconventional trick, but it seems to work in my experience. Try contacting the neighbors to get the back story. Neighbors tend to be nosy and you'd sometimes be surprised how much they know.

  • Wholesaler 路 Charlotte, NC 路 Member since 2015 路 398 posts 路 679 votes
    9y

    @Jay Lalik Your best bet is to do a skip trace on the owner. If you can't do it yourself, you will have to eventually give out the address so a professional can locate the owner's contact information. However, before going that route, I would ensure that the property has enough equity to work with. You may want to go on the tax assessor's site and see when it was bought. If it was bought around 2006-2008, most likely it's upside down. You could spend all of your time searching for the owner and then it not even being a deal. I always do some due diligence before I track down an owner.

  • Investor 路 Colorado Springs, CO 路 Member since 2017 路 17 posts 路 3 votes
    9y

    Hi all. Another thing i do is send a mailer to the address to let owner know your interested in property. if it comes back you can investigate some more. Assessors office only has a address that owner provides.  You somtimes need to be that detective.  

  • Taylorsville, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 23 posts 路 22 votes
    9y

    You guys rock. 

  • Investor 路 Miami, FL 路 Member since 2015 路 379 posts 路 330 votes
    9y
    x2 to what Andrew Miller said. This is always my go to as they almost always hand over leverage that a seller wouldn't admit. I'm assuming you've checked the mailing address of the home but sometimes vacant properties might have a local mailing address within an hour or two away that you can simply knock on. In reference to the equity comment I would try to reach out of your trusted network and see if you know anyone with MLS access, specifically a program called RPR. I'm sure there may be other programs out there but this one allows you to check the loans pulled out on this home so you don't have to guess whether they have equity or not. Happy Investing!
  • Investor 路 Salt Lake City, UT 路 Member since 2016 路 19 posts 路 18 votes
    9y

    Hi Jay,

    You can follow this link to the county assessor:  http://slco.org/assessor/new/query.cfm

    Enter the property address to get the owner's name.  After you get the name, you can try doing another property search, this time using only the owner's name, to see if any other properties show up under that name.  If there is another one, it might be the owner's home address.

    Good luck!

  • Wholesaler 路 East Point, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 7 posts 路 2 votes
    9y

    If you get return mail my first step is to just google the owner you will not believe what info comes up and sometimes you get their phone number and current address.

  • Taylorsville, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 23 posts 路 22 votes
    9y

    I have a 2nd address now.  I'm getting somewhere.

  • Taylorsville, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 23 posts 路 22 votes
    9y

    My wife and I got info from the government site.

    We knocked on the neighbor's house and she was the sweetest lady.  It turns out she and her husband lived in their house for 65 years and the house in question was built by them in 1953. 

    The lady knows the owners personally and she says the owner is looking to sell.  She is expecting a call from the owner's daughter tonight and will pass on our info.

    I'm pretty excitied.

  • Investor 路 Colorado Springs, CO 路 Member since 2017 路 17 posts 路 3 votes
    9y

    as a wholesaler what is some of the things you say when cold calling a owner to start a conversation? 

  • Taylorsville, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 23 posts 路 22 votes
    9y

    I am not 100 percent sure. I guess I will find out soon.  If I don't set a call back by lunch I am making one to the daughter (who is apparently handling everything for her mom.)

    I have a few options on this one. Flip, wholesale, or list as an agent.

    A flip makes me a bit nervous as I have mon-sat Nat Guard training starting in July.

  • Salt Lake City, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    9y

    I know someone who can do the flip while you are in training..

    I'll bet if we can get the house soon, we could get it done before you go.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.