Flipping in Edmonton

9 Replies

Hello BP Alberta, 

I am looking at a possible rehab deal in Edmonton and was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys as to typical returns you are seeing, and maybe what your minimum return or profit limit is that you would accept to do a deal?

I am looking at houses in the $350 to $450,000 range. Is a profit of $20,000 to $30,000 a below average, average or above average return on rehab deals you guys look at for homes in this price range?

I typically invest in the US so I really don't know what kinds of returns are average for a house flip in Alberta. 

Thanks in advance.

Cal

Hi @Cal Ewing

What you have listed is around average. For 450k I would be looking closer to 40k profit though.

I can't say for Edmonton, but for Calgary starter homes (ARV = 370-400k) we look for 25k profit.

I think the profit margins should also grow a bit larger to to protect yourself as prices are coming down everyday albeit slowly in the starter home price range.  

Hi Cal,

I can't comment on Edmonton, but here in Calgary I try to focus on properties that have at least $50K potential and feel safer if my numbers show $70K plus for rehabs. My last flip I purchased for $420K, sold for $618K and made $85K when all said and done. I generally focus on properties in the $400K-$500K purchase price, with an ARV of at least $150K more than purchase price. I'm happy to discuss further with you if you would like. I can also help you find properties that meet this criteria here in Calgary if you're interested in a Calgary project instead of Edmonton.

Hi Nick,

Sales costs can include realtor fees (7% on the 1st 100k and 3% on each 100k after that - negotiable but this standard), staging costs, lawyer fees and so on. 

The big chunk is usually the realtor fees though.

@Nick

You must negotiate with a realtor in terms if selling a property.  Especially if it is a realtor you are using to buy and sell with. You can even agree on a scale l. For example first home might be 6 percent. The second would be 5 percent etc.  So there is some incentive for long term relationships on  both sides 

Originally posted by @Aidan Kutcher :

Hi Cal,

I can't comment on Edmonton, but here in Calgary I try to focus on properties that have at least $50K potential and feel safer if my numbers show $70K plus for rehabs. My last flip I purchased for $420K, sold for $618K and made $85K when all said and done. I generally focus on properties in the $400K-$500K purchase price, with an ARV of at least $150K more than purchase price. I'm happy to discuss further with you if you would like. I can also help you find properties that meet this criteria here in Calgary if you're interested in a Calgary project instead of Edmonton.

HI, Aidan, we are investors in Calgary and we would be interested to discuss how we can do business together. We have been doing buy-n-hold in Calgary for a number of years. Also, we have been flipping. Talk to you soon
Veronica 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here