Anyone read Steve Berges?

5 Replies

I was going through my library of mostly economics, stock market, and real estate books and I saw I had a good assortment of books from Steve Berges..all related to real estate investing.

I completely forgot I had them but now I remember they were pretty important to my education 5 or 6 years ago when I was just just getting started.

Just curious, anyone else read him?

I read his book "The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings" many years ago.  it was instrumental in helping me to build an initial process.  I still use the value play as he calls it but have my own evaluation methods now.

I'm reading The Complete Guide right now. Great stuff! The case studies are really helpful. I like how Berges walks you through a few scenarios in the same deal, and gives you an idea of what's good and what's bad. The author seems to be really pushing his "value play" thesis, not that I'm opposed to it of it, but it's definitely something to be cognizant of.  I appreciate his insights and suggestions nonetheless and think reading it has been time well spent.  

As someone who isnt interested in flipping SFH, and wanted something more active than buy and hold, the value-play method is absolutely perfect.

I count Steve Berges as one of my favorite real estate authors.

Originally posted by @Steve Olafson :

I read his book "The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings" many years ago.  it was instrumental in helping me to build an initial process.  I still use the value play as he calls it but have my own evaluation methods now.

It was probably Steve who recommended this book to me many years ago, and opened up my eyes to the model of "flipping" apartments ("value add").  If you're interested in multi-family, I highly recommend Berges and Dave Lindahl.