Success Path?

92 Replies

I am a brand new investor trying to learn the ropes. My long term goal is to have 15-20 rentals for passive income and flip 10-15 houses a year . I have attended a 3 day work shop put on by Success Path which is endorsed by Tarek and Christina El Moussa of the TV Show Flip or Flop. The 3 day workshop was 8 hrs a day and I paid $1799.97 to attend. The workshop was a disappoint to say the least. Many hours were wasted on a sales pitch to entice into continued education that cost $41,297 for Diamond Enrollment, $26,297 for Platinum Enrollment, and $21,297 for Gold enrollment. The red flags went up for me when the instructor gave the first homework assignment to be done during our lunch break was to call our credit card companies and up our credit limits to $25,000  if possible and to also have our interest rates lowered. They provided a book with a script to use. I did not complete the assignment and when asked why I explained to the instructor in (in front of the class) that I did not feel comfortable doing that since I had sat thru 4 hours of sales pitch thus far and had only wrote 2 sentences that I felt I could actually use to buy real estate. Well that sent him into a hour long rant about negativity and how we were thinking like poor people, upping our credit limit would raise our credit score ect ect. I stuck it out the 3 days  to try to gain as much info for my money as possible. Hey you just are not born knowing this stuff. I am a motivated person and business owner that by the way  I was told would not be successful 3 years ago and today it is. As the workshop went on we were seated one on one with a mentor/salesman who tried to sell the continued education. On the last day we sat down and was offered a SECRET(I was told to keep it to myself and not let any of the others know of the offer) scaled down version maybe the Tin Can version instead of Gold for $15,000. I told our salesman that it would have been nice to know about the other option so we could have had time to consider it but since this was a business of negotiation and I was not happy thus far I would take the scaled down version for $5,000 site unseen. He was not pleased and suggested that I go out on my own and try to make deals but I would ultimately FAIL without the continued education. We agreed to disagree. The better points of the plan that I have not mentioned that really had me sold was a magic software called Property Farm which gives an investor inside information as to a data base of home owners 1-3 months behind on their mortgage payments a way to find forecloses in the making or before they happen and are made public and  also a data base of buyers retail and wholesale . The instructor would not let us see the software for very long at all maybe a 1-2 minute example then he would cover the overhead projector up with a book to hide it from the class . Also a investor coach would be made available which both of these points is why I paid for the 3 day workshop to begin with. Since then I have been contacted by Success Path and I explained my disappointment with the workshop and that a refund was in order ect. She asked for a chance for her company to redeem their self and if we could talk about my situation ect. I agreed and after many questions she couldnt answer  was offered the software (previously not available by itself) 1yr  for $2500 or the software with a coach for 1yr for $7500 and the $1799.97 I spent on the 3 day workshop would be applied towards either. I told her I would have to think about it and let her know. I have read several times on Biggerpockets of people paying for seminars and paying what I consider big money . Has anyone heard of the magic software Property Farm. Does anyone have any info about the Success Path Plan. Sorry for the long post and any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

it's the exact same approach that Than Merrill of Fortune Builders uses, complete with "magic software".  I went through the same thing and actually made the first payment on the "tin can version", do we could see the software. It was nothing that you can't get from Listsource or...better still, Jerry Puckett!!  We fought for a full refund and received it. 

I haven't regretted not going down that path for 1 second. 

@Kenneth Norman

Man I am sorry.

In California we have Foreclosure Radar.  Best in the business.

https://www.propertyradar.com/?utm_source=FR&utm_m...

https://www.propertyradar.com/what-we-do/best-fore...

To attack the issue:

Write a letter to their office.  Ask for a refund within 10 business days or you will go to the FTC, BBB and the AG.

Good luck.

Brian

Medium banner reiskills 997   copyBrian Gibbons, REISkills | [email protected] | 818‑400‑3046 | http://MyREISkills.com

@Kenneth Norman

Welcome to BiggerPockets. 

I'm sure you realize that with that kind of cash ($21k to $41k) you could purchase one or two fully renovated income properties with financing and expand your real estate portfolio.

And some education would come along free with that investment.

It amazes me how much some people spend on this stuff without realizing the properties they could buy.

Continued success!

Medium norada real estate investmentsMarco Santarelli, Norada Real Estate Investments | (800) 611‑3060 | http://www.NoradaRealEstate.com

My main advice is to stay away from these kinds of things. Not only are they expensive, but in this day and age, you can get SOOO much knowledge for free!! 

I myself am a big believe in learning by doing. Most people that attend seminars are addicts to learning, learning, learning. They therefore shield themselves from actually going out and learning about the actual real world. Robert Kiyasaki said it best, "Often in the real world, it's not the smart who get ahead, but the bold."

You have to go out and learn for yourself. Now, I'm not saying miss out on your due diligence. Know what you're doing and go for it. Anything over $1,000 is outrageous!! 

And that program offers knowledge that is available to the public! You can search what properties are behind on taxes with a simple google search or going  to the county clerk's office! They just package it neatly in a software. 

Just go out and do it! The biggest success hack, however, is knowing people and having a mentor. That i won't lie. But get a mentor that looks out for your best interest, not because he charges you over $17,000 or whatever have you.

Best of luck!

Wow!!! honestly dont waste your time and money...!! Bigger pockets is the most useful resource that i found. Wow!!!

Disclosure: Hater.

Their "magic software" is referred to as a list of"30/60/90 day lates", a very common marketing list in the past.  These lists used to Ben olds, but may no longer be a available, due to privacy laws.  In either  case, if it's available thru them, it's available elsewhere, much cheaper.  And really now, do you trust Anything these guys are trying to sell you now?  Really?

@Kenneth Norman In general I am not for gurus, though there are some I like. It appears you have a good head on your shoulders. Let us at BP help you, while I havent used this software I have found most to be not worth it. I have used and like realeflowe but it didn't fit our model well enough for the price to the have to customize still not get what we wanted. Let me know if I can help in anyway

File complaints with the BBB and your state attorney general or similar officials. 

No company avatar mediumJohn Thedford, John Thedford | 239‑200‑5600 | http://www.capehomebuyers.com | FL Agent # BK3098153

There are WAY too many so-called experts selling pure hype to newbies for outrageous prices in this industry.  Run away.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. You all said what I already new in my gut but just needed to have some feed back from others. I researched Success Path on the BBB website (obviously should have ahead of time) and they have over nearly 200 complaints but still maintain a A+ rating unbelievable. I will start fighting for my refund after the holiday and from what I can tell from others who complained to the BBB should get $1000 of my money back anyway. I cant imagine how the people must feel who bought into the $41,000 plan , I will say a prayer for them . I honestly don't see how some people can sleep at night doing people this way. SHAME ON Tarek and Christina and Flip or Flop.. KARMA GONNA GET EM . I will pray for them too! Thanks everyone.   

This post has been removed.

I think they have my least favorite show on flipping that I have ever seen. Tons of fake drama. I wouldn't really give any weight to their endorsement.

Medium head icon colorRyan Dossey, Call Porter | http://Callporter.com | IN Agent # RB15001099

Success Path is not a scam. In fact I've been to a handful of real estate investing seminars. They are all similar but Success Path is actually the most affordable so far. Also, they are refreshingly different and unique..

You have to go in with a positive mindset and courage. I have been the only one to walk out without purchasing anything.

I've  heard presenters talk about me as I walk out. I don't care because I know what's worth my money and what's not.

Success Path is actually much cheaper than many I've heard.

I also thought Tarek and Christinas HGTV show was the most honest one I've seen. They show them making detrimental mistakes. Now, they are making a killing and they NEVER CLAIMED TO BE SO CALLED, GURUS.

Hennie (Henrietta)

Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons :

@Kenneth Norman

Man I am sorry.

In California we have Foreclosure Radar.  Best in the business.

https://www.propertyradar.com/?utm_source=FR&utm_m...

https://www.propertyradar.com/what-we-do/best-fore...

To attack the issue:

Write a letter to their office.  Ask for a refund within 10 business days or you will go to the FTC, BBB and the AG.

Good luck.

Brian

I had the distinct pleasure of Having breakfast with Mr. O Toole now there is a quality business man and his software is awesome I will be using it myself to get back to the business I loved the most and that is buy and selling timber lands.. :)

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

Last night my daughter and I attended a Success Path seminar. What a joke. Of course Tarek and Christina were not there. While we were waiting to enter, one of the presenters came out to the lobby to announce that they wouldn't be there. He laughingly, told us that one of the reasons was that Tarek was recovering from cancer and that Christina had just had a baby. Once we were seated we had a presenter who rambled on for an hour and a half. He was redundant and talked so fast that sometimes we couldn't catch everything that he was saying. But that's OK we knew that he would repeat it in a few minutes. He spoke of the things we should do to get started but didn't explain how to do it. We would have to buy into the 3 day workshop in order to find out. And because we attended the seminar we could attend the workshop fo ONLY $1997.00 IF we signed up then. What a farce. We didn't even get the free MP3 player and CD that we were supposed to receive. I feel bad for anyone who was naive enough to buy into this scam,

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am also the one who attended their free course last night at Natick and unfortunately I bought the class and Tax Lein club. After reading and researching what they've done in the past, I am thinking to see if I can get refund since they have 3 days refund policy. I have another question about the Tax Lein. Do you think that type of investment is useful?

Thank you very much,

Ruei-Jiun

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. However, has ANYONE had any actual success through these seminars? Has anyone taken advantage of using the funding sources listed as part of the course? Or did you have to pay the ultimate $40k price? I just attended the free seminar and was considering the $2k next level 3-day weekend, but want to know what I'm getting into. Does anyone have any positives to share? What was your first flip/property like through Success Path? Any help is appreciated!

Hi everybody,

I did buy one of Success Paths lower programs, and after that some of their coaching. I know that most of the info I got in the seminars and coaching is availalbe free, much of it here.

But, this did get me a great jump start to my business. In my first three months, I've got two duplexes, that are rehabbbed and rented. I'm also working on another rehab, and have another house under contract. So four properties in a short period of time. I know I would not be this far without the training and coaching from them.

They do teach you how to make this a business, and the processes to semi-automate as much as you can. The teach about entities, asset protection, accounting and tax ramifications. I went to a three day summit in Vegas that was included in the package. I actually did get to meet Tarek and Christina, along with several other celebrities. The celebs were mixed in with presenters on financing, asset protection, marketing, and rehabbing. The conference was very valuable, and I will go again. As a member, I'm entitled to attend these whenever I want, although they only paid air and hotel for the first one. There is also another five day conference with advanced topics that I haven't attended yet.

I have a great coach through their program. We had individual coaching sessions, then group sessions on various topics. I have access to him for a year. I run offers and analysis by him on occasion. He's a pro, that has been an investor for many years, and has a ton of properties. He is really giving me great advice.

Another thing I picked up is a handful of fellow noob's that have become friends. We get together every month and compare stories. We also have some financing going on between members of our little group. The support we get from each other is great!

Property Farm is pretty cool. It's a database that contains data from public records. You can filter for area, then filter for type. The types are divorce, probate, late mortgage payments, foreclosures, out of state owners, and about a half dozen others that I can't remember. Once you run your query, you can export it to Excel. It contains owner info, and about 30 fields of data for each property. It's a pretty good tool. It probably doesn't contain data that you can find in other places, but it's nice to have it all in one tool. 

So overall was it worth it? I certainly don't think it was a waste of money. I think of it as getting a different college degree. I know I wouldn't be close to where I am now if I hadn't done all that concentrated learning. Also, knowing I've got money invested is motivating to me. I won't be walking away from this!

So that's my .02!

Originally posted by @David K. :

Hi everybody,

I did buy one of Success Paths lower programs, and after that some of their coaching. I know that most of the info I got in the seminars and coaching is availalbe free, much of it here.

But, this did get me a great jump start to my business. In my first three months, I've got two duplexes, that are rehabbbed and rented. I'm also working on another rehab, and have another house under contract. So four properties in a short period of time. I know I would not be this far without the training and coaching from them.

They do teach you how to make this a business, and the processes to semi-automate as much as you can. The teach about entities, asset protection, accounting and tax ramifications. I went to a three day summit in Vegas that was included in the package. I actually did get to meet Tarek and Christina, along with several other celebrities. The celebs were mixed in with presenters on financing, asset protection, marketing, and rehabbing. The conference was very valuable, and I will go again. As a member, I'm entitled to attend these whenever I want, although they only paid air and hotel for the first one. There is also another five day conference with advanced topics that I haven't attended yet.

I have a great coach through their program. We had individual coaching sessions, then group sessions on various topics. I have access to him for a year. I run offers and analysis by him on occasion. He's a pro, that has been an investor for many years, and has a ton of properties. He is really giving me great advice.

Another thing I picked up is a handful of fellow noob's that have become friends. We get together every month and compare stories. We also have some financing going on between members of our little group. The support we get from each other is great!

Property Farm is pretty cool. It's a database that contains data from public records. You can filter for area, then filter for type. The types are divorce, probate, late mortgage payments, foreclosures, out of state owners, and about a half dozen others that I can't remember. Once you run your query, you can export it to Excel. It contains owner info, and about 30 fields of data for each property. It's a pretty good tool. It probably doesn't contain data that you can find in other places, but it's nice to have it all in one tool. 

So overall was it worth it? I certainly don't think it was a waste of money. I think of it as getting a different college degree. I know I wouldn't be close to where I am now if I hadn't done all that concentrated learning. Also, knowing I've got money invested is motivating to me. I won't be walking away from this!

So that's my .02! 

It's always helpful to know if you paid upfront and how much did you pay for your training

Medium banner reiskills 997   copyBrian Gibbons, REISkills | [email protected] | 818‑400‑3046 | http://MyREISkills.com

We read similar posts weekly from dreamy-eyed real estate starters who expect the dribble that the TV stars tell them is going to be useful. It rarely is.

I disagree about expensive training as there is some (but not much) that truly can be useful. However, it's seldom of much good when you're not ready for the info. 

Most of the time these dream merchants are in the info product marketing business and only rarely make their living as true investors. Having taught for several of the big players some years ago, I saw the behind the scenes action which was sickening. 

The funny thing is that I made my fortunes in real estate and mortgage investments but the very guys and gals who preached these methods are broke, drunk or dead. No names, of course.

There is a time for investing in advanced education, however it's not early in the game. I suggest people buy the books and courses on real estate basics and fundamentals then read the classics from authors like Nickerson, John Schaub and Napier. 

Once you've got some experience under your belt you'll read topic-specific areas on rentals (Cantu) or note investing (Gordon Moss et al) and then more advanced rainmaking marketing activities for lead generation and even probate (ahem) niches.

In all, don't be discouraged as any problem that can be fixed with a checkbook is not really a problem.

I can certainly understand @David K. 's point. Some people need a bit more "hand holding" to be comfortable enough to invest their money with the potential of losing it. I also attended Than's free session and then I paid $197 to attend the FortuneBuilder 3 day class. It was also about 70% sales pitch about what you could get if you signed up for their $20k, $25k, or $35k training package. They also had the same talk about increasing credit limits and decreasing interest rates immediately after the session.

Although I decided that it wasn't right for me, I can see how it could be right for some. The bottom line is that if you feel you need this training/coaching/softwareto get our first deal, it will basically pay for itself after one good deal.

Originally posted by @Ruei-Jiun Hung :

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am also the one who attended their free course last night at Natick and unfortunately I bought the class and Tax Lein club. After reading and researching what they've done in the past, I am thinking to see if I can get refund since they have 3 days refund policy. I have another question about the Tax Lein. Do you think that type of investment is useful?

Thank you very much,

Ruei-Jiun

@Ruei-Jiun Hung did you get your refund?

Hi @Angeliki Mavrikou

Please allow me to warmly welcome you to  BiggerPockets. I know you will benefit greatly from the tools and the help and the support you will find here as a member. My name is Rubelyn. I am on the support team. Just thought I would drop you a line to say that I am happy for you, because you. I look forward to following your success stories. 

Click here to register for the next free Webinar! Have fun!

Rubelyn