Why is LoopNet known as "where deals go to die"?

Why is LoopNet known as "where deals go to die"?

Financial Advisor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Aloha e BiggerPockets Community,

I've heard on the BiggerPockets podcast and also read on other BP forum threads that LoopNet is considered to be the place where deals go to die. Can anyone explain to me how and/or why it has this nickname? I've tried inputting the numbers from some LoopNet properties on the BP Rental Calculator and have come across quite a few that seem like a good deal, but after hearing it's reputation I'm wondering if there's anything I should be aware of before reaching out to the seller.

Other forum posts mentioned that LoopNet is where sellers post listings that have already been on the MLS and did not sell. Wouldn't that make it a good source for finding deals since you know that they had difficulties selling the property, so you can offer below asking price?

Mahalo nui for your time!

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Ryan Ino:

Aloha e BiggerPockets Community,

I've heard on the BiggerPockets podcast and also read on other BP forum threads that LoopNet is considered to be the place where deals go to die. Can anyone explain to me how and/or why it has this nickname? I've tried inputting the numbers from some LoopNet properties on the BP Rental Calculator and have come across quite a few that seem like a good deal, but after hearing it's reputation I'm wondering if there's anything I should be aware of before reaching out to the seller.

Other forum posts mentioned that LoopNet is where sellers post listings that have already been on the MLS and did not sell. Wouldn't that make it a good source for finding deals since you know that they had difficulties selling the property, so you can offer below asking price?

Mahalo nui for your time!


 Because if it was a good deal, it would have sold already and most assets on loopnet are extremely overpriced.

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Ino:

    Aloha e BiggerPockets Community,

    I've heard on the BiggerPockets podcast and also read on other BP forum threads that LoopNet is considered to be the place where deals go to die. Can anyone explain to me how and/or why it has this nickname? I've tried inputting the numbers from some LoopNet properties on the BP Rental Calculator and have come across quite a few that seem like a good deal, but after hearing it's reputation I'm wondering if there's anything I should be aware of before reaching out to the seller.

    Other forum posts mentioned that LoopNet is where sellers post listings that have already been on the MLS and did not sell. Wouldn't that make it a good source for finding deals since you know that they had difficulties selling the property, so you can offer below asking price?

    Mahalo nui for your time!


     Because if it was a good deal, it would have sold already and most assets on loopnet are extremely overpriced.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2022 · 154 posts · 223 votes
    3y

    I feel Crexi is in the same sinking boat.

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 796 votes
    3y

    loopnet is a great source.  The thing with commercial is that you have to turn over every stone. what asset class are you looking for?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    If you are surfing loopnet, you are looking at overpriced property. The good deals are sold off market. 

  • Financial Advisor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    @Chris Seveney  @Bernard Joseph S.  @Eliott Elias

    Thank you for the insight! I will definitely keep all of that in mind.

    @John M.

    Thanks for your response! In terms of commercial properties I've mainly been looking at small multifamily (5-10 units), but also been analyzing a lot of fourplexes since they are a lot more common.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.