Which Property Management Software do you use?

32 Replies

Hi BP

I am a newbie currently looking for a property management tool to manage my first Triplex that I recent house hacked. Appfolio, Buildium, and Tenant Cloud, so many out there but not sure which one is best for starters like me? My goal is to purchase another duplex or two in the near future and would like to prepare for what's coming

Which one do you used? Any recommendations? Love to hear from all of you? Thanks

buildium and appfolio are probably not cost effective for 1 triplex.  I would go with excel or quickbooks.

Hello @Kwun Ho

If you need to use both a property management software and QuickBooks, take a look at TenantCloud. With a TenantCloud account, you can synchronize all transactions with your QuickBooks account. 

Makes the whole process so much easier!  

Aloha Kwun, You will receive your rent payment deposit to your account around 7 days later.  I have been using Cozy for few years.   For the monthly rental reconciliation, I can export a spreadsheet from Cozy to reconcile with my excel spreadsheet and bank statement to pay my GE taxes.  

I also use Quick Book Self Employed to keep tract of my milages.   

Mahalo, Mo

@Kwun Ho , I have recently started using Innago and really like it so far. It is completely free to use and their customer support has been fantastic. I looked at the others that have been mentioned here and this one seemed to fit our needs the best.

@Kwun Ho

Another newly developed app that I am using is Avail.co. it's great for one or even 50+ properties as it streamlines a lot of the process, even property maintenance between you and the tenant(s).

I used to use tenant cloud but it had some limitations with short term rentals lease creation. In all it didn't seem polished or very flexible to me. (this was ~2 years ago). I switched to Buildium and haven't looked back. Downside is that there are some startup costs and you will need a business checking to accept payments. 

Originally posted by @Kwun Ho :

@Jamison Conti

Thanks for the input Jamison, will definitely stay away from these named software until I am able to scale

Ignore that advise. Start using property manager from day 1. It’s worth it. Trust me. 

Start running your triplex with the concept of “how would I do this if I had 1000 of them”. You don’t want to cobble in new work flow as you grow. 

Buildium for a few units is cheap. Get it.  

@Tony Guardado I think it depends on what's important to you. Buildium's a very robust and simplified system. They're strong on everything with exception to Maintenance Management and reporting in my opinion. To be more specific, I don't agree with their system architecture when it comes to work orders. Example: A tenant submits a "task" but a system administrator (you or an employee) has to then create a work order from scratch, reassociate the work order back to the tenant task and then assign to a technician. That is a lot of time and clicking for one work order. Now, their maintenabce categories are also limited. If you expect to have SLA's associated to the maintenance category, that's not possible. And finally, the Maintenance tasks don't include tenant preferences for when the technician should come to complete the task. A scheduler will have to contact the tenant just to schedule the work order. There's absolutely no automation in this process.

Originally posted by @Henry Massey :

@Tony Guardado I think it depends on what's important to you. Buildium's a very robust and simplified system. They're strong on everything with exception to Maintenance Management and reporting in my opinion. To be more specific, I don't agree with their system architecture when it comes to work orders. Example: A tenant submits a "task" but a system administrator (you or an employee) has to then create a work order from scratch, reassociate the work order back to the tenant task and then assign to a technician. That is a lot of time and clicking for one work order. Now, their maintenabce categories are also limited. If you expect to have SLA's associated to the maintenance category, that's not possible. And finally, the Maintenance tasks don't include tenant preferences for when the technician should come to complete the task. A scheduler will have to contact the tenant just to schedule the work order. There's absolutely no automation in this process.

What are you using ?