BRRR holding costs, how do they factor?

BRRR holding costs, how do they factor?

Flipper/Rehabber · MD · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 7 votes

In BRRR strategy, what happened to the monthly finance charges during the renovation? The math that I usually hear doesn't speak to whatever you are paying your lender during the 3-6 months of renovation.

BRRR is touted as a strategy that you can use with no money of your own. But If all of the loan is tied up in purchase and renovations, how do you pay those monthly fees?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
6y

The closing costs, holding costs and refi costs are all highly overlooked expenses.  As @Jim K. mentioned, you need to account for this upfront and have additional funds and/or reserves to cover.   

If you want help calculating holding costs I put together a calculator I use for flips, DM me and I'll send you the link.  I understand you're looking to hold, but calculating the holding costs is the same exercise. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Simple answer, you have to estimate those expenses and borrow more money up front. And if you estimate wrong, you're going to have to dip into your reserves. Don't have reserves? Get ready for some BRRRR blues.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The closing costs, holding costs and refi costs are all highly overlooked expenses.  As @Jim K. mentioned, you need to account for this upfront and have additional funds and/or reserves to cover.   

    If you want help calculating holding costs I put together a calculator I use for flips, DM me and I'll send you the link.  I understand you're looking to hold, but calculating the holding costs is the same exercise. 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Andre M.

    You have to include holding cost (interest on money, utilities, property taxes, etc).  You can recoup some of those cost when its rented and you are collecting rent while completing the refi.  I include it, but I would agree with you its probably not talked about enough. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · MD · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the speedy reply, guys. I will have some reserves for sure, don't want to be left out in the cold (pun intended) with BRRR. @TomShallcross I'll definitely take you up on that offer, appreciate it!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Tom Shallcross:

    The closing costs, holding costs and refi costs are all highly overlooked expenses.  As @Jim K. mentioned, you need to account for this upfront and have additional funds and/or reserves to cover.   

    If you want help calculating holding costs I put together a calculator I use for flips, DM me and I'll send you the link.  I understand you're looking to hold, but calculating the holding costs is the same exercise. 


    Hi Tom would you mind sending me that calculator as well? Thanks in advance 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.