• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Maryland
Votes |
BRRR holding costs, how do they factor?

Andre M.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Maryland
Posted Feb 21 2020, 14:33

In BRRR strategy, what happened to the monthly finance charges during the renovation? The math that I usually hear doesn't speak to whatever you are paying your lender during the 3-6 months of renovation.

BRRR is touted as a strategy that you can use with no money of your own. But If all of the loan is tied up in purchase and renovations, how do you pay those monthly fees?

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Feb 21 2020, 14:53

Simple answer, you have to estimate those expenses and borrow more money up front. And if you estimate wrong, you're going to have to dip into your reserves. Don't have reserves? Get ready for some BRRRR blues.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Shallcross
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Replied Feb 21 2020, 16:22

The closing costs, holding costs and refi costs are all highly overlooked expenses.  As @Jim K. mentioned, you need to account for this upfront and have additional funds and/or reserves to cover.   

If you want help calculating holding costs I put together a calculator I use for flips, DM me and I'll send you the link.  I understand you're looking to hold, but calculating the holding costs is the same exercise. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Replied Feb 21 2020, 16:34

@Andre M.

You have to include holding cost (interest on money, utilities, property taxes, etc).  You can recoup some of those cost when its rented and you are collecting rent while completing the refi.  I include it, but I would agree with you its probably not talked about enough. 

User Stats

Votes
Andre M.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Maryland
Replied Feb 21 2020, 17:31

Thanks for the speedy reply, guys. I will have some reserves for sure, don't want to be left out in the cold (pun intended) with BRRR. @TomShallcross I'll definitely take you up on that offer, appreciate it!

User Stats

Votes
Rod Youte
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 21 2023, 20:50
Quote from @Tom Shallcross:

The closing costs, holding costs and refi costs are all highly overlooked expenses.  As @Jim K. mentioned, you need to account for this upfront and have additional funds and/or reserves to cover.   

If you want help calculating holding costs I put together a calculator I use for flips, DM me and I'll send you the link.  I understand you're looking to hold, but calculating the holding costs is the same exercise. 

Hi Tom would you mind sending me that calculator as well? Thanks in advance