Property managers in Oakland County, MI

6 Replies

Hi bigger pockets community!

So after getting started in the community, I've got my first purchase going to closing next week. Very excited. It's a duplex, at a reasonable price in the Oak Park, MI area. It's already tenanted with one good tenant, but with another tenant that I'll need to evict. That tenant is on a month-to-month, long history of delinquency, plus that unit has enough minor issues to fail inspection by the city. But that's a story for another day, probably in stories section of BP.

I'm looking for a good property manager in the Metro Detroit area (read, oakland county). I've read the bar in Metro Detroit is pretty low and you have to be pretty hands on. I live 5mins away from my property, but I haven't the time to be full time property management. It does mean I can drop by to keep people honest though haha :)

Does anyone in the area have any recommendations? I met the guys at Castle Property Management and they seem legit, but being very new, I'm not super-excited about trusting my very first property to them.

Drew Sygit at Royal Rose manages some of my properties including a couple in Oak Park. I am pleased with his performance. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Originally posted by @James De Silva :

Hi bigger pockets community!

So after getting started in the community, I've got my first purchase going to closing next week. Very excited. It's a duplex, at a reasonable price in the Oak Park, MI area. It's already tenanted with one good tenant, but with another tenant that I'll need to evict. That tenant is on a month-to-month, long history of delinquency, plus that unit has enough minor issues to fail inspection by the city. But that's a story for another day, probably in stories section of BP.

I'm looking for a good property manager in the Metro Detroit area (read, oakland county). I've read the bar in Metro Detroit is pretty low and you have to be pretty hands on. I live 5mins away from my property, but I haven't the time to be full time property management. It does mean I can drop by to keep people honest though haha :)

Does anyone in the area have any recommendations? I met the guys at Castle Property Management and they seem legit, but being very new, I'm not super-excited about trusting my very first property to them.

James, just wanted to follow up and see if Castle worked out for you or Not? I'm looking for a management company as well and this was one of the places I heard about. 

There was a documentary done on Castle on PBS... Honestly what I dont get is they find tenants and manage properties and sell the service to landlords all under same name so their reviews are both from tenants and investors and both are mixed.

I am following this posting with high interest for my properties are in Oakland County MI and have been thinking of getting a prop manager as well.

@Caroline M. - you need to flag @James De Silva if you are reaching out to him and you would like a response -(especially on a post form over 2 years ago). 

I can tell you that I used Castle when I was invested in Detroit and our relationship ended after they mismanaged one of my sec 8 properties into abatement, lost the tenant and thereafter simply walked away from the mess they had created (simply informed me that they would no longer be managing the property). 

Unfortunately I cannot recommend them or any other PM in Detroit- I went through 3 of them and all were disasters. Have since exited the Detroit market and couldn't be happier.

@Caroline M. @Patrick Squires  

PJ from Castle here. I don't want to get flagged for self promotion so please DM me if there are questions that I or one of my colleagues can answer. Happy to chat! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.