Greer, South Carolina --- Opinions

9 Replies

I'm currently looking at a properties in Greer, SC in the vicinity of the Walmart Super Center off of East Wade Hampton Blvd. The one opposite the Chevy Dealer. 

Would you invest there? 

What are rents for a 2bdrm/1bath apartment?

How are the schools (in general) ?  and Crestview Elementary, specifically.

Is the area in growth or decline?

and anything else you may think relevant.

Yes, I did my online research and have spoken to brokers, now I'm looking for actual real life experience. You can only trust online so much and brokers always make it look good. But what do the unbiased boots on the ground say?

Originally posted by @Neil Schoepp :

I'm currently looking at a properties in Greer, SC in the vicinity of the Walmart Super Center off of East Wade Hampton Blvd. The one opposite the Chevy Dealer. 

Would you invest there? 

What are rents for a 2bdrm/1bath apartment?

How are the schools (in general) ?  and Crestview Elementary, specifically.

Is the area in growth or decline?

and anything else you may think relevant.

Yes, I did my online research and have spoken to brokers, now I'm looking for actual real life experience. You can only trust online so much and brokers always make it look good. But what do the unbiased boots on the ground say?

I'd wait to ask that question until the hurricane is over, partner.

I've invested in Greer for 15 years.  In my opinion deals are tougher to come by right now than I have ever seen them.  I have begun to look elsewhere.  It sounds like you my be talking about the sunnyside area.  If so, I have always avoided it.  Did you get the property under contract?

Hey @Jason Burr. I passed on the property. The broker stopped getting back to me once I asked for the T12. It is very near Sunnyside Blvd so it could very well be the Sunnyside area. I kinda got the sense it was a "C" area. Would you agree with that or is it closer to a "D".

@Neil Schoepp , I would agree with Jason. I live and own a rental in Greer. I would avoid the Sunnyside area or area around the Walmart Super Center in general. I'm not entirely sure how to designate the area but I would not invest there. Greer has plenty of nice neighborhoods, but anything that goes on the market doesn't last very long.

@Neil Schoepp I would argue that the sunnyside area isn't as bad as some areas you find in Greenville or Spartanburg.  However, if Greer has a D area, this is it.  I'm curious as to why you are choosing Greer for investments?  Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

@Adam Drummond apologies for the late response. I grew up in the Victor Mill area, 25th St to be exact. The area itself it generally safe. There are a lot of rental properties in the area. I read in the news that they are seeking to develop the mill into a subdivision but not entirely sure when. It's close to downtown so that's a plus. The only thing I don't like is that I haven't many homes being remodeled in the area.

Have you checked out the Greer Mill? Some investors purchased it about a year ago and are seeking to turn it into apartments and commercial space (Greer Mill Development). I have a rental property in the area and I've seen at least 7 other homes that have either been built completely from scratch or remodeled. Once the mill is redone, I'm sure there will be more remodeling activity.

I know some would advise against it but I say be the first to fix and flip. Set the comps for the area. I own several lots in Spartanburg and I plan to do just that. I have 6 lots in the same location so all it takes is for one lot to sell at the price I want and the other 5 will follow.