Moving to Omaha,where to invest?

10 Replies

Currently got notified that my family and I will be moving to the Omaha NE area.(Military move). We are going to put our current home on the market for rent, and purchase again. I'm looking for some insight on the area and a knowledgeable realtor who could help. I would like to move in to the property and later turn it into a rental. Thoughts,advice, tips... I'm all ears. Thanks all!

Hi I’m a realtor and grew up military. Welcome to Nebraska. Offutt AFB is next to Bellevue which has a lot of active duty people/families. A little further west is the city of Papillion (which is where I live) and La Vista. Both also have a lot of military families and have been seeing tremendous growth both in upscale residential and commercial properties as well as shopping areas. Sarpy county as a whole has many great schools and an incredible amount of new builds. Let me know if I can be of any help. 

(Please excuse the grammar as I’m on my cell phone)

Originally posted by @Christina Colon :

Currently got notified that my family and I will be moving to the Omaha NE area.(Military move). We are going to put our current home on the market for rent, and purchase again. I'm looking for some insight on the area and a knowledgeable realtor who could help. I would like to move in to the property and later turn it into a rental. Thoughts,advice, tips... I'm all ears. Thanks all!

I can't tell you where to invest because I don't know your goals overall, but I own houses in both Douglas and Sarpy counties. Property prices are still relatively low and rents are decent. I think Omaha is a great city to invest. I have experienced a lot of appreciation in just a few years, which surprised me because I didn't expect it here.

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden :
Originally posted by @Christina Colon:

I can't tell you where to invest because I don't know your goals overall, but I own houses in both Douglas and Sarpy counties. Property prices are still relatively low and rents are decent. I think Omaha is a great city to invest. I have experienced a lot of appreciation in just a few years, which surprised me because I didn't expect it here.

My goal is to start a portfolio of single family/multi family rentals. I should retire from the Air Force in 7-9 years. Thats great news on the appreciation within the area. 

Originally posted by @Marina Loos :

Hi I’m a realtor and grew up military. Welcome to Nebraska. Offutt AFB is next to Bellevue which has a lot of active duty people/families. A little further west is the city of Papillion (which is where I live) and La Vista. Both also have a lot of military families and have been seeing tremendous growth both in upscale residential and commercial properties as well as shopping areas. Sarpy county as a whole has many great schools and an incredible amount of new builds. Let me know if I can be of any help. 

(Please excuse the grammar as I’m on my cell phone)

Marina, 

Bellevue and Papillion both looked like great communities.  I will reach out to you! 

@Christina Colon There are a lot of good areas to invest in the Omaha metro area. Of course it does depend what you are looking for and what type of property you want. In the city core you will tend to find homes built between 1910-1960ish. The city tends to get newer the further west you go from the Missouri river. Then in the outskirts and suburbs is where you will find the newer housing stock built 1980's ish through today. That includes Bellevue, Papillion, LaVista, Millard, Elkhorn, ect.  Like others have said it really depends what your goals are, there are still good opportunities here. I personally try to buy in the midtown Omaha area but thats just because I am most familiar with those homes and you can still get a good rent to purchase price ratio. 

Welcome, @Christina Colon !  I agree with the great comments from @Marina Loos , @Anthony Gayden , and @Chris Egan .

In my mind, it really does depend on your goals.  I could imagine one of two routes:  

1) You get a house close to the base, in Bellevue. Since you're planning on living in the property, that will maximize your quality of life while you're living there by minimizing your commute. Plus, the military families coming to Offutt could give you a steady stream of renters. The homes there are newer and less likely to have issues common to older homes - but if you're a BRRRR investor, that might limit your potential to build equity through rehab.

2)  If you're looking for a BRRRR investment, you might want to look at older homes through the heart of the city, like Chris pointed out.  Just pay attention to individual neighborhoods.  As you get further north, crime can be spotty and property values go down.