Rental Property Advice Starting Out (Birmingham, AL)

Rental Property Advice Starting Out (Birmingham, AL)

Oxford AL · Member since 2025 · 22 posts · 9 votes

Hello Everyone!

I live about an hour away from Birmingham AL and I have decided it will be the market I begin my portfolio in. I would love to know more information on the market so that I can reach for a specific amount of capital needed for my initial costs to purchase and maintain my first property, such as... 

- how long (when priced correctly) does it typically take to have tenants vetted, moved in, and paying rent in the market

- outside of the down payment, closing costs, inspection fee, and appraisal fees what should I expect or be wary of when purchasing?

- where do I find out specific information on a property's HOA fee's?

- what are the typically the rates/costs of these fees(appraisal, inspection, etc.) in Birmingham 

*due to my lack of annual income, assets, and fresh credit, assume I used a DSCR loan because that will most likely be the case in my position*

Any answers or additional information on building my portfolio, purchasing my first deal, different financing methods outside of a DSCR loan, or the Birmingham market in general will be greatly appreciated!

I would love to talk further with any agents, investors, lenders, etc. familiar with the market.

Thank you, 

Kyler

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeremy GallowayPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 53 votes
1y

- how long (when priced correctly) does it typically take to have tenants vetted, moved in, and paying rent in the market. It should be within a month if all those things are correct. I would confirm the area with a Property management company to get the best market analysis for that neighborhood, because it can vary from street to street.  

- outside of the down payment, closing costs, inspection fee, and appraisal fees what should I expect or be wary of when purchasing? Insurance for the year, holding cost for the mortgage while you get it rented if it's not already when purchased, PM fees, property taxes. 

- where do I find out specific information on a property's HOA fee's? The owner should let you know that, if it's active on the market it could have that info, or check with an agent. 

- what are the typically the rates/costs of these fees(appraisal, inspection, etc.) in Birmingham Inspection is 300-500, appraisal 500-700, title and attorney are dependant on the cost of the house and the attorney you are closing it with. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Kyler Wright

    can you start with a house hack instead?

    • Oxford AL · Member since 2025 · 22 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Kyler Wright

      can you start with a house hack instead?


       Hey Nicholas, thank you for your response.

      I was definitely planning on house-hacking for my first property, which I should have mentioned. Do you think I should look at duplexes in particular for my first to simplify the process, or would it be smarter to look for multi-family homes with 3 or 4 units? 

  • Jeremy GallowayPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 53 votes
    1y

    - how long (when priced correctly) does it typically take to have tenants vetted, moved in, and paying rent in the market. It should be within a month if all those things are correct. I would confirm the area with a Property management company to get the best market analysis for that neighborhood, because it can vary from street to street.  

    - outside of the down payment, closing costs, inspection fee, and appraisal fees what should I expect or be wary of when purchasing? Insurance for the year, holding cost for the mortgage while you get it rented if it's not already when purchased, PM fees, property taxes. 

    - where do I find out specific information on a property's HOA fee's? The owner should let you know that, if it's active on the market it could have that info, or check with an agent. 

    - what are the typically the rates/costs of these fees(appraisal, inspection, etc.) in Birmingham Inspection is 300-500, appraisal 500-700, title and attorney are dependant on the cost of the house and the attorney you are closing it with. 

    • Oxford AL · Member since 2025 · 22 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jeremy Galloway:

      - how long (when priced correctly) does it typically take to have tenants vetted, moved in, and paying rent in the market. It should be within a month if all those things are correct. I would confirm the area with a Property management company to get the best market analysis for that neighborhood, because it can vary from street to street.  

      - outside of the down payment, closing costs, inspection fee, and appraisal fees what should I expect or be wary of when purchasing? Insurance for the year, holding cost for the mortgage while you get it rented if it's not already when purchased, PM fees, property taxes. 

      - where do I find out specific information on a property's HOA fee's? The owner should let you know that, if it's active on the market it could have that info, or check with an agent. 

      - what are the typically the rates/costs of these fees(appraisal, inspection, etc.) in Birmingham Inspection is 300-500, appraisal 500-700, title and attorney are dependant on the cost of the house and the attorney you are closing it with. 


       Thank you so much Jeremy, these answers were greatly appreciated!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Kyler Wright 

    1) Tenant Placement: national average is around 49 days, see graph below.

    2) Additional Funds: depends on property, but you'll need 12 months of property taxes & insurance, as well as another 3-5% of loan amount for closing costs.

    3) HOA Fees: Stay away from condos! Otherwise, contact the HOA!

    4) Upfront, nonrefundalbe Fees: Appraisals $500-800, Inspections $300-600

    5) Why don't you have income?
    You have 20-25% down and a 680+ FICO score?

    • Oxford AL · Member since 2025 · 22 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      @Kyler Wright 

      1) Tenant Placement: national average is around 49 days, see graph below.

      2) Additional Funds: depends on property, but you'll need 12 months of property taxes & insurance, as well as another 3-5% of loan amount for closing costs.

      3) HOA Fees: Stay away from condos! Otherwise, contact the HOA!

      4) Upfront, nonrefundalbe Fees: Appraisals $500-800, Inspections $300-600

      5) Why don't you have income?
      You have 20-25% down and a 680+ FICO score?


       Drew I am very appreciative of your response! Thank you for going out of your way to insert the graph as well. 

      Thank you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.