Buy and hold - How do you keep on top of everything?

Buy and hold - How do you keep on top of everything?

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes

Hi fellow investors, I have several buy and hold properties that I rent out through a property manager. But I'd like to know, when people get to a scale of 20/30/40/50 rent and hold properties, even with property managers, how do you sanely stay on top of it all if you're also working a full-time job? Granted, property managers help. But there are still things you need to stay on top of (keeping track of expenses, responding to one-off issues, etc.). I asked people that I personally know, and they admittedly said they don't have a good system in place. In other words, things slip through the cracks from time to time. I'd like to know from others here, if they have people in place, managing the property managers, or what other processes/routines they have in place to keep things sane. Thanks!

1Reply
262 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Masoud ArouniPro Member
    Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2026 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    5mo

    Good question and honestly most people at that scale admit the same thing — systems are patchwork. The ones I've seen handle it well treat their portfolio like a business with a weekly review rhythm: PM report, expense log, any open items. Simple but consistent beats sophisticated and ignored.

    What markets are your properties in — all Bay Area or spread out?

  • J CastroBusiness Member
    Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 697 posts · 252 votes
    5mo

    Hey @Ryan Cruz, welcome to BP!
    Great question—and you’re right, once you get past ~10–15 doors, it stops being about “working harder” and starts being about building a real operating system.

    A few things that tend to separate organized portfolios from chaotic ones:

    1. Property manager ≠ system (you still need oversight)
    Good investors don’t just “have a PM,” they set up:

    • Monthly reporting standards (rent roll, delinquencies, repairs over X dollars)
    • Approval thresholds (e.g., anything over $300 requires owner sign-off)
    • Clear SLAs for response times and maintenance handling

    2. Centralized tracking (non-negotiable at scale)
    Most people who lose track of things are juggling emails/texts/spreadsheets.
    At scale, you need a single source of truth for:

    • Cash flow per property
    • Expenses & CapEx
    • Lease dates / renewals / insurance / taxes

    Even a simple dashboard beats scattered systems.

    3. Scheduled portfolio reviews
    Instead of reacting daily, most experienced operators do:

    • Monthly: performance + cash flow check
    • Quarterly: rent analysis + expense creep + refinance opportunities
    • Annual: full portfolio repositioning strategy

    4. “Manager of the manager” mindset
    At 20+ units, many investors either:

    • Hire a VA/asset manager to interface with PMs, or
    • Use strict reporting systems so PMs are effectively managed, not just “trusted”

    5. Reduce decision fatigue
    The biggest hidden issue isn’t tracking—it’s constant small decisions.
    Clear rules (repair limits, eviction thresholds, rent increase policy) remove 80% of day-to-day thinking.

    At scale, the goal isn’t perfect oversight—it’s controlled blind spots, where nothing critical can slip without triggering a system alert.

    Curious how others here are handling it too—are most people running lean dashboards, or actually delegating asset management roles at that point?

    JCREIG Capital Funding
    • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Masoud Arouni:

      Good question and honestly most people at that scale admit the same thing — systems are patchwork. The ones I've seen handle it well treat their portfolio like a business with a weekly review rhythm: PM report, expense log, any open items. Simple but consistent beats sophisticated and ignored.

      What markets are your properties in — all Bay Area or spread out?

      Thanks @Masoud Arouni I too, try to apply a "simple but consistent" approach, especially with bookkeeping, etc.. Be consistent with tracking expenses - having processes, worksheets and keeping things up to date on regular, periodic intervals. The issue I see is that the effort spent on bookkeeping seems like it'll inevitably grow proportionally.

    • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @J Castro:

      Hey @Ryan Cruz, welcome to BP!
      Great question—and you’re right, once you get past ~10–15 doors, it stops being about “working harder” and starts being about building a real operating system.

      A few things that tend to separate organized portfolios from chaotic ones:

      1. Property manager ≠ system (you still need oversight)
      Good investors don’t just “have a PM,” they set up:

      • Monthly reporting standards (rent roll, delinquencies, repairs over X dollars)
      • Approval thresholds (e.g., anything over $300 requires owner sign-off)
      • Clear SLAs for response times and maintenance handling

      2. Centralized tracking (non-negotiable at scale)
      Most people who lose track of things are juggling emails/texts/spreadsheets.
      At scale, you need a single source of truth for:

      • Cash flow per property
      • Expenses & CapEx
      • Lease dates / renewals / insurance / taxes

      Even a simple dashboard beats scattered systems.

      3. Scheduled portfolio reviews
      Instead of reacting daily, most experienced operators do:

      • Monthly: performance + cash flow check
      • Quarterly: rent analysis + expense creep + refinance opportunities
      • Annual: full portfolio repositioning strategy

      4. “Manager of the manager” mindset
      At 20+ units, many investors either:

      • Hire a VA/asset manager to interface with PMs, or
      • Use strict reporting systems so PMs are effectively managed, not just “trusted”

      5. Reduce decision fatigue
      The biggest hidden issue isn’t tracking—it’s constant small decisions.
      Clear rules (repair limits, eviction thresholds, rent increase policy) remove 80% of day-to-day thinking.

      At scale, the goal isn’t perfect oversight—it’s controlled blind spots, where nothing critical can slip without triggering a system alert.

      Curious how others here are handling it too—are most people running lean dashboards, or actually delegating asset management roles at that point?

      Thanks @J Castro I'm definitely with you oversight with property managers. Thankfully a lot of the structure you've mentioned (ex. reporting standards, approval thresholds, etc.), are already in place with the property managers I work with. What you raise brings to mind there's still room for improvement, which I should take up. Thanks for that. Regarding centralized tracking. I have what I feel to be a sophisticated worksheet where I feed it info from either the PM reports or the corresponding bank account on the property. When each line item is categorized properly, I can get a dashboard-like view for each month of each property...it's loss or profit. And then I can zoom that out to the entire year. So I can see each property and its performance month-by-month, and the year entire. But I'm all for seeing how others do it too.

      You bring up a good point about reducing decision fatigue as well, and I'll take a step back and see how much manual intervention I've had to do, see if there are patterns, and see where I can define clearer rules such that manual intervention isn't needed.

  • Jacob CamhiBusiness Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 132 posts · 40 votes
    5mo

    Totally feel you on this. Once you get past a handful of doors, “just wing it” stops working pretty fast.

    What I see working for people in that 20 to 50 range with a W2 is basically three things: clear rules for your manager, one simple system, and a weekly check in. Your PM handles residents and vendors. You handle strategy and money. So you write down what they can approve without you (repairs under X dollars, lease renewals within a range, screening criteria) and what has to hit your inbox.

    Then you keep it stupid simple on the backend: one email for rentals, one place for money, one folder for docs. No mixing it into your personal inbox and random files on your laptop. Once a week you do a 30 minute “owner meeting” with yourself where you skim PM updates, approve anything open, log expenses, and drop statements into the right folder. That alone keeps most stuff from slipping.

    If it is still too noisy, the next step is not more apps, it is a tiny bit of help. A VA or bookkeeper a few hours a month to keep the inbox and tracker clean so you only touch actual decisions. At that point you are really just running a small business on the side, and the moment you treat it that way, it gets a lot more sane.

    • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jacob Camhi:

      Totally feel you on this. Once you get past a handful of doors, “just wing it” stops working pretty fast.

      What I see working for people in that 20 to 50 range with a W2 is basically three things: clear rules for your manager, one simple system, and a weekly check in. Your PM handles residents and vendors. You handle strategy and money. So you write down what they can approve without you (repairs under X dollars, lease renewals within a range, screening criteria) and what has to hit your inbox.

      Then you keep it stupid simple on the backend: one email for rentals, one place for money, one folder for docs. No mixing it into your personal inbox and random files on your laptop. Once a week you do a 30 minute “owner meeting” with yourself where you skim PM updates, approve anything open, log expenses, and drop statements into the right folder. That alone keeps most stuff from slipping.

      If it is still too noisy, the next step is not more apps, it is a tiny bit of help. A VA or bookkeeper a few hours a month to keep the inbox and tracker clean so you only touch actual decisions. At that point you are really just running a small business on the side, and the moment you treat it that way, it gets a lot more sane.

      Thanks @Jacob Camhi you bring up good points. I do have separate email/place/folders for all that stuff. I definitely do _not_ mix personal stuff with any of that. I can't imagine trying to untangle what would be a hot mess if that were to happen. I see a similar theme with what you and others here are saying. Having regular bite-sized amounts of time to address things can help make things feel much more manageable, even at scale. And if I get to a point where the scale really is crazy, getting help even a few hours a month may be worth it. What you bring up makes me thing of another angle as well. I'm going see what time-consuming mundane work there is (ex. parsing through reports and porting it to a Google sheet) and seeing what AI can take on.@Jacob Camhi

  • TX · Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3mo

    This is a great thread!  I'm relatively new here, but this is such a familiar situation and I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in my situation
    One nuance for me is I'm part of an LLC with friends, we own 11 properties all handled via the same property manager. Thanks to my partners, we run a really tight ship for our taxes, bookkeeping and insurance. My role is primarily on the maintenance side, managing the property manager on the maintenance and turns that come in.
    My property manager follows all the typical best practices listed on here, and follows the rules diligently, about what requires approval, which just requires being informed, etc.
    But it has grown to the point where they email me over 1000 times per year and the issues start to blend together... properties tend to have the same issues, water heaters, shower leaks, foundations, etc... so finding them in my gmail is a challenge.

    I'm curious to learn how others handle this.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Ryan Cruz:

    Hi fellow investors, I have several buy and hold properties that I rent out through a property manager. But I'd like to know, when people get to a scale of 20/30/40/50 rent and hold properties, even with property managers, how do you sanely stay on top of it all if you're also working a full-time job? Granted, property managers help. But there are still things you need to stay on top of (keeping track of expenses, responding to one-off issues, etc.). I asked people that I personally know, and they admittedly said they don't have a good system in place. In other words, things slip through the cracks from time to time. I'd like to know from others here, if they have people in place, managing the property managers, or what other processes/routines they have in place to keep things sane. Thanks!


    In addition to working at a PMC, I also have a decent portfolio or my own rentals.

    What works for me is two key monthly reports:

    1) Rent Performance: allows me to see tenant balances, last payment dates, etc. Think of it as a Rent Roll+. I have to manually add a column "Months Behind" by dividing Current Balance by Monthly Rent, then sorting highest to lowest. Gives a good view of potential problem tenants that I can then look more closely into.

    2) YTD P&L with Monthly Comparison: when everything is running smoothly, there's really not much to worry about. This report allows me to quickly identify any anomalies that warrant further research. Many times it's a recent maintenance expense I'm already aware of, but it's a great way to stay on top of outliers efficiently.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    3mo

    @Drew Sygit My Google Sheet, which has one sheet for each property, and a dashboard-level sheet that shows each properties performance month by month...I believe best corresponds to your P&L sheet. To your point, it helps me identify anomalies, and sees the performance of each property. Would you mind sharing a blank copy of your Rent Performance report? Although I have a property manager for my properties, I am interested in seeing the format of such a report and how it can potentially benefit me.

    Actually, going forward, I've thought of using AI (Claude in this case) to help me automate the parsing of CSVs from the bank and PDF packets from the property manager. I had to create guidelines for AI to follow, so that took some time to create and refine. But I had it parse my latest quarter's worth of data (April - June) and it's working really great! I've got to think it will save me a ton of time going forward. So I'd say my biggest takeaway is to use AI where you can and give it clear instructions. I'd imagine it can parse practically any type of data format that we'd realistically see as investors. Hope that helps!

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo

    I have 39 properties and just wing it. lol. I have a folder for each property that helps me keep track of everything. When I have an expense, I write the expense in the folder and jam a receipt in. Done. I total up my expenses at tax time and use turbo tax to file. So far it's been easy to self manage my properties and work a W2. 

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    3mo

    Ryan, the parser is the right instinct, but I would make it prove 3 things before trusting it: every PM statement line ties to a bank movement, every expense has a property and document, and every exception stays open until cleared.

    Full disclosure, I am founder and operator at DoorVault, the AI asset manager for investors who use PMs. The hard part is not reading one PDF. It is getting three PM formats, bank deposits, receipts, and tax categories to agree every month without rebuilding the same sheet.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    3mo

    @Eduardo Cavasotti - yes, I completely agree. In my flow, I have a separate agent serve in the role of an Auditor, where it makes sure of things like (but not limited to):

    * Every line item in the bank statement accounted for - it should have an outcome

    * Every item in the property management statement is accounted for

    * Amounts match between a given statement and where it ends up in your final sheet

    * Anomaly detection - Look for values for a given category that are outside the normal range expected (ex. a rent amount that's 2x what's there)

    The key is that the agent runs separate from the agent that's doing the parsing. In the early going, manually verifying things is unavoidable, as I want to see with my own two eyes, that the flow is working as intended. However, I've found that to be much less time-consuming compared to the complete manual flow that I was doing previously. 

    My human verification workflow is such that the AI output it written to an intermediate and temporary worksheet where I can then review and select a PASS/FAIL outcome on each row. The PASS rows make it into the sheet, while the FAIL ones get rectified and if possible, I update the rules/guidelines, so that it won't make the same mistake going forward. I will tweak this flow as time goes on. But either way, right off the bat, there's already been a significant time savings.

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    3mo

    @Ryan Cruz the separate auditor agent is the right architecture. Parsing and verification have to be adversarial or the parser ends up grading its own homework. Your PASS FAIL row review is exactly the pattern that holds up.

    That whole flow is exactly what DoorVault does. It is the AI asset manager for investors who use property managers, and I run my own portfolio on it. It reads the PM statements, bank feeds, and receipts, ties every statement line to an actual bank movement, and anything it cannot prove lands in a review queue where you approve or fix row by row. Same idea as your intermediate worksheet, with one addition that saved me the most time: every correction teaches the system, so the fix you make in July does not come back in August. It oversees more than $18M in rental real estate today, with over 40,000 transactions reconciled. The two catches that justify all of it: deposits the PM reported that never hit the bank, and the same charge showing up twice.

    @Nick DiCarlo your 1,000 emails a year problem is the other half of what pushed me to build this. I forward every property email in and it files each one to the right property with the document attached, so water heater number three on the same house is findable in seconds instead of buried in Gmail threads.

    Ryan, happy to compare notes on the audit rules I run against PM statements if useful. Your manual version is honestly 90 percent of the way there. The last 10 percent is making the exceptions impossible to ignore.

  • TX · Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3mo

    Thank you for this discussion all! 
    @Eduardo Cavasotti I'll give DoorVault a free trial. I guess I'll see it when I sign up, but how do you plug into the PM portal (e.g. buildium, appfolio, using my creditial? it seems like you offer either that or email forwarding.  Of course the automatic PM portal sync is preferred.

    @Ryan Cruz impressed with your motivation to build your own solution.

    @Drew Sygit not sure what your experience has been, but I see huge year to year variance in property performance, so outliers are the norm, though each year it seems to be a new outlier.  The issues all tend to be easy to explain, though often painful. (e.g. 2 properties got new 50ft sewer lines, foundation work and remediation this year).  What falls through the cracks for me is when these big and small issues pile up, and an open item falls through the cracks of approvals from me or follow up from the property manager, or she sent it, I approved it, and then I didn't follow up that it was done and maybe the tenant gets annoyed. .  And generally I think my PM company is quite good and organized, its just a lot of detail to keep up with.

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    3mo

    @Nick DiCarlo good question, and it is the right one to ask before connecting anything. We never hold your portal credentials. DoorVault Connect, our Chrome extension, is how the portal sync works: you sign into the extension with your DoorVault login, then sign into Buildium, AppFolio, or RentManager the way you normally do, and it imports through that authorized session. Your portal password never touches us.

    There are 2 ways to bring PM data in: DoorVault Connect for the structured portal data, and email forwarding for everything else, invoices, leases, the water heater emails, all filed to the right property. Use either or both. I run my own portfolio on Connect.

    Once you are in, the onboarding walks you through your portfolio so Knox knows your properties, then you connect your data and Knox starts tracking and reconciling from there. It is free for 2 properties, so you can prove it on real data before paying anything. If you need anything along the way, message me directly inside DoorVault.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.