HGTV

11 Replies

I've been watching HGTV lately, and I been watching shows like Flip or Flop. I know they don't show all the stuff that happens in a daily lives of flipping houses. I just want to know is anything on HGTV like real life?

No... I would say it is a lot harder than it looks and there are a lot more things to be concerned about than what you see on TV. Plus, they have the connections with professionals to get jobs done. You, on the hand, probably don't know the cheapest roofer, GC, plumber, asbestos remover, etc, person in town who is also reliable. It takes a lot more than you think to make a flip happen. But everybody has to start somewhere so by no means should you think you can't do it.

Medium srr logo w backgroundColin Smith, Solid Rock Realty | [email protected] | 719‑232‑6709 | http://www.SolidRockRE.com | CO Agent # ER.100052152

No! Not at all.

I can't stand watching List it or Love it because the rehabber seems to miss the most obvious structural issues. Its like the designer goes in there, doesn't realize that the sagging floor might mean there is a problem, and then is surprised when there is a major foundation problem. 

I do enjoy watching Holmes Inspections although they too over do it. They fix EVERY single POSSIBLE tiny little problem and treat it as a huge issue. 

The biggest fallacy in that show, for me at least, is how much they guys seem to be surprised by new problems. I remember watching the chick that does flips and she was surprised she had to reroof the roof.... well, generally you can tell the condition of the shingles from outside - its not complete rocket science.

And obviously, these projects take time. My guess is there is a real GC on site at these properties managing the project while the star is going from house to house filming segments here and there for the show. 

Steven J., Will See Real Estate | 240‑394‑5733 | http://WillSeeRealEstate.com

Originally posted by @Colin Smith :

No... I would say it is a lot harder than it looks and there are a lot more things to be concerned about than what you see on TV. Plus, they have the connections with professionals to get jobs done. You, on the hand, probably don't know the cheapest roofer, GC, plumber, asbestos remover, etc, person in town who is also reliable. It takes a lot more than you think to make a flip happen. But everybody has to start somewhere so by no means should you think you can't do it.

First, thanks Colin for replying to my post. You're totally right about it being way harder than it look and I agree most people have no connections like them, but thanks for the word of encouragement.

Originally posted by @Steven J. :

No! Not at all.

I can't stand watching List it or Love it because the rehabber seems to miss the most obvious structural issues. Its like the designer goes in there, doesn't realize that the sagging floor might mean there is a problem, and then is surprised when there is a major foundation problem. 

I do enjoy watching Holmes Inspections although they too over do it. They fix EVERY single POSSIBLE tiny little problem and treat it as a huge issue. 

The biggest fallacy in that show, for me at least, is how much they guys seem to be surprised by new problems. I remember watching the chick that does flips and she was surprised she had to reroof the roof.... well, generally you can tell the condition of the shingles from outside - its not complete rocket science.

And obviously, these projects take time. My guess is there is a real GC on site at these properties managing the project while the star is going from house to house filming segments here and there for the show. 

Thanks for replying to my post Steven and HA! you are right they do seem to be surprised by the most obvious thing and I like your insights on what you think really be happening.

No!  Totally different in real life, everything always costs way more than you think and you end up making way less.  I swear on TV they just make every deal look good!

@ce'darious roberson 

The @ isnt working, but anyway I love watching HGTV not because I believe these shows, but because it is entertaining and I like to see the before and after and get ideas.  I see a lot of the shows how they do things wrong or do unnecessary steps, but its TV so I know that its just entertainment.  The only show that I think might be more realistic is renovation realities, but that show isn't very entertaining and most of the time they dont show the finished product because they never finish like how some people are in real life.  That show seems more like a documentary to me than a reality show, so I rarely watch it.  

My friend was on house hunters before and she said that its all staged she couldnt disclose what happens but pretty much you find a place then apply and then they go and look at different places acting like it might be a possibility just for the show.  That is probably how it is with these renovation shows they know there is a problem, but for drama they act like it was an unforeseen problem.

Don't we all wish it were easy to grab some property in 10 mins by calling the broker or attending an "auction".

If I hear "ooo the colors in this granite will pop" one more time..lol!

Originally posted by @Ce'Darious Roberson :

I've been watching HGTV lately, and I been watching shows like Flip or Flop. I know they don't show all the stuff that happens in a daily lives of flipping houses. I just want to know is anything on HGTV like real life?

As they say a lot of what really happens ends up on the editing room floor.  The real world is never as easy as TV.  But I will say I had a chance to meet and talk with Tarek El Moussa of "Flip or Flop".  He was at a home they just finished.  What they say in the opening he confirmed.  He and his wife started flipping as the market turned and they have had some struggles.  YEARS of trial and error have gotten them to the point where they are renovating many houses now.  I see that experience has gotten them the resources they have to be able to have a business that is profitable.  I'm sure the "profit" shown at the end of the shows don't reflect all the cost they incur.  Its still inspirational to know that it can be done.

Keep at it.  Maybe one day we will see you starring in you own show!

Josephe Williams, Troth Development Group

I love the shows...... and I love it when I'm at a cocktail party and someone asks what do I do and I say I'm in Construction/Real Estate then you hear.... "oh I watch a lot of HGTV I think I would be great at house flipping"  I just say "I bet you would be" and smile.  Then I ask them what they do and they say Im a nurse, or accountant, or what ever and I just smile and say I watch a lot of hospital shows or movies about accountants and I think I could do it just like ER NYC.

People have no clue what it takes to do this job..... I know how many times I'm surprised, most would end up crying in the corner.  Like I would be in the NYC ER

When my wife had a bridal shop, she was approached to have a reality show episode filmed in her store.

It was going to be completely scripted.

A buddy of mine has friends who produce reality TV.  One show they produced was a flipping show in San Antonio.  He was told none of the properties made money but where they did make money was on product placement like when pizzas were delivered.

Reality TV is entertainment, not real life.