How to analyze this 24 unit complex

3 Replies

Dear BP,

I have been getting creative looking for properties and reached out to an owner with a 24 unit complex that is not on the market. The reason I am interested is because the owner would "consider seller financing, depending on the terms".  The property is in a very good neighborhood and five minutes away from my home, so I could self-manage.  There is a property manager who gets free rent and takes care of the yard, but I would not need the property manager.  The building was built in 1968 and is low maintenance with all new appliances and remodeled units. Owner goes there once a month to do major jobs that need repairs.  I did some rent research and the $600/mo is very reasonable for these 2 bed town homes.  Only garbage, yard, and snow plowing are included - tenants pay for everything else.  Owner states the needs $900,000 for the mortgage balance to be transferred.

Data provided by the owner:

• income - currently 13005 a month (14400 at full capacity at $600/mo each)
  • mortgage - 8096 a month including taxes and Insurance
  • electric - 60 a month
  • garbage - 140 a month
  • income 4709 a month

This would be huge step from my current four family property, but I am interested.  What is the best way to analyze/ determine if this property is a great investment?  What challenges do I need to consider?   What next questions do I need to ask the owner?  

Bonus:  a picture of the complex (there are 3 buildings with 8 units each):

it's really no different than a house or duplex,  just that it involves extra items.  definitely include cap ex.  do u know how much parking lot resurface will cost?  a ton! the roof is two times a ton of cash. 

electric is too low.  how about gas ? are they metered individually? if he does the work,  he is either super cheap or can't afford to hire it out cause he will lose money. what u should look for is a run down place that u can bring back to life

Few immediate questions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Potential purchase price ?

Vacancy?

RE Taxes ?

Insurance? 

Management? ( 10 - 12 % )  <- snow removal

Maintenance ?

Estimate immediate renovation ( upfront cost ) ?

Owner willing to carry a potential 2nd seller note ?

Upfront check with your potential lender regarding seller 2nd note <-----

Cost to replace the roof in the future ?

Current useful life left for water heaters and furances ?

tenant leases ( month to month or yearly )

Double check the tenant rent rolland leases 

I would view a profit and loss statement for the past 5 years from his CPA or a copy of his IRS statement. When I buy an income property each unit has to put in my pocket first $100 per month minimum before I would consider the deal. Then subtract your expenses from the remainder income. Is there money left and is there enough for un-for-seens as I put it. I usually figure in 5 % for that per year. Basically what would it cost you personally to own that property? 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.