Good or bad deal?

2 Replies

I am interested and about to make an offer on a foreclosure near where I live. I am pre-approved for a rehab loan, which calls for %5 down on purchase price + they will give me up to $50,000 in renovation costs. They are asking for $199,999 and I would like to offer $190,000 plus seller pays closing costs... My estimated repairs (not an official contractor bid, just my professional opinion) is going to cost about $75,000. Which brings my Down payment to about $35,000 (%5 of 190,000= $9,500 + im going $25,000 over my $50,000 Reno limit from the lender). So I will be using $35,000 of my own money and financing $230,000. When completely finished the property will be appraised at about $299,900 (according to my realtor and houses around this one). Does anyone think this seems like a good deal? basically $265,000 for a $299,000 house plus all the headaches of dealing with contractors and all of that other stuff? Also I am open to any tips or advice anyone has to offer. Thank you very much for listening!

@Cam Jimmy No!  Oh my goodness, no!

You're not even counting holding costs (interest, insurance, utilities), selling costs (paying a realtor maybe $18k) and selling closing costs.  You'd be lucky to walk away with $10k and that is much too small for the risk you are taking.  And I wouldn't trust the $299,900 as the actual sale price. 

General speaking a good deal buy price is 70% after repair value (ARV) minus repairs. So for you that would be $300k * .7 - $75k = $135k. That's generally very hard to find. You might need to go as high as 80% ARV minus repairs. Again in your case $300k * .8 - $75k = $165k. But that is very tight. I generally don't like flips higher than 75% ARV - repairs.

Wow, thank you for the heads up! The way you put it totally seems like it is not worth the risk. I very much appreciate the advice! 

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.