• Bellingham, WA
Votes |
Possible Timberland Property

Robert Freeborn
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bellingham, WA
Posted Oct 13 2017, 10:59

Hi BP!

I'm looking for advice on how to begin analyzing a land deal with a possible timber harvest. 

There are three separate, adjoining parcels for sale, totaling 303 acres in northern WA state for $2,500 an acre. The parcels have 20 year old alder re-growth timber.  There are two major sawmills about approximately 30-40 miles down the highway.

I've looked around, but I still have no clue about how to analyze this and see if this would be worth pursuing.

For those who have done deals like this, how did you find resources/contacts in the industry? Should I find a wood dealer/broker first? A Forestry Consultant?  Would it be better to the state university or a state forester?  Should I get the property under contract before I do so?  

I know I can google a forestry consultant, but I have no idea who is reputable, and what fees are reasonable for a consultation on potential property.

How would you go about analyzing and tackling this potential deal?

This has been the most useful article I've ready so far. For your consideration:

https://retipster.com/timber/

I look forward to good discussion and, hopefully, your thoughts and experience on the matter.

Loading replies...