Difficult Seller Negotiation

3 Replies

Good Morning BP Members,

I have a situation with a seller where at first I was the only party interested in purchasing his house. After receiving the offer, he has verbally agreed that he is ok with the price. When discussing signatures he is wanting to call and discuss with his "buddy" to see if he can match it or give him a better offer. How should I handle this situation. Thanks for any feedback

CJ Love

“Okay, go ahead and call your buddy....I’ll keep looking until I hear back from you”.

Let him discuss with his family and don’t stress about these things. It’s much better to almost encourage this and be honest and give the seller a feeling of trust with you. When a seller is motivated to sell he will and it’s only fair to get what he feels is the best deal. If he feels like his buyer is shady in any way you will for sure not get the deal. I️ have gotten deals done because I️ was honest, not pushy and the sellers liked me. I️ have flat out told sellers they can get more money with an agent listing there property and I️ still got the deal when I️ told them my benefits of fast and hassle free service. Let him discuss and see what he says back to you on this, your best offer is your best offer in all aspects of time/money and hassle free service. If it’s meant to be then you will get the deal.

Originally posted by @Cary Love :

Good Morning BP Members,

I have a situation with a seller where at first I was the only party interested in purchasing his house. After receiving the offer, he has verbally agreed that he is ok with the price. When discussing signatures he is wanting to call and discuss with his "buddy" to see if he can match it or give him a better offer. How should I handle this situation. Thanks for any feedback

CJ Love

That is one reason I handle these negotiations in person with purchase and sale agreement in hand rather than over the phone. Then, if that objection comes up I explain that I will be buying a property this week but I have two other's I am off to look at when I leave here. I would like the property to be this property. Do we have a deal? Then I pause until he answers. Let him think for a minute or two and don't speak. Smile, but don't speak. - That will cause the real objection to come to his mind if he really has one. More often than not, he will simply say, "let's do it". You then ask how he spells his name and start filling out the agreement.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.