I’m a Tradesman: Financially free/ but irritated 😎

I’m a Tradesman: Financially free/ but irritated 😎

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes

Bigger pockets is great!  But, all these podcasts have hidden intentions of selling books!!!  They are becoming book sellers

The average guy don’t need to know about syndications, creating corporations, raising millions

The average guy like me, who frigin made it!!! It’s hard work, it’s disciine, perseverance

I’m gonna write damn book that brings reality

Stop focusing on your books!!!

Teach the average Joe HOW to do it!!!

Peavey

15Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Ryan E.:

The thing I get frustrated about with the Podcast is all the different segments. Quick top, fire round, famous four, random seven. There’s a lot of times when I feel like the interview is just getting into the meat and they switch to the fire round. If you listen to the first episodes they really get into the guest’s story. Now it’s like, how did you get started? Where are you now? ALRIGHT! Fire round! Of course I’m exaggerating and the podcast is great...I look forward to it every week but I’d be super happy if they interviewed for two plus hours. I get excited when I see the time of a new episode is an hour and a half. There’s a lot of podcasts out there that have huge followings with 2-3 hour shows every week. 

 Not that I necessarily disagree with your point, but the flip side of it is that it's really hard to find quality guests that can give up 3-4 hours of their time for a podcast - having been a guest myself, the 1 hour podcast is not just one hour, as you have your set up and break down time on either side of it, and inevitable technical things that go wrong. If the podcast was 2 hours, the guest would have to set aside at least 3 hours for it to take place. And there would have to be a lot of extra time spent constructing the show before the interview ever got started. 

I sympathize; there's guests I could listen to for half a day - the Chris Voss interview, I could have listened to 4 hours of that guy easily - but the logistics of it would be difficult. At the same time, the sponsors, book sales and the like are what go towards paying the bills. Since the vast majority of the website is free, and the vast majority of the users non-paying, something has to go out to keep the lights on.  

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

106 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 287 posts · 270 votes
    8y

    The thing I get frustrated about with the Podcast is all the different segments. Quick top, fire round, famous four, random seven. There’s a lot of times when I feel like the interview is just getting into the meat and they switch to the fire round. If you listen to the first episodes they really get into the guest’s story. Now it’s like, how did you get started? Where are you now? ALRIGHT! Fire round! Of course I’m exaggerating and the podcast is great...I look forward to it every week but I’d be super happy if they interviewed for two plus hours. I get excited when I see the time of a new episode is an hour and a half. There’s a lot of podcasts out there that have huge followings with 2-3 hour shows every week. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    They all are booksellers now!

    They use guys like me to do all the work

    Don’t want to pay nothing

    I was Industrial Electrician 25 years

    High automation

    They are managers!  They are administrators!  Thank God I know game and bought 8 houses

    They are smart

    But you got guys with 3 years experience writing books

    I’m real dude!  Average joes need to know truth

    Work all that overtime

    Buy cheap

    And after work the real work begins

    It’s hard hard hard

    Stop making it sound easy

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ryan E.:

    The thing I get frustrated about with the Podcast is all the different segments. Quick top, fire round, famous four, random seven. There’s a lot of times when I feel like the interview is just getting into the meat and they switch to the fire round. If you listen to the first episodes they really get into the guest’s story. Now it’s like, how did you get started? Where are you now? ALRIGHT! Fire round! Of course I’m exaggerating and the podcast is great...I look forward to it every week but I’d be super happy if they interviewed for two plus hours. I get excited when I see the time of a new episode is an hour and a half. There’s a lot of podcasts out there that have huge followings with 2-3 hour shows every week. 

     Not that I necessarily disagree with your point, but the flip side of it is that it's really hard to find quality guests that can give up 3-4 hours of their time for a podcast - having been a guest myself, the 1 hour podcast is not just one hour, as you have your set up and break down time on either side of it, and inevitable technical things that go wrong. If the podcast was 2 hours, the guest would have to set aside at least 3 hours for it to take place. And there would have to be a lot of extra time spent constructing the show before the interview ever got started. 

    I sympathize; there's guests I could listen to for half a day - the Chris Voss interview, I could have listened to 4 hours of that guy easily - but the logistics of it would be difficult. At the same time, the sponsors, book sales and the like are what go towards paying the bills. Since the vast majority of the website is free, and the vast majority of the users non-paying, something has to go out to keep the lights on.  

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    I agree with everyone to some extent but they need to make money somehow. It’s either advertisements and book sales on podcasts etc or they start charging everyone a subscription fee or start posting ads throughout the forums.
  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 287 posts · 270 votes
    8y

    @JD Martin that’s a really good point about the guests’ time that I hadn’t thought about. And don’t get me wrong, I love the podcast and understand the need for the sponsors and plugging which I don’t mind at all. It’s clearly extremely successful in its current format but yes, I’m like you...many of the guests I could listen to for four hours or more! 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    of course they need to make money

    I hope they do

    My point:  guys in trade for 2 years writing books

    I know game

    I’m from Boston

    If I was young I would raise millions

    Invest and hire management team

    I get it

    My point: average joe ain’t there

    I was guy who did all the work for these dudes

    My passion is to teach average joe

    It ain’t easy

    A flip to me is doing all the work

    After I work because I can’t afford to hire

    Sweat equity bro

    That’s the way for average guy

    I should write book !!! 😎

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Podcasts in general are way too long. Not just on this site. I don't know why people think they need to create so much fluff. I can't listen to the podcasts on here. Too much fluff and I think the hosts are way too silly and it distracts from the story. I love to read the transcripts, get through the nonsense and extract the info in 5-10 minutes vs listening to a 90 minute podcast. I appreciate how much work goes into it because I have been on them for other topics on other websites but BP needs to tighten that up IMO. Quality over quantity guys. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    The solution to too many book writers is...WRITE ANOTHER BOOK! The reality is that podcasts have to have a focus on something. It’s only an hour-ish and it’s better to explore one segment (like syndicating — which I have no interest in) than another geared-for-a-newbie podcast. And if newbies did listen to those podcasts you wouldn’t see half of what you do in the forums. Not to mention that a “sweat equity bro” book/podcast would have less appeal appeal to me than syndication topics 🤣. But if you do write your book, you’ll have an audience for it. Just like everyone else :)
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    good point!  Reality man!  Something that moves me!! Not guys wives writing books on management 

    The guys in the trenches know Deal

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Peter Tverdov:

    Podcasts in general are way too long. Not just on this site. I don't know why people think they need to create so much fluff. I can't listen to the podcasts on here. Too much fluff and I think the hosts are way too silly and it distracts from the story. I love to read the transcripts, get through the nonsense and extract the info in 5-10 minutes vs listening to a 90 minute podcast. I appreciate how much work goes into it because I have been on them for other topics on other websites but BP needs to tighten that up IMO. Quality over quantity guys. 

     I don't disagree that they can be shorter. On the other hand, Claude Debussy said "Music is the space between the notes". You need time to absorb what's going on, and the "fluff" often gives you that opportunity. Listening to hardcore info non-stop is really hard work, and that's not very conducive for a drive or a workout. There have to be slots for your mind to wander as you consider the information. 

    In the end, there's probably not one format that's going to work for everyone. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Peavey:

    of course they need to make money

    I hope they do

    My point:  guys in trade for 2 years writing books

    I know game

    I’m from Boston

    If I was young I would raise millions

    Invest and hire management team

    I get it

    My point: average joe ain’t there

    I was guy who did all the work for these dudes

    My passion is to teach average joe

    It ain’t easy

    A flip to me is doing all the work

    After I work because I can’t afford to hire

    Sweat equity bro

    That’s the way for average guy

    I should write book !!! 😎

    You should write a book! My way is a lot closer to yours than theirs.... And I haven't made it yet!

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I love this new kind of capitalism!!!

    • make the podcast ad-free, sponsor free, and interviews only
    • help a bunch of people get rich without monetizing
    • ????????? 
    • declare bankruptcy

    You know this business model already came and went right? Think of it like free radio. You use free FM radio? probably not because the DJ sucks and there are too many commercials. Out of this was born satellite radio with no commercials but a monthly fee, same as cable television.

    This is what BP should do: have a free podcast for the masses, and have paid ad-free version with extras or extended interviews for the people who know what the value of education is.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    Thanks Max anyway I can help bro

    Work all the overtime

    Live frugal

    Live below means

    Drive old cars

    Buy that first house that needs ton of work

    Learn learn learn

    Paint Sheetrock Plumbing Hvac

    Live beyond your feelings

    Have emotional discipline 

    Climb the peak

    Then keep peeking into new visions

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    Hey ALEXANDER

    I’m not saying that and you know it

    Go borrow money from relatives

    Flip house and write book will you bro😂

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    I got a vote!!

    What the heck that mean?? 😂

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Peavey:

    Hey ALEXANDER

    I’m not saying that and you know it

    Go borrow money from relatives

    Flip house and write book will you bro😂

    I don't know what you're saying then. You're complaining that BP podcast doesn't give you enough value FOR FREE, or that the guests aren't people who's stories you identify with.

    I don't know what 'go borrow money from relatives' means other than using leverage from private lenders is really good advice. Agreed

    I don't think based on your current grammar you're writing any books, but it SURE IS EASY TO DUMP ON OTHER PEOPLE FOR ACTUALLY WRITING ONE AND THEN TRYING TO SELL IT.

    go write your book then go on BP and DON'T sell and be the change you want to see, or just keep complaining.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    ALEXANDER, go put your suit on

    Borrow the money

    Go hire guys like ex-me

    And write book

    I forgot more than dudes like you

    And actually I’m a master communicator

    And natural writer 😎

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Ahh- the quest for the perfect podcast.  Right away are two views-  should be 15 minutes, another 4 hours.  I can't imagine trying to Goldilocks 'just right' even the length of it to keep everybody happy.

    As far as content and subject matter, I feel there needs to be a spectrum of niches and approaches.  If you aren't in to syndicating, don't bother listening.  If you are a DIY LL in the trenches that bootstrapped their  business (me included), those are there, too, available to download for free at anytime. Every niche and business style in between is available as well.  

    Listen to the great BP podcasts with guests @JD Martin and @Joshua D. and @Linda Weygant for how everyday w-2 people built their portfolios. Another great story - again, without any plugging a book or program at all - was the one with @Jay Hinrichs.   

    I hear ya on the beard banter and whatnot sometimes, but that's their personality and how we get to know them a little bit.  You can fast fwd if you want to.  I only listen when I'm working or driving anyway, so I don't mind. 

    As another option Joe Fairless has a daily 20 minute-ish best ever RE podcast you can try.  You can cherry-pick the titles that apply to what you're interested in.   

    I wish podcasts were around when I got started.  Even if they cover something you don't think will interest you, it's hard not to learn something.  Better than listening to the same music over and over like 99% of the sheeple out there punching time clocks into their 70s.  

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    Well written Steve!!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    Ahh- the quest for the perfect podcast.  Right away are two views-  should be 15 minutes, another 4 hours.  I can't imagine trying to Goldilocks 'just right' even the length of it to keep everybody happy.

    As far as content and subject matter, I feel there needs to be a spectrum of niches and approaches.  If you aren't in to syndicating, don't bother listening.  If you are a DIY LL in the trenches that bootstrapped their  business (me included), those are there, too, available to download for free at anytime. Every niche and business style in between is available as well.  

    Listen to the great BP podcasts with guests @JD Martin and @Joshua D. and @Linda Weygant for how everyday w-2 people built their portfolios. Another great story - again, without any plugging a book or program at all - was the one with @Jay Hinrichs.   

    I hear ya on the beard banter and whatnot sometimes, but that's their personality and how we get to know them a little bit.  You can fast fwd if you want to.  I only listen when I'm working or driving anyway, so I don't mind. 

    As another option Joe Fairless has a daily 20 minute-ish best ever RE podcast you can try.  You can cherry-pick the titles that apply to what you're interested in.   

    I wish podcasts were around when I got started.  Even if they cover something you don't think will interest you, it's hard not to learn something.  Better than listening to the same music over and over like 99% of the sheeple out there punching time clocks into their 70s.  

     Thanks for the shout-out :)  And I 100% agree on the fact that it's amazing we have podcasts around right now. I love music (just look at my picture!) but I tried to convert the 1.5 hours of daily commuting, plus associated driving for the job, into something worthwhile besides just being entertained. I would speculate that I have probably listened to 1,000 hours or more of rental, money, business, self-improvement, and related material over the years, time that would have otherwise just been spent humming along to the radio, gaining nothing. Yes, some podcasts are duds, just like some books on tape (OK, that definitely dates a person!) are duds, but you don't have to keep listening. If not for podcasts & audio I would have missed out on a ton of amazing information, and the fluffy stuff just gives me a chance to daydream for a moment and see how what they're talking about can fit into my station in life. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel Peavey

    Tune into our podcast, today's Episode 266 .  I'm sure you'll learn a lot and there is no pitch.

    Gino

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Peavey:

    Stop focusing on your books!!!

    Teach the average Joe HOW to do it!!!

    Peavey

    This whole site is geared towards new investors and we all spend a lot of time helping them and one another.

    "Stop focusing on your books" and instead "teach the average Joe how to do it" is an oxymoron.

    Josh worked hard, was disciplined, and persevered just like you did.  Let the dude sell a few books.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    THANks Girlo I’ll check out

    Some of these pinheads miss point 😊

    It’s a sales game

    Money made from books

    I know that

    It’s ok

    I’m very intuitive to the workers

    The trades guys they hire for nothing

    I want them to learn to own

    Not institutional investors like trump

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    Mike, your missing point!  I hope josh sells many books!  I’m not anti book!

    The point:  the game is more about sales!! I get it!! They do great job on podcasts, I love listening to deep syndications, creation of IPO etc

    If younger, I would create mammoth company, investors, the whole bit

    Let’s be careful to the average joe!!

    Let’s not paint easy picture, under the guise of real estate, with full vetted intentions of selling books!

    The fragrance is more about selling!!

    It has moved from the prophetic, the visionary, to a bunch of administrators selling books!!

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Podcast guests get "paid" for all their time, effort and knowledge by getting a chance to plug their book for a few minutes....... got ZERO problem with that....NONE.

    If you don't like the podcast format, then don't listen to it...don't buy the book.....or better yet start your own and do it like you feel it should be done

    Lots of people on here want everything for free.....knowledge, network contacts, mentoring, leads on deals etc etc etc..... if you want to give that all away with ZERO benefit to you other than feeling good about doing it, then that's fine....more power to you....good for you. If you don't..... then that's fine too. I don't know about you but I value my time, experience and knowledge on how to do my job...and I expect to get paid for it.....

    BP offers a fantastic community for RE knowledge.....and most of it is FREE.......be grateful that for that....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.