25 units at 24 years old - What I've learned

25 units at 24 years old - What I've learned

Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes

Last week, I closed on a triplex and my portfolio hit 25 units, and I wanted to share what I've learned in the hope that it may help some investors who are starting out (both young and old). This deal:

Purchase Price: $162,500

Rehab required: $10,000

ARV: 220,000

Monthly rents: $2,800

My monthly cash flow will likely total ~$350, depending on what I ultimately get for rents. I'll probably leave about $10,000 in the building after I refinance, which is more than I'd like but still makes it a good deal (for my criteria). 

Anyways, what I've learned:

- Start networking with private money lenders immediately. Even if you plan to use conventional financing for your first deal or two, you'll never be able to effectively scale and consistently close on great deals if you don't use private financing. In today's market, you just can't consistently compete (if you are looking to do a number of deals in a short amount of time) using traditional financing. When meeting with private lenders, bring sample deals that would be an example of what you'd pitch them so you can truly evaluate what caliber of deals you will need to find to secure financing.

- Start focusing on equity, not cash flow. Of course, it is essential to analyze cash flow when evaluating a potential buy and hold investment, however, I've found that the best investors are the ones who focus on leaving minimal cash in deals (and buying with equity on the front end). Stop focusing on dollars a month in cash flow, and start worrying about how much below market you are buying the property at and what your cash on cash return will be (as a %). I own properties where I make $50/door in cash flow, some people may laugh at that, but I have no money in the deal (infinite return).

- Despite the goal of not leaving cash in deals, you'll have a hard time responsibly closing on deals if you don't have cash in the bank (closing costs, inspections during due diligence, paying contractors after you close, dealing with unforeseen problems). With that being said, if you truly don't have money in the bank, focus on increasing your income before trying to figure out how to buy real estate with truly no money down.

- Always buy with your exit in mind (even if you plan to hold long term). I recently had difficulty selling the first property I bought because it had an undersized septic tank and a dug well servicing the building (not a drilled well). As a result, it didn't qualify for FHA/VA/conventional financing and my buyer pool shrunk significantly. While I ended up finding a buyer, my selling price took a serious hit (learning experience!).

- Focus on getting in the game. Don't feel the need to hit a home run on your first deal.. a single or double is better than sitting on the sidelines. If you're young and can't get conventional financing, use commercial financing. Most of my 2-4 unit properties are financed with commercial loans because I won't qualify for a traditional 30 year, fixed-rate mortgages.. sure the terms are worse but it's better than not owning property.

Best of luck to everyone!

120Reply
573 views

Most Popular Reply

Peter TverdovBusiness Member
Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but you're equity stripping everything, leaving your cash flow dangerously thin on already tiny properties at this point in time of the real estate cycle when rates are increasing and we've seen a 10 year run? I hope you're LTVs are 60-70% on those refis and not 75-80%. What is your plan when commercial loans re-set in 5 years and the rates are 7%? Your $50 or even $350 a month cash flows will go south in a damn hurry. 

I'm going to venture a guess you have little to no real reserves (credit is not a reserve) and that you haven't factored in what happens if rental markets get soft or drop.

What could go wrong being mortgaged to death? 

See this reply in the discussion

143 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Farmington, UT · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Axel Ragnarsson way to go! I was unaware you could get commercial financing on 2-4 plexs great tip! Can you elaborate more on how you convince the credit unions to provide the financing? What is your process like?

  • Investor · Clackamas, OR · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Congratulations. 

    In Portland, OR this deal would cost about $500,000+ and yield about $3,300/month max.

    Your market is nice. 

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Congratulations on all your success! Did you buy your first properties in the area you already lived?  Have you branched out to other markets or are most of your properties in the same market?

  • Professional · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Go man Go!

  • Investor · Crested Butte, CO · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Axel Ragnarsson!  This is very inspiring and the accelerated rate in which you are growing you RE portfolio is super motivating.  

    My husband and I are currently in a position where we're looking for private financing to fund a downpayment on a commercial deal. We have a lender that we have worked with a few times lined up and ready to go quickly (at 75% LTV). If you have contacts that would look at funding the downpayment in Colorado please let me know.

    Thanks in advance and best of luck to you! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 269 posts · 597 votes
    7y

    If your numbers are right, I'd sell the property and make $40k. At $350 a month you'll be almost 10 years stacking that up through rent (rent increases and principal paydown excluded), and you'll be at risk of market forces for the duration. Even the $350 is far from guaranteed.

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Keep up the good work!  I'm currently looking for my for multi-unit deal. Wish me luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bronx, NY · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 168 votes
    7y
    @Axel Ragnarsson @Axel Ragnarsson “Always buy with your exit in mind” That’s a great plan you mentioned that many people fail to do. When I buy a property I buy with the thought of me selling it first. I research the if or how I would make a profit, even if it’s not my plan, its what i always think of prior to buying. It’s a great strategy for when you do actually sell even if it’s years from now, you sorta know what to expect in terms of overall gain. Great point!!
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Good stuff. Congrats.  Private lending is a great way to provide buying power leverage....I am biased.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    awesome work! 

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    That is awesome, congrats!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks for the post. Really appreciate it.

  • Rental Property Investor · WA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Ryan Robbins I’m a new investor so this question may sound ignorant however what exactly do you mean by refinancing if you have a cash purchase?
  • Luling, LA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Great post!

  • Investor · Prescott/Tempe, AZ · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    7y
    @Axel Ragnarsson congrats on grabbing life by the horns. :)
  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Axel Ragnarsson Great job and congratulations! - In regards to the reserves you keep of $2,500 do you find that is enough so far in your experience? Also have you found that when you do your conservative estimates of 8% vacancy, 10% maintenance 10% capex & 9% property management you actually put them into action (Save in a separate account) after you purchase your properties? 

    I am currently at 11 Units and think I may be to conservative for my own good (using also the same metrics you use $2,500 in reserves and over estimating expenses by a long shot), for example fear of those things stalling me purchasing deals that are on the fence of being a great deal, and being a deal that does appreciate and provide cashflow that may be a bit under my desired outcome.  I am a Full Time Realtor in the Bangor Maine Area.

    Any insight you can provide would be awesome thanks for your time!

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    What tools/software/technology are you using to support and scale the success of these strategies? @Axel Ragnarsson

  • Rental Property Investor · Orem, UT · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing and for the advice, particularly regarding the private money lenders.  

    I'm looking for some more insight into how the conversation/pitch to a private money lender should go, and some more understanding on how a deal like that plays out on the books (for both parties).  I.E. What numbers are they going to most concerned about?  What timelines are they usually working on and where do their returns come from if it's a buy and hold strategy and not a flip?  What cash should I have available and be expecting to spend up front?  etc.

    I don't want to walk into a situation with a potential financial partner and not know the numbers as well as I need to.  That said, I also understand the reality that some things are best learned in practice, not study.

    Maybe there is a podcast here on BP that dives into the details (actual numbers, percentages, timelines, etc.) of a private money deal?

    Any thoughts/feedback/direction is welcomed!

  • Rental Property Investor · WA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Douglass Benson What percent did you give your private lender on the money borrowed? I’m attempting to get private lending for future down payments just need to know what percent I should be giving them back
  • Bowie, MD · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hi Axel,

    thanks for sharing your experience. I am just starting out and your information is very helpful. I am still learning my market. Can you also share what worked best for you as far as marketing? I hear contradicting stories about direct mail. 

    Thanks Axel

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    7y
    @Axel Ragnarsson Very good insight! Thank you for sharing!!
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    @Erica Raby  refinancing is just the term used and can include anything from securing a lower rate to extending out terms to lower the monthly payments. A cash out refi is the term for pulling equity out of the property. It doesn't matter if the home was purchased with cash, if it the property is worth $100k and the bank will lend up to 70% of the appraised value, in theory I'd be able to pull up to $70k out (assuming there is no loans on the property already). 

  • Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Great Work! This is very inspiring. I am about to close on my first property here in the next couple weeks. It is a 5 bed.2 bath home with a mother in law unit. I am 26 with the goal of having at least 15 units by the age of 30. Any advice on that? Money is short, so what would be your advice to where to start?

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 295 posts · 117 votes
    7y

    @Axel Ragnarsson this is awesome man! I appreciate you sharing your experience!

  • Realtor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 14 votes
    7y
    @Axel Ragnarsson This Is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.