Mold found during air quality inspection. Aspergillus/Penicillium

Mold found during air quality inspection. Aspergillus/Penicillium

Rental Property Investor · Florence KY · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 5 votes

During an air quality inspection for a property I’m looking at 2 kinds of mold were found to be at “Elevated” levels: Aspergillus/Penicillium and Basidiospores. The home has had water intrusion at a sliding door that the caulking wasn’t maintained and has rotted the subfloor and started into a joist. No visible signs of mold other than this. This home needs complete flooring replacement throughout so this area will be opened up anyway. Is it likely that repairing this area, new flooring, new windows, new HVAC and paint will remedy the problem. These are all items that need to be replaced anyway. Should I be concerned?

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

Do you have any health conditions that are affected by mold? If so, then yes.  If not, then it depends on the levels.

Mold is in the outdoor air.  It is present in every single home. Its just a matter of how much.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Do you have any health conditions that are affected by mold? If so, then yes.  If not, then it depends on the levels.

    Mold is in the outdoor air.  It is present in every single home. Its just a matter of how much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Florence KY · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Russell,

    No health conditions that I’m aware of but I’m sure I will have friends and family over who may have issues with mold. This is just an issue I’ve never dealt with before and I’ve heard there are a lot of con artists when it comes to mold remediaton. 

    Here are the reported levels: Aspergillus/Penicillium Raw Count: 979. Count m/3: 2140. Basidiospores Raw Count: 15. Count m/3: 33. 

    The reported Outdoor levels: Aspergillus/Penicillium Raw Count: 8. Count m/3: 20. Basidiospores Raw Count: 26. Count m/3: 57. 

  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    I just remediated the same mold in my crawlspace. It's very common in the South. Even if you clean it up, you have to control the humidity levels or it could return. Mold grows at humidity levels 60% and higher.

  • Rental Property Investor · Florence KY · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Ken Jernigan,

    Thanks for the info. This house has been sitting for a few months without a working HVAC and it has water intrusion. I believe it to be an issue I can fairly easily remedy, it’s just not an issue I’ve dealt with before and wanted to ask the BiggerPockets community for advice. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    virtually every distressed vacant asset you buy in america has mold of some sort.

    I like the ones when the toad stools are growing out of moist carpet  :)  you will be fine.. just rip it up and replace it.

    spray the heck out of all areas with bleach .

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    This bathroom was a fun time! Gagged a few times ripping this floor up. Made me break out in hives too. Definitely get yourself a good dust mask, and replace it to take care of the problem.

  • Lender · Huntington Beach · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    These kind of things can respiratory problems.  I understand that it may be coming from outside as well. If it is in the house it is usually a white colored  mold. It can grow with other molds as well giving it other colors.  Usually with mold if you can find the source and either remove the building materials as much as possible and or treat it with chlorine mixed with water.  You seem to have found the source. As long as it is moist mold is not dangerous, once it dries and becomes air born it is a problem. Replace the materials as much as possible, treat it with  chlorine, and you probably are good to go. If you call  your insurance company, they will bring out hazmat crews and cancel your insurance.  

  • Lender · Huntington Beach · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    These kind of things can respiratory problems.  I understand that it may be coming from outside as well. If it is in the house it is usually a white colored  mold. It can grow with other molds as well giving it other colors.  Usually with mold if you can find the source and either remove the building materials as much as possible and or treat it with chlorine mixed with water.  You seem to have found the source. As long as it is moist mold is not dangerous, once it dries and becomes air born it is a problem. Replace the materials as much as possible, treat it with  chlorine, and you probably are good to go. If you call  your insurance company, they might bring out hazmat crews and cancel your insurance.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Seminole, FL · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    I know it's been over a year since this post.  But I may have a similar problem.  The source seems to be a leaky AC unit located in the bathroom ceiling.  I was going to get the leak fixed, get the ducts cleans, and paint the entire place (about 500 sqft).  Also, a condo deep clean will happen after all of this.  

    • Should I get another test after all this?
    • Do you think the steps above would handle it all?
    • Anyone know the impact of the counts below?

    Inside

    • Raw Count:  11
    • Count/m^3:  490

    Outside

    • Raw Count:  7
    • Count/m^3:  300
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.