Do you prefer an Airbnb or a hotel when traveling?

108 Replies

Since the pandemic hit in late March, many are not sure how they feel about staying at hotels or short-term rental platforms such as Airbnb, Vrbo, Booking.com, and Tripadvisor Rentals. Airbnb, with 7.7 million active listings, is a strong competitor against the 16.4 million hotel rooms worldwide. Cleanliness, safety, and price are all factors we take into account when booking our trips. 

-What amenities do you like or would like to see when staying in an airbnb? (Hair-dryer, Stocked fridge, water bottles, etc)

-Over the past year have you utilized hotels or platforms like Airbnb more?

Any feedback is appreciated

I'm using the 4 start hotel much more because the discount is hard to ignore. During these covid times, they have a 75 percent discount, and sometimes you're the only guy on the floor. It's probably the safest place during pandemic as unintended conseuqnces :)

Great question. I almost always prefer staying in an Airbnb, and the pandemic has only solidified this. I trust the cleanliness of a highly rated Airbnb more than a hotel. I'm the only guest at an Airbnb so not sharing elevators, etc. with others. I've heard good things about Vrbo but have yet to try it. Cleanliness is the number one thing I look for in an Airbnb. Good WIFI is a necessity as I need to be able to work from wherever whenever. Location is also important. I'll pay extra to be in a nicer/safer area or closer to good restaurants. 

Dhaval, that would depend on where I'm travelling and for what purpose. In the US, I prefer airbnb that's a bit away (but I prefer hotels in the heart of the action whilst in NYC, Boston, SF, etc.). In Europe, I muchly prefer hotels in the city centres. 

I have always stayed at hotels, because we are familiar with how to navigate the bookings. Also when we travel where we stop/ stay depends on many factors that we do not know days ahead of time for. 
     I know some people vouch for Airbnb, but the simplistic nature of booking at a hotel it’s hard to beat. 

I prefer to stay at a hotel.  Call me old fashioned, and I know what I'm getting when I book at a certain hotel brand.  It makes for a more uniform and predictable experience.

My family stays at Airbnbs almost exclusively.  We may stay in a hotel en route to our final destination but always try to get an Airbnb when we get there.  The primary driver is space and economics.  We are a family of three (plus a dog) and we often times have grandparents that stay with us to watch the little one.  That puts us in a scenario where we ideally need three bedrooms so the cost for an Airbnb is always lower than the hotel option.

We also get to stay in interesting places and are the only guests compared to a hotel which is crawling with people.  We love Airbnbs so the extra administrative burden is completely worth it.  I'm actually considering converting one of my long-term rentals to an Airbnb as well.

When I was single it was hotels. But now that I have a family with 3 kids and sometimes also travel with my in-laws in tow, it's airbnb/vrbo all the way. Since I can rent a huge house cheaper than 2 or 3 hotel rooms. Plus when I book a house for a week or longer, the host will sometimes give you a 5-20% discount. You don't get that kind of discount renting at a hotel.

I've been curious about this answer too, so it seems most family related has Airbnb preferences. I'm wondering why not about Extended Stays hotel, they have kitchen etc and many times discount as well. 

while the decision is dependent on location and individual preferences , the national level trend is clearly tilted towards "Homes & houses" compared to hotels.. post covid world you are looking at more and more bubble groups renting out houses to share costs... even with a higher nightly rate ..large houses with plenty of living space seem to be winning over more and more families.. a hotel may be good for crash pad scenarios however when you are considering getaways .. more and more will eventually be attracted towards houses instead of isolated hotel rooms. 

@Carlos Ptriawan Like was mentioned by @Gururaj Iyer I feel like you can get more space for the money with airbnb, along with more privacy. Also my kids can then run around the house/yard as they please or we can BBQ in the backyard for a family gathering. Verse hotel/extended stay, where a lot more is communal with strangers, and then having my kids running around in the parking lot or up and down the halls of the hotel is just a nightmare for everyone.

I prefer to stay in a hotel.  I love the amenities and like not having to wash towels.  Staying in a hotel is great, especially when traveling alone.  I feel a sense of community because I can go to the bar if alone.  The only time I enjoy Air BnB is when traveling a larger group (5+).  It's easier for us to stick together.  I like the charm and character of AirBnB's; however, I prefer to feel like I'm not at home when traveling. 

@Dhaval Taylor - I'll take a nice, private Airbnb over a hotel.   I'm currently staying in a 1 bedroom, mother-in-law cottage in Florida for a month.  

It's in a great walking neighborhood, and gives me a feel for what it'd be like to live in this area.  You can't really get that when staying in a hotel.

I don't have the time nor enjoy searching and selecting an STR. We do it for family trips such as lake or beach houses but sifting through a bunch of properties is the opposite of a good time for some people.

STRs can also be a crap shoot. The last STR we stayed at was a beautiful property on Lake Keowee...that had sewage coming up through the sinks, toilets, and showers and we had to pack up the family in the middle of the night and leave.

Well there occasionally are the ones which have problems, sorta incorrect to label them all as "crap shoot" .. the number of reviews I have personally seen on sheratons & Hyatts having smelly floorings & cigarette smells is way beyond any.. I am not sure since when did having more options to sift through was a disadvantage.. having more options to chose and decide from is always better imo... 

Originally posted by @Mike Dymski :

I don't have the time nor enjoy searching and selecting an STR. We do it for family trips such as lake or beach houses but sifting through a bunch of properties is the opposite of a good time.

STRs can also be a crap shoot. The last STR we stayed at was a beautiful property on Lake Keowee...that had sewage coming up through the sinks, toilets, and showers and we had to pack up the family in the middle of the night and leave.

Originally posted by @Gururaj Iyer :
    Well there occasionally are the ones which have problems, sorta incorrect to label them all as "crap shoot" .. the number of reviews I have personally seen on sheratons & Hyatts having smelly floorings & cigarette smells is way beyond any.. I am not sure since when did having more options to sift through was a disadvantage.. having more options to chose and decide from is always better imo... 

Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

I don't have the time nor enjoy searching and selecting an STR. We do it for family trips such as lake or beach houses but sifting through a bunch of properties is the opposite of a good time.

I did not label them all as a crap shoot.  And I don't enjoy searching but others may enjoy it.  I was just answering the OP's poll question.  Did not realize there was going to be a wrong answer. 

For one or two nights, a hotel.  For longer, or when I'm with my family and need multiple bedrooms, Airbnb.  Airbnb cleaning fees are usually too much to justify staying for one or two nights.

@Dhaval Taylor

Though I own STR's I personally prefer to stay at hotels because it tends to be cheaper for what is provided. I find Airbnb a little pricy for my liking if it's just me or my family. Hypocritical of me? Nope, I'm merely providing a service people are willing to pay for, doesn't mean I have to use it much.

@Dhaval Taylor

Depends on the location!

For instance, I’m going to Maui In March and booked at Ritz Carlton because I want to be pampered.

When I’m going to the mountain, I book a cabin Airbnb because it provides me the right atmosphere.

If I’m traveling to a city, then I also tend to book at Airbnb because I’m usually down for more adventure not so much lounging around to be pampered.

At Airbnb’s, I do expect all amenities to be available and comparable to good hotels these days.