Tenant credit check without SSN

7 Replies

Hi All,

If I want to rent out a place to a young couple one of whom is working but the other is not working and has no SSN, how can I run credit on the one without SSN ? 

On top of that, what can I do to minimize the risk of them getting divorced/separated and whatnot after moving in and the one that has income moves out and leaves the other one who has no income to pay rent ? Thanks.

If you're really worried about them splitting and disrupting your cash flow then you probably shouldn't rent to them. You could sign a month to month lease to get them out faster if that happens. I'd be more interested in finding good people with good histories than trying to worry about what could happen in the future.

Thanks @Derek Carroll . I know it's better to find good people with good histories but I feel splitting is generally independent of good histories and that happens. Should I have the one without income sign the lease as well ?

I always have all parties on the lease regardless of job or income.  While not the reason why I do this, I’m sure it at least gives some pause for thought before some folks break up and bail on a lease arrangement.  

No SS number? Why not? Those are usually issued to children. Are they an undocumented alien? Having a job is a separate issue. If they can't produce the SS card, green card or a similar document, I'd pass.

Thanks @Derek Carroll I think that can help a bit to make them aware of the consequences should that happen to them.

@John Teachout The one without job would be the spouse of a temp worker on a temp working visa, such as H1B. I would think that the one without job should at least have TIN for tax filing purposes otherwise the couple can't file taxes, but I can't be 100% positive. Technically can TIN be used to run credit check ?

Originally posted by @Ray J. :

Thanks @Derek Carroll I think that can help a bit to make them aware of the consequences should that happen to them.

@John Teachout The one without job would be the spouse of a temp worker on a temp working visa, such as H1B. I would think that the one without job should at least have TIN for tax filing purposes otherwise the couple can't file taxes, but I can't be 100% positive. Technically can TIN be used to run credit check ?

Don't know about using a TIN to run a background check. I guess you could check with whatever vendor you use for that.

Ask if they have a tax ID number or an ITIN from the IRS. If so, you can do one this way or you can use their passport information and birth date as well as place of birth to get it.

I read someone say if they are not documented or don't have an SSN pass on them, don't do that, its illegal.  Especially, if there is a person that is financially able to deal with the lease for the term.  You cannot discriminate based on national origin or immigration status and doing so will get you in serious hot water.  If both are without status, it would be easier, but I would still recommend against it, because you always have a month to month option.  Treat them as anyone else, make sure you stress that they cannot sublet the property and that only people on lease can live there and anyone else is a violation of the lease.  

I am a mixed status household, my husband has asylum documents, but hasn't had his court date and he doesn't have a SSN but he does have an ITIN number and I have an SSN.  So, no SSN does not mean not legal.