For or against fridges with water and ice makers?

For or against fridges with water and ice makers?

Tiamo WrightPro Member
Denver · Member since 2021 · 148 posts · 126 votes

I was chatting with a property management company and they said that they recommend that if a unit has water and ice maker on the door to switch that refrigerator with one that doesn't. Their point was that most of their large damage they dealt with was with regards to fridges leaking which surprised me. My property is Class A so I would assume tenants would expect such conveniences as water and ice going to the fridge. Has anyone had any issues with their fridges or thoughts on this in general?

0Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

I'll tell you about my experience with them. In one of my C-class multi-family properties one of the apartments had a fridge with an ice maker. The plastic tube that brings water to the fridge to make ice cubes became brittle, broke and water leaked all over the kitchen floor. From that point on I made certain there would be no more ice makers. 

Also, ice makers tend to break before the legit, essential fridge parts go bad (compressor, control board, etc.). If a tenant moves in and there's no ice maker it's simply another thing that won't potentially damage your property or require a costly repair. 

In closing :-) I've never heard of a potential tenant not moving into a property because the fridge doesn't have an ice maker. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I'll tell you about my experience with them. In one of my C-class multi-family properties one of the apartments had a fridge with an ice maker. The plastic tube that brings water to the fridge to make ice cubes became brittle, broke and water leaked all over the kitchen floor. From that point on I made certain there would be no more ice makers. 

    Also, ice makers tend to break before the legit, essential fridge parts go bad (compressor, control board, etc.). If a tenant moves in and there's no ice maker it's simply another thing that won't potentially damage your property or require a costly repair. 

    In closing :-) I've never heard of a potential tenant not moving into a property because the fridge doesn't have an ice maker. 

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Agree with @Karl B. - ice makers will give you problems. It's  when not if...just not worth the hassle.

    I've also had an under counter ice maker leak and ruin some hardwood floors. I know that is not what you are asking, but ice makers just present a situation where the upside is small and the downside is expensive and time consuming.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    I wouldn't have one in any of my units (but I also don't have one in my home).  Generally speaking, tenants are harder on things and why bring in something that is higher maintenance when there is a lower maintenance option (no ice maker)?  If they want cold drinks, they can buy a cooler that plugs in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Marion, IN · Member since 2019 · 134 posts · 67 votes
    2y

    In addition to what others have said about the water leaking and the components breaking before the main fridge functions, there's also the issue of the water filter replacement. Even if the lease says they are responsible for filter replacements, they may likely forget and submit a maintenance request to replace the filter. This wastes time and causes friction between the tenant and the manager.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 382 votes
    2y

    We have a mix in our units. Our high end units that we charge a premium for have ice makers and water dispenser. So far we've only had one issue with a water leak and the was in the basement. It was caused by a kid and it ruin some of their belongings. It was an easy fix and no other issues since.

    As for the filter replacements, we do that. Why? Simple, it's part of our yearly inspection of each unit. We usually do this between Aug & Oct. Than between Feb & April we replace the batteries in the keyless locks. This gives of access to the units twice a year to ensure they are being kept in good condition.

    The one thing we do not have in any of our units is a garbage disposal! Now you want to talking about headache, they will give you lots of headaches.

  • Member since 2022 · 75 posts · 73 votes
    2y

    I just saw a case of an A class home built in 2019 have horrible mold from the fridge line and the occupant got incredibly sick. I think the risks outweigh the benefits here. 

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    2y

    The less components that distribute or drain water, the better. Water can be a property killer if not monitored. There could be a leak behind the fridge from ice maker for months before a tenant will notice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    2y

    @Tiamo Wright having an ice-maker is not a make or break decision for a Class A property. Neither is having an in-sink disposal.

    We’ve had tenants get upset when we decided not to repair a broken ice-maker. Repairing an ice maker can cost nearly half the expense of a new fridge. So now when we replace fridges we solely buy without ice makers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Negative on the ice-maker, if I have a choice 

    The tenant can get some trays and fill them up 

    An ice-maker is higher risk and really zero reward 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    Avoid ice makers. Water damage is my biggest fear for our properties. It is so easy for a small leak to cause tens of thousands in damage and even make a home uninhabitable until remediation due to mold.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tiamo Wright:

    My property is Class A so I would assume tenants would expect such conveniences as water and ice going to the fridge. Has anyone had any issues with their fridges or thoughts on this in general?

    My tenants get the same conveniences in life that I get. I'm really surprised at the amount of replies that say no to this question. No wonder landlords get a bad rap. 
  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    2y

    I always buy fridges with ice makers/water dispensers, never had an issue with them. I pull the fridge out during turnovers to clean the coils and inspect the water lines anyway. No biggie.

    It's an appreciated convenience here with our hot summers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.