Keeping Track of Details For Each Property

Keeping Track of Details For Each Property

Loren SouersPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Portage, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 12 votes

Hi All,

I am looking a way to keep track of details of my property like notes, upgrades to the property, and other details about each property. I already have RentRedi for managing the property. Do others simply use Word, Excel, Trello, or another to keep the details of each property? 

TIA

2Reply
223 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 11 votes
1y

I think it depends on the size of your portfolio! Notion's definitely a good alternative but once you go past hundreds of units, I think Appfolio or Rentvine is more fitting.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    Hey @Loren Souers! Personally, I like to use Notion for this type of task, but I'm sure there will be others on here that will recommend Monday.com, ClickUp, or Asana.

    • Member since 2025 · 12 posts · 13 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:

      Hey @Loren Souers! Personally, I like to use Notion for this type of task, but I'm sure there will be others on here that will recommend Monday.com, ClickUp, or Asana.

       Hi @Jaycee Greene, do you mind sharing how you're using Notion?  I am closing on my first investment at the end of this month and I just came onto the forums to see if/how others are using Notion - any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

  • Property Manager · Eastern Region, US · Member since 2023 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    I'll second notion or another living wiki-type platform if it's just notes you're after, or if you're looking for something more task-oriented, Asana features project pages and other functions that track data and next steps. Using spreadsheets is doable but not very scalable depending on how much you're dealing with.  

  • Ty CouttsBusiness Member
    Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 467 posts · 230 votes
    1y

    Hi Loren,

    For tracking property details like upgrades, notes, and other specifics, many investors use a combination of tools. While RentRedi is great for property management, here are some other options to consider:

    • Excel/Google Sheets: A simple, customizable way to track property details, upgrades, expenses, and maintenance.
    • Trello: Good for organizing tasks and progress on specific properties. You can create boards for each property and track updates, tasks, and improvements visually.
    • Property Management Software: Some users also leverage software like Appfolio or Buildium for more comprehensive tracking, though these can come at a cost.

    It really depends on your preference for simplicity versus more structured systems. Using a combination of tools might work best depending on the level of detail you want to track.

    Hope this helps!

    Ty Coutts - Aslan Home Lending 544 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    I think it depends on the size of your portfolio! Notion's definitely a good alternative but once you go past hundreds of units, I think Appfolio or Rentvine is more fitting.

  • Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
    Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes
    1y

    Each upgrade is depreciated separately, and each has a monetary value and depreciation schedule.

    So to keep it simple, use your books 😉 

    Accounts/Sub accounts: Address (or property identifier) >> Name of update >> Depreciation account for that upgrade.

    I am not a CPA and am not providing legal advice. Just a thought.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Loren Souers:

    A simple spreadsheet would suffice. Create a tab for each property. Start with the address and details about the rental.

    Create a section for tracking the lease information. Tenant(s) name(s) and contact information, start/end of lease, rent rate, pets, kids, etc.

    Create a section for tracking rent charges and payments. You can find examples of a payment ledger online.

    Use another section for tracking maintenance. Start with maintenance notes that you may regularly reference, such as air filter size, water shut-off location, etc. Then track the date a maintenance issue was reported, description of the problem, who it was assigned to, when it's estimated to be completed, when it was completed, date/amount paid, etc.

    It doesn't have to be fancy. All you need is a product that is easy to use and reference.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    I use Buildium and I'm building out a database in Airtable.  It's a learning curve, but I think it's going to be the best solution.  It has a free plan that I think will meet my needs.  

  • Loren SouersPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Portage, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    10mo

    @Brian Binkley I have not started using it but there are several notion builds online that might work for you. 

    Here is a link to the market place. You can get some free and some paid. 

    https://www.notion.com/templates/search?query=rental+propert...

  • Rental Property Investor · Central U. S. A. · Member since 2013 · 296 posts · 149 votes
    9mo

    I maintain a simple yet effective Excel spreadsheet to track appliance and improvement details for each rental property.

    The column headers represent different categories (e.g., Address, New Roof, New HVAC, Refrigerator, Oven/Range, Dishwasher, Water Heater, etc.).

    Within each category column, I record the relevant details for that specific item in each property. For example, under the “Refrigerator” column, the following information is typically stored for each unit:

    Manufacturer

    Model Number

    Serial Number

    Color/Finish

    Purchase Date

    Warranty Status/Expiration

    This structure keeps all key data organized, easily accessible, and tied directly to the individual rental property.

  • Loren SouersPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Portage, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    8mo

    Thanks for the info @Yanik Parsch! I love hearing others ways of organizing. In a sea of hundreds or thousands of options, some clarity if refershing. 

    I took a look at Baseline. Is it similar to Quickbooks? I do like RentRedi and already use QB. We need an all in one that doesnt break the bank. 

  • Loren SouersPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Portage, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    8mo

    Good tips @John T. Excel is such a great tool. Sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming for me when deciding all the information to include in upgrades and alike. 

    Could you share your spreadsheet? 

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    8mo

    @Loren Souers

    Underwriting - DealCheck

    Project Management - ClickUp

    Bookkeeping - QuickBooks Online Plus

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.