What Door Count Made Property Management Harder?

What Door Count Made Property Management Harder?

Lender · Albermarle, NC · Member since 2025 · 237 posts · 90 votes

For landlords managing multiple properties:

At what portfolio size did operations start becoming more complicated?

• 5 units
• 10 units
• 25+ units

Curious where most investors start feeling the operational pressure.

2Reply
261 views

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6mo

There are other considerations that matter much more than the number of doors. How many units are under one roof, and how spread out is the portfolio? Is this A class real estate or C/D class real estate? That matters because true A and strong B assets typically require far less time spent on administrative tasks like rent collection, tenant insurance verification, and routine tenant oversight. Rents absorb more professional vendors who do not need require babysitting. Also far easier to lease these units while also benefitting from lower turnover, particularly where there's barriers of entry.  Condition also plays a major role. Units with newer systems and limited deferred maintenance will generate far fewer service calls and maintenance issues. This also tends to favor the better-quality real estate because that's the real estate that can absorb the cost of whole system replacements whereas the lower tier real estate is subject to continuous band-aid fixes to prolong the useful life of systems despite being economically inefficient. These are the realities of owning real rental real estate. Management burden has far less to do with unit count than other more relevant factors.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    6mo

    For me it was around 5-6 doors.

    I've got 8 now spread between Tampa and Ocala, self-managing with a full time W-2. Up through 3-4 properties it felt manageable. You'd check in, handle the occasional repair, collect rent. Around door 5 or 6 something shifted.

    Part of it is drive time. Properties in different cities means more windshield hours. But the bigger drain is mental overhead - tenant texts hit at random times during my work day, and even when I'm not physically dealing with something I'm thinking about whether that broken garbage disposal is going to turn into a real problem.

    I've got two guys I trust for most repairs now so I'm not driving out as much. But the phone never really stops.

    Looking at bringing in a PM once I hit 10-12 doors. 8-10% hurts on paper but at some point the time cost of self-managing catches up with you.

    • Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 3 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Marcus Delgado:

      For me it was around 5-6 doors.

      I've got 8 now spread between Tampa and Ocala, self-managing with a full time W-2. Up through 3-4 properties it felt manageable. You'd check in, handle the occasional repair, collect rent. Around door 5 or 6 something shifted.

      Part of it is drive time. Properties in different cities means more windshield hours. But the bigger drain is mental overhead - tenant texts hit at random times during my work day, and even when I'm not physically dealing with something I'm thinking about whether that broken garbage disposal is going to turn into a real problem.

      I've got two guys I trust for most repairs now so I'm not driving out as much. But the phone never really stops.

      Looking at bringing in a PM once I hit 10-12 doors. 8-10% hurts on paper but at some point the time cost of self-managing catches up with you.


       As long as you truly enjoy it, it's worth it. The problem is that investors often lose sight of why they started buying RE in the first place because they're getting nailed with constant maint / tenant concerns.

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    There are other considerations that matter much more than the number of doors. How many units are under one roof, and how spread out is the portfolio? Is this A class real estate or C/D class real estate? That matters because true A and strong B assets typically require far less time spent on administrative tasks like rent collection, tenant insurance verification, and routine tenant oversight. Rents absorb more professional vendors who do not need require babysitting. Also far easier to lease these units while also benefitting from lower turnover, particularly where there's barriers of entry.  Condition also plays a major role. Units with newer systems and limited deferred maintenance will generate far fewer service calls and maintenance issues. This also tends to favor the better-quality real estate because that's the real estate that can absorb the cost of whole system replacements whereas the lower tier real estate is subject to continuous band-aid fixes to prolong the useful life of systems despite being economically inefficient. These are the realities of owning real rental real estate. Management burden has far less to do with unit count than other more relevant factors.

    • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      There are other considerations that matter much more than the number of doors. How many units are under one roof, and how spread out is the portfolio? Is this A class real estate or C/D class real estate? That matters because true A and strong B assets typically require far less time spent on administrative tasks like rent collection, tenant insurance verification, and routine tenant oversight. Rents absorb more professional vendors who do not need require babysitting. Also far easier to lease these units while also benefitting from lower turnover, particularly where there's barriers of entry.  Condition also plays a major role. Units with newer systems and limited deferred maintenance will generate far fewer service calls and maintenance issues. This also tends to favor the better-quality real estate because that's the real estate that can absorb the cost of whole system replacements whereas the lower tier real estate is subject to continuous band-aid fixes to prolong the useful life of systems despite being economically inefficient. These are the realities of owning real rental real estate. Management burden has far less to do with unit count than other more relevant factors.

      @Stuart Udis nailed it. We have 18 B class rentals within 15 miles of our personal house. I spend 10 minutes a month taking care of this portfolio. I only had to go to 3 properties in person last year and that was because we are in a drought and had trees falling. Our houses were fixed up when bought and are well maintained over the years. Our longest tenant is 25 years and counting, we have many that are approaching the 10 year mark now. 

    • Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 3 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      There are other considerations that matter much more than the number of doors. How many units are under one roof, and how spread out is the portfolio? Is this A class real estate or C/D class real estate? That matters because true A and strong B assets typically require far less time spent on administrative tasks like rent collection, tenant insurance verification, and routine tenant oversight. Rents absorb more professional vendors who do not need require babysitting. Also far easier to lease these units while also benefitting from lower turnover, particularly where there's barriers of entry.  Condition also plays a major role. Units with newer systems and limited deferred maintenance will generate far fewer service calls and maintenance issues. This also tends to favor the better-quality real estate because that's the real estate that can absorb the cost of whole system replacements whereas the lower tier real estate is subject to continuous band-aid fixes to prolong the useful life of systems despite being economically inefficient. These are the realities of owning real rental real estate. Management burden has far less to do with unit count than other more relevant factors.


       Agreed. Density/proximity is one of the most important factors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Emmaus, PA · Member since 2021 · 152 posts · 85 votes
    6mo

    I would say it definitely matters more about the tenant and not so much the number of doors. I have some tenants, where if I had 5-6 of them I would be overwhelmed and at my "max", but I have other tenants where I could have 10,000 of them easily.

    Unfortunately, there isn't a fool-proof way to determine which tenants will be the more active users of your time and which ones won't. We use screeners as an attempt to ween out the potential problems, but nothing is 100% effective.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 555 posts · 320 votes
    6mo

    Great question — for most owners, it’s less about a specific door count and more about when complexity starts compounding.

    That said, there are some common breakpoints:

    • Around 5 units: Still manageable, but you start noticing time fragmentation — more tenant communication, more vendors, more small issues stacking up.
    • Around 10 units: This is where it often shifts. Without systems, it starts to feel like a part-time job. Coordination, tracking, and consistency become harder.
    • 25+ units: At this point, it’s no longer casual management — it’s an operations business. You need defined processes, reliable vendors, and often some level of help.

    The real tipping point isn’t just door count — it’s when you go from reacting to issues to needing repeatable systems. Owners who build structure early can handle more units without stress; those who don’t usually feel pressure sooner.

    Most people don’t hit a wall because of volume alone — it’s volume without systems that makes things harder.

  • Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
    6mo

    Coming at this from the commercial side so the door count framing is a bit different, but the underlying pattern is the same. I self-manage a mixed portfolio of retail and industrial in SoCal and the tipping point for me wasn't a number — it was when lease administration started requiring real accounting work. On the residential side you're mostly tracking rent in vs. expenses out. Once you have NNN tenants with CAM reconciliations due every January, base year calculations, gross-up provisions, and separate QuickBooks classes for each tenant's expense pool, a small number of units can bury you operationally. I felt real pressure at 6 commercial spaces — not because of maintenance calls but because the paperwork and tenant disputes around annual reconciliations consumed weeks. Stuart's point about asset class mattering is dead on. My retail tenants in well-maintained centers are far less demanding than my one tired office building. The complexity per unit in commercial is just different.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    6mo

    Yeah that's the real check-in question. I started because I wanted the income eventually, not because I enjoy fielding texts about garbage disposals. When I notice I'm grinding it out more than I'm building, that's usually my sign something in the structure needs to change.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Tracy Thielman:

    For landlords managing multiple properties:

    At what portfolio size did operations start becoming more complicated?

    • 5 units
    • 10 units
    • 25+ units

    Curious where most investors start feeling the operational pressure.


     It actually depends on how organized and techy you are!

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    6mo

    For me it wasn't a number, it was adding a second market. I self-manage 12 doors and work in healthcare three days a week, so I've always had to be pretty tight with my time. Up through 9 or 10 doors all in Denver it felt manageable -- properties close together, I know the neighborhoods, my husband handles most of the physical stuff. Something came up, I could deal with it same day.

    Adding two houses about two hours south changed that. Not because of the workload exactly -- those tenants are quiet and low maintenance -- but because I can't just swing by. Water heater goes out, tenant has something I need to actually look at, it's a half-day minimum. The mental part is different too. In Denver I have eyes on things just from living here. Down there I'm operating a little more blind.

    So for me it was less "door 10 vs. door 11" and more "market 1 vs. market 2." If I'd added those same two doors 15 minutes from my others I doubt I'd have felt it the same way.

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    6mo

    Great question—honestly from my experience managing 300+ units, it’s rarely the door count that creates pressure, it’s everything behind it. I’ve seen 10 units feel overwhelming with no systems, and 50+ run smooth when you’ve got solid processes, good vendors, and the right tenants in place. The biggest shift usually happens when properties are spread out or older, that’s when things start stacking up fast. Once you build a strong team and systems, it really becomes more of an operations game than a unit count game.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 29 votes
    5mo

    The truth is, it's never about the door count. It's about your systems. I've seen guys with 5 doors drowning in texts, and guys with 50 doors playing golf on Tuesdays. If you're still tracking maintenance on sticky notes and waiving late fees, you're going to hit a wall fast. Build the system before you buy the next door... or hire someone who already has the system built.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.