Raphael Kisel stole $13k from me

Raphael Kisel stole $13k from me

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes

So this guy @Raphael Kisel is a scam artist. I asked BP to remove but because of their policies (which I understand) they cannot. So I am here to tell all of you to be careful of this person. This is probably not him in the photo. This is probably not his company. He is a scam artist that took me for a ride, probably cost me my deal (still looking for funding) and stole $13k from me. I reported him to the FBI. Just wanted to put it out there. I guess is someone else had any experience with this person and would of posted I might have saved some money. So hopefully I can help someone else. Please share with anyone that you like. Those who know me know I wouldn't post something like this unless absolutely necessary. I hope this gets around before it gets taken down. 

17Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 26 votes
10y

@Omar Merced. I am a long time viewer of BP but never joined until now. I am local to San Antonio and felt compelled to reply, thus I created the account I should have long ago. Being a local here, after I left the Army, I have little patience for scammers. Now, I do not know the person you mentioned and this is not intended as liable or slander in any form. However, I have a car and gas. The address provided by the person you mentioned does not exist. The street address, 8507 Espanola Dr, Helotes TX 75023 literally does not exist. I drove by and there is an 8502 followed by and 8510. Where that address would be is an empty parcel of land. The address itself is not even valid through our local Bexar County Tax Assessor website (bcad.org). No results found. Perhaps that person typed his own office address. It is a residential area of houses. Either way, Good luck to you. Thanks for motivating me to finally join BP.

See this reply in the discussion

88 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Leland Barrow  I agree money should be found close to the asset.. those are the folks that know it the best and are usually the most aggressive in terms etc.

    We ran a decent size HML shop in the day.. and did a lot of out of state deals but we were referred to the borrower I did not even have a website and still don't to this day..

    But I will reach out occasionally to someone I see on BP that I think I could help or they interest me.

    But by far the best is referral

    the other point of contention here is the too good to be true rates.. and of course folks want the best rates they can get.. that's natural.. and the scammers live off of that.. if the scammers were offering what is traditional HML rates IE 2 and 12 or 4 and 14 no one would call them LOL.

    But when they offer PRIVATE money ( which gives the connotation that its cheaper) and then start with rates at 5 to 7 % etc etc.. they get a lot of takers then it really depends on how good of con artist they are...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Leland Barrow  and let me further state I do not do business with anyone I have never personally met.. I have done that a few times on a flyer the last 4 years and I got a little burnt toast.

    So I make it a point to go see them eye ball them and create that long term relationship so we can do tons of deals.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    To be fair to BP though they have warnings on the Market place at the top.. beware lender scams so they are proactive in warning folks.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    Omar  @Kyle J.  did your detective work for you make sure you give this info to the State of Nevada Mortgage folks.... although govmit agenices are usually pretty good at hunting people down.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced I couldn't help but notice that Raphael doesn't seem very proficient with English. Did you speak to him on the phone? Assuming his parents opened the business in 1985 and actually lived in the USA, he would have been raised here and should have better English skills than his written grammar in his post. Good English is not a requirement to be a lender, but bad English may be a warning sign that you are dealing with someone out of the country. One option to verify location and appearance is to use Skype or Facetime as a way to meet him face-to-face. You can take screen captures. so a visual identity is on record. You can have them walk outside and hold the camera up to the street signs so you know the video was taken in the USA. Scammers are often at internet cafes in Africa, so this would help prevent those types. Of course there are plenty of scammers right here in the good old USA, but at least on US soil there is a chance of catching them.

    Address verification is something I use all the time in tenant screening, I have had tenants give missing addresses before. If you cannot find it on Google maps, that is a bad sign. Even a residential address for a lending business would concern me.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    I was also messaged by this individual and was chatting with him earlier today via private message.  Loan seemed too good to be true.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Joe Splitrock  issue is no one uses the freakin phone anymore LOL

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 280 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Omar Merced:

    @Raphael Kisel   You are a horrible human being and life will eventually catch up to you.

    @Omar Merced. Hey buddy. I am sick to my stomach that this happened to you... I don't even know what else to say. 

    Try not to get discouraged. I have seen first hand how hard you work, and what you are made of. I do my best to surround myself with principled, forthright people. I am proud to call you my friend. 

    Keep your chin up. 

    DL Martin

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    10y

    Thanks for letting everyone know

  • Contractor · Magnolia, TX · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 155 votes
    10y

    Lazard Kisel got me a month or two back. Thought I'd posted all this in another thread somewhere, but maybe I only intended to do that and never followed up. At any rate, I don't have time to go into the whole story here, but I'm pasting a copy of the last email I sent him, which is a summary of all of our previous conversations, and you'll get a flavor of what I dealt with. Feel free to PM me with questions, or reply here and I'll respond when I can.

    (Transcript of email follows)

    Lazard -

    There seems to be some confusion about what the terms are on the loan you've offered to make. At the end of this message, I am pasting an edited transcript of our conversations, both email and text, over the last few days, because I think that makes it easier to follow the interactions that have brought us to where we are today.

    Your last question in the string below, however, is: "Your initial email was that you have $300k down. True or false?" So, the simple answer is, "true." Among other things, my original email did say that.

    However, I think you can plainly see in the following conversations that we chose to move away from using a partner because you said A) you could fund the entire purchase price, B) you said no down payment was required, and C) you said my partner's participation was not required. All of those statements were made by you prior to my signing your agreement and wiring you $1,270.

    If your terms have now changed, and you feel you are no longer in a position to make the loan at the terms and under the conditions you stated, please let me know via return email.

    As I have already told my partner his participation was unnecessary, getting him back on-board is going to be hard - so I think we need to just work under the assumption that his money is off the table.

    If you still want to fund the $300k and take a 2nd-position lien, I may be able to get him back on-board - but I may not be able to find a lender who will make that loan.

    Andy

    Email + Text Communication String

    May 31 email:

    Andrew Taylor (AT): My partner and I have approximately $300k to-date. We are looking for an additional $300k, which would give us 25% of the purchase price.

    Lazard Kisel (LK): We have an option of funding either $300K and take a second position or Fund purchase price to take afirst position.

    AT: …can you give me an idea of the terms for the two scenarios you listed above?

    LK: 1st funding $300K to complete 25%
    Terms 7.5% interest and 3 points charged Up to 3 years

    2nd funding $2.34 million complete purchase price
    Terms 7.5% and 2 points charged with Origination fee of 0.3% of Loan Amount Up to 10 years

    June 1 email:

    AT: …it looks like there's no down payment required? Is that correct?

    LK: Yes there is no down payment required as of now, because after appraisal and the property actually worth's that amount, we will be ready to lend 100% as we want to take a first and only lien on the property.

    June 2 email:

    AT: …is the loan approval contingent upon my partner's participation?

    LK: Your partner is not needed for this transaction yet, can only sign as witness in the closing paper works, so we don't need his participation for now.

    AT: Did my partner send you a completed application? The reason I ask, is that if he did not, and we do not need him, then I need to let him know so he can move on to another project. But if I tell him to move to another project, and then it turns out later that we need him, I may have a problem.

    LK: He didn't send any application. And at closing, we need your partners to sign closing paper works.

    AT: If we require his income and/or guarantee, then he and I will form a partnership, and both of us will sign at closing. If you can make the loan to just me, then I will explain to him that we do not need to form a partnership, and he can look for another deal elsewhere.

    LK: If you think you want to do this yourself, very well. Just go ahead and tell him that, because we have approved 100% purchase price, and we are taking a lien on the property and it can just be you. Since you say there is nothing from him since we are approving the 100% financing, then he can leave.

    June 2 text message:

    LK: I saw your email. After the appraisal, if it’s worth $2,600,000 we will add the other amount.

    AT: Okay, I’m sending your signed paperwork now.

    June 3 text message:

    LK: What did you tell your partner?

    AT: I told him that I was not going to need his participation on this particular project.

    LK: I thought both of you contributed the original $300k

    AT: Per our emails back and forth yesterday or the day before, you didn’t need a down payment or my partner’s participation, so that’s what I told him

    LK: Yes I know. But I am asking. I am the lender who needs to be clear of 100% or even more to lend my money. You should understand

    AT: Understood. Thanks

    LK: So who was contributing the $300k?

    AT: No one. Per your email: “…there is no down payment required as of now, because after appraisal and the property actually worth's that amount, we will be ready to lend 100% as we want to take a first and only lien on the property.”

    LK: Your initial email was that you have $300k down. True or false?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Andrew Taylor  thank you for posting this.. you can see the con all the way through this.. keeps trying to suck you in making the deal even more attractive..

    but as we know there is no 100% financing in the real world like this.. especially at those dollar amounts.. LOL.. Equity partners yes but mortgages no.. the second the guy goes to 100% financing its a HUGE RED Flag and total an utter non sense.

  • Wholesaler · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced

    I am truly sorry for the experience you had. Thank you very much for posting this and like you said, I urge BP members to please post any activities of this nature so others in the community can be aware.

    I received a message from from a guy called tyler on FB about funding at 6% interest only (too good to be true). I think I ll ask for some references from anyone I talk to.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Eyan Lakhani  Facebook is loaded with the same scammers 

    ANY private or HML at anything under 10% with 2 points is to be questioned.

    6% is flat out bait and switch or scam.. simple as that.

    but they prey on newer investor or investors who are not really keen to the money markets and don't know that those rates are not real.

  • Wholesaler · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Thank you for a definite clarity :)

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Raphael Kisel:

    You still didn't answer my questions. My dad Lazard Kisel registered Joinville Finance Inc, since 1985 and I took over in 2010. Here is our Tax ID: 32040687587 and we are consistent till date. Office is 8507 Espanola Dr, Helotes TX 75023. 

    I have no skin in this game but did notice something odd and went to check.  

    From the IRS website:  

    "Also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or the Federal Tax Identification Number, the EIN is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification"

    I noticed that your # has 11 digits.  Unless of course it's a typo.

    That led me to check on your address.  8507 Espanola Dr, Helotes TX 75023.  Public info...

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/8507+Espanola+Dr...

    Unless Google data is incomplete, as they sometimes are, or unless there's some error in the address you listed, google maps shows the address as being in the middle of the street. The properties listed and with photos include 8511 Espanola at the corner before it turn into Ruidosa Run and next to it is 8515.  Across the street there's 8506 and 8502. But no 8507.  

    As mom used to say: Where there's smoke, there's fire.  I hope you can work things out with Mr. Merced.  

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    I know nothing about the topic posted here one way or the other or the person discussed.

    I can tell you my experience in general over the years is that there are people out there who are (fee takers).

    They promise the moon and then as soon as the deposit is wired the excuses start coming in and then eventually they fall silent to put more energy into the next person that is fixing to wire them a deposit.

    They keep the deposit small so that the buyer feels like not too much to lose to land the sweetheart loan terms they are promising to fund. 

    Some lending outfits will go as far as to fund one loan out of every 20 or more so that they can say they are in compliance and a real lender with the SEC but their big money is churning deposits they keep where they torpedo average deals.

    So when an amazing deal does come along they might choose to actually fund it hoping the borrower defaults. These types are nothing more than vultures in the industry preying on people's trust and ignorance about the loan process.

    A deposit on deals in the millions it typically about 15,000 to 20,000 ( That generally covers appraisal,survey, phase one, site inspection, lender legal,etc.). You NEVER, EVER let an unknown source hold these funds and say they will transfer to the lender. You vet the lender directly and validate they are real with the terms offered. You could have your attorney hold and show a proof of escrow for the deposit. 

    My mortgage contacts ALL GET PAID AT CLOSING. They take nothing for themselves until they perform. Just like me on my commercial deals as a commercial real estate broker in the millions to tens of millions of dollars. I earn my fee when the transaction is successful. It's just how the business operates. If a mortgage person gets a small fee and a problem happens they have little interest in fixing things to get to closing. If there is no money until it closes the mortgage broker will heavily vet any lender they work with because if it doesn't close they get nothing for their time.     

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Joel Owens  my dad ran into these schemes in the 70s  LOL.. and told me to steer clear. when I was a young 18 yo realtor with stars in my eyes.

    did you catch the American greed episode of one company I think they are in MN  they did this for over 20 years... some lady who knew a retired FBI agent finally brought them down.. it was discovered that they made less than 10 loans in all those years..

    there is a company in PHX I interacted with a few years back.. and they were the same way larger loans.. send in your stuff.. get pre approved WAY TO EASY.. just need 5k.. and hammer on you to send it. I am sure they are the same way.

    there are HML I see even on this site that I am sure churn turn downs.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Omar Merced:

    @Max T. initially it was for application fees. Then he wanted his points wired to his escrow company.

    Omar - hate this for you. For future reference, look for companies that never take money directly from you. For example, we have you pay the appraiser directly, and any points or fees that we charge are on the HUD statement as part of closing and the title company pays us after closing. If this guy is worried about paying a lawyer to draw up his paperwork and then you backing out, he isn't a real lender as that is just a cost of doing business.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    I wanted to add that on the flip side of the coin there are commercial buyers wanting properties and loan terms that simply do not exist.

    A real mortgage broker or lender will cut to the chase because time is money and tell you what you want is a pipe dream. If they are not going to get paid until closing they want to spend zero time on a wild goose chase.

    The point takers and upfront fee guys that do hand offs will usually work on anything to see what sticks. They are getting money upfront and if anything else additional happens from a long shot loan it is icing on the cake for them not the bread and butter.

    On commercial real estate deals I heavily vet buyers. If they are trying some way out their approach or creative type financing 95% of lenders will not even entertain I wish them luck but do not get involved. The more creative the more moving parts and the more things can fall apart and you get nothing for your time. You learn that quick after being in the business for awhile.

    These days I look for specific criteria for clients and transactions. They have to be realistic and they have to be willing to listen to someone with more experience and follow the system to reach a successful outcome.

    It's fine to ask questions and learn but when you think you know better but do not have the experience that is ego talking and control issues versus legitimate concerns as a buyer. Sometimes buyers have to step out of their own way to really achieve the things they want. Don't be your own worst enemy is what I am saying.   

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    i hope this is resolved amicably

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 311 posts · 176 votes
    10y

    This is why I love BP.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    I did want to post one more comment .. on these SFR deals there is no real lawyer work to be done.

    most is handled by title and escrow and Lawyers DO NOT CHARGE UP FRONT for this type of work they get paid at closing.. So again another BS excuse to suck money out of you ..

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 49 votes
    10y
    Wow! I was on the fence about hard money lenders and this post definitely has me saying "hard pass" on hard money lenders. I will take the time and raise capital with friends and family, as well as wholesale in the mean time. There's always conventional banking. Thanks for sharing!
  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Lesson learned for everyone on this site.......

    Pay appraisals directly to appraiser .......

    And NEVER PAY ANY FEE's UPFRONT!!!! 

    Pay fees only at closing With an attorney present.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    This guy really seems to be a bad dude. I am seeing a lot of this here, FB, Linkedin, etc. One thing that the scammers seem to have in common is low rates for HML If you see a rate like 7% that should be a red flag to everyone. Nobody can take the risks of hard money loans at 7% and survive.

    Good luck

    Josh 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.