BRRR Market Selection

BRRR Market Selection

Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 11 votes

Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!

10Reply
542 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
3mo
Quote from @Luke Salinas:

Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


Until you have a TON of rehab experience do NOT try to do remote rehabs!

Try one locally first, to learn a bit about construction.

Otherwise, 80% chance you'll get taken and rue your investment.

FYI: we say that despite the fact that we offer BRRR Turnkeys, so PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2026 · 56 posts · 29 votes
    3mo

    Hey Luke, do you plan on buying out of state? For brick housing inventory I’d assume older Midwest/Northeast markets would have plenty.

    To identify a strong BRRR market you can focus a few different metrics to get a sense of inventory and affordability trends in the area before you starting running numbers on specific deals, like:

    1. Rent to Price Ratio

    2. Vacancy Rate

    3. Median Days on Market

    4. Rent growth

    5. Home Value growth

    6. Price Reduced %.

    Message me and I’m happy to recommend the best platforms to get this data.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3mo

    @Luke Salinas

    don't

    stay within a couple hours

    hope this helps

    good luck

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 463 posts · 253 votes
    3mo

    Hi Luke from Nashville, TN-

    Great question! You are a new investor looking to Buy Rehab Rent Refinance and Repeat and trying to identify markets to do this and prefer brick built housing.

    Three markets to look at are Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Kalamazoo in Michigan. While light rehab properties are more common, properties needing greater rehab work are out there. Grand Rapids probably has the strongest appreciation of the three markets (at a higher purchase price) but you can't go wrong with any of them.

    The Midwest and Michigan is still relatively affordable and people are moving here for that reason. Landlord policies still are mostly reasonable and there is diverse economic development driving job creation and demand for housing.

    Happy to help!

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo

    @Luke Salinas, from my experience, Columbus, Ohio, is one of the best-kept secrets for remote BRRRR investors, especially if you like brick housing, because a huge portion of the older stock there is brick construction from the early 1900s through the 1960s. I would strongly recommend looking at neighborhoods like Linden, Hilltop, and Franklinton where you can still find properties under $100K with solid ARVs that actually make the numbers work. Get a reliable PM and a boots-on-the-ground contractor lined up before you close your first deal, and the remote piece becomes a lot less stressful than people make it sound.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo

    I would first decide on whether you want appreciation, cashflow, or a mix of both. If you want cashflow.. look for markets with low entry prices and higher rent averages. If you want appreciation, identify markets with expanding industries and positive growth signals.

    Columbus, Ohio is a great market to consider if you're looking for appreciation markets that still cash flow. I moved here from Florida after seeing the expansive growth in the Columbus market.

    If you’re looking for cash flowing markets.. a lot of investors, including myself, are looking in cities like Cleveland.

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    3mo

    @Luke Salinas Please explain your rationale for going remote with your first purchase instead of staying around Nashville.

    As a brand new real estate investor, I am possibly inappropriately imagining someone who knows nothing about real estate investing other than what was read in a book, shared in a course or came up with friends or family. That might not be you, but I think my comments will be relevant either way.

    Fully remote investing offers you mystery. You bought a property you might never have directly seen. What is its real condition? Your contractors say you need a bunch of work done. Do you just trust them, whoever they are since you never met them? Your property manager hopefully keeps an eye on all this, but keep in mind they often get paid a % of the repair costs, so more repair = more PM profit. This is a negative view and one that can develop when the owner doesn't know better (yet). Being able to see the damage and repair then learn from it makes you a smarter investor.

    As you can tell, I am not a fan of remote investing, especially for someone brand new. I can't imagine there aren't good opportunities around Nashville. Have you looked locally? I would exhaust looking at those first, then radiate out a bit before going to random places across the country.

    Here's an alternative view. If you invest your dollars in a random place (but a good place!) and hire a property manager to manage it for you, you are invested in real estate and hoping all goes well. It may. Alternatively, consider investing in a REIT that directly owns real estate. You will get diversification you won't have with your single property. You will get professional management. You won't have maintenance and tenant headaches. It might be less exciting, but the excitement you get with owning remote real estate is often negative excitement.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


    For a remote BRRRR, I'd focus less on finding the "perfect" market and more on finding a market where you can build a reliable team. The best BRRRR deals usually come from strong local relationships, not Zillow searches. Since you're in Nashville, I'd look at Midwest markets where brick housing stock is common, acquisition costs are reasonable, and cash flow still supports the refinance. The key is finding neighborhoods with stable rental demand, enough value-add inventory, and a solid property manager and contractor network. A great team in a good market will outperform a great market with no team almost every time.
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


     The biggest thing is finding a contractor you can trust to project manage the job since you will be remote

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


     >Any tips

    It is a challenging RE market.   BRRRRs have never been easy.   When I do a large rehab, I am on site virtually every day.

    What is wrong with your market?   I would not suggest the first brrrr to be remote.   Perform a couple successful local brrrrs before considering attempting a remote brrrrr.

    By the way, I have done quite a few successful brrrrs but have not done one in a few years. Note I have done brrrr minus the refi twice in the last few years (meaning I did value add residential rentals). The issue is the current rates result in a high LTV loan having large negative cash flow. The refi also has costs. Even local Brrrrs are challenging.

    Good luck

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


    Until you have a TON of rehab experience do NOT try to do remote rehabs!

    Try one locally first, to learn a bit about construction.

    Otherwise, 80% chance you'll get taken and rue your investment.

    FYI: we say that despite the fact that we offer BRRR Turnkeys, so PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Hi Luke, welcome to BP! For a first BRRRR, I'd focus less on finding the perfect property type and more on finding a market where the numbers consistently work after the refinance. Make sure you're being conservative on both rehab costs and after-repair value because that's where a lot of newer investors get into trouble. Since you're planning to invest remotely, building a reliable team on the ground is just as important as finding the deal itself. One market I'd suggest looking into is Columbus, Ohio. I actually moved from Portland, Oregon to Columbus in 2020 to invest and have built a portfolio of 10+ rentals here. What attracted me was that the fundamentals are really strong—population growth, job growth, and major employers expanding in the area such as Intel, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Honda, LG, and others. At the same time, there are still opportunities to find properties in the $120K-$180K range that can hit the 1% rule and cash flow, which makes the BRRRR strategy much more realistic than in many higher-priced markets. There are also plenty of brick homes throughout the area if that's your preference. The combination of cash flow potential, appreciation upside, and strong economic growth is why a lot of out-of-state investors continue to target the market. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • J CastroBusiness Member
    Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 684 posts · 242 votes
    3mo

    Congratulations on getting started with BRRRR investing.

    One piece of advice I’d offer is to focus less on finding the “perfect market” and more on finding a market where the numbers support all five stages of the BRRRR strategy.

    Before buying, make sure you can confidently answer:

    • Can I acquire the property at a discount?
    • Will the rehab add enough value to create equity?
    • Is rental demand strong and stable?
    • Will the after-repair value support a refinance that returns most of my capital?
    • Does the market have enough liquidity if I need to sell instead?

    Since you’re planning to invest remotely, your team becomes just as important as the market itself. A great contractor, property manager, lender, and local boots-on-the-ground contact can make or break a long-distance BRRRR.

    As a lender, we’ve seen many investors succeed by targeting solid workforce-housing neighborhoods rather than chasing the hottest appreciation markets. Consistent rental demand and predictable refinance opportunities often outperform flashy markets over the long run.

    And don’t overlook smaller cities within a few hours of Nashville. Sometimes the best BRRRR opportunities are found in secondary markets where acquisition prices still leave room for renovation, cash flow, and equity creation.

    Wishing you success on your first deal. The key isn’t finding the perfect property—it’s finding a deal with multiple profitable exit strategies and building a team you can trust.

    JCREIG Capital Funding
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


     Happy to chat on KC. It's doable to find BRRRs here

  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 580 posts · 396 votes
    3mo

    Can anyone actually pull this offer? The remote BRRRRR without experience/boots on ground? I would love to see it done, not trying to be negative, just curious if anyone else has accomplished this.

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3mo
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!

    One source helps you buy, renovate, rent and refi:)

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Luke Salinas:

    Hey, I am a new investor and want to BRRR for my first investment property and I am having a hard time trying to find a market that will work. I vprefer brick housing inventory. I am located in Nashville, TN and also plan on doing a pretty much full remote BRRR. Any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated!


     What made you want to choose Nashville? I heard the prices there are expensive?

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2026 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    3mo

    Hey Luke! Like many of the other comments mention, I don't think a remote BRRR is the way to go for your first project. Have you looked for properties locally? There are pockets surrounding Nashville where BRRR works. I'm in Nashville also and I suggest you look in areas like Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Antioch. If you're open to going a little further out I think it would be beneficial with the BRRR strategy. You should definitely consider Clarksville and Murfreesboro in that case. Good luck!

  • Ethan HaiglerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 58 votes
    3mo

    I'm an out of state investor, but also an agent, wholesaler, and loan officer. Ohio works for my needs (50-60% of ARV + cash flow at >1% rent to price ratio), specifically Cleveland area. If interested I can share some details on how we help new investors. I would love to chat further.

    3 Little Pigs Rental Management
    Ethan Haigler Realty
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo

    I second Drew Sygit's advice.

    One thing I'd be careful about is not only doing a BRRRR as your first investment, but also trying to do it remotely. A BRRRR already has a lot of moving parts between acquisition, renovation, leasing, and refinancing. Adding distance to the equation can make things even more challenging.

    If the rehab runs over budget, a contractor disappears, unexpected repairs pop up, or the property sits vacant longer than expected, it's much harder to deal with those issues when you're several states away. As a new investor, there can be a lot of value in being able to drive to the property when needed.

    Personally, I'd lean toward doing your first deal within driving distance if possible. You'll learn a ton from being directly involved in the process, and that experience will make it much easier if you decide to expand into remote investing later on.

    Just my two cents. There's nothing wrong with investing remotely, but I'd want a few reps under my belt before taking on both a new strategy and a long-distance market at the same time.

    Always happy to connect - my DMs are always open!

  • Property Manager · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3mo

    Hi Luke, I am also based out of Nashville. I have been finding the market in Clarksville a good market for BRRRR in 2026. The numbers can work up there, and its only 45min to an hour away from Nashville. Very manageable.

  • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    2mo

    hey Luke

    For a first BRRRR, I'd focus less on buying in the "hottest" market and more on finding a market where the numbers actually work. A lot of new investors get caught chasing appreciation and end up with very little cash flow. If you're going fully remote, spend as much time vetting your property manager and contractor as you do analyzing the property. They'll make or break your investment.

    Happy to hear more about this specific issue if you want! 

  • Garrett CrosbyPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, United States · Member since 2021 · 392 posts · 162 votes
    2mo

    Luke, I'll add an LA-based perspective since I do exactly this - I'm based in Los Angeles and my buy & holds and one flip are all out of state in Fayetteville, NC, picked specifically because CA prices don't pencil for BRRRR math.

    A few things that made remote work for me: I didn't pick the market first, I picked the team first. A contractor and property manager I trusted mattered more than which metro had the best rent-to-price ratio on paper.

    Second, I underwrote every deal assuming I'd be wrong about rehab costs by at least 15-20%, since I couldn't walk the property weekly like a local investor could. That buffer saved me more than once.

    Brick housing stock, landlord-friendly laws, and steady job growth are the fundamentals to screen for before you fall in love with a city. Nashville not working doesn't mean you have to go remote right away either - worth a serious look at anything within a couple hours of you first, since your first deal is the best one to have eyes on in person.

  • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    2mo

    @Luke Salinas - very interesting as I've been having similar issues - so i built a tool / connector for Claude. It is allows me to run the market analysis, comparing different areas and then cross check with what institutional investors are doing with their REITs. it's working ok.

    Don't know if you and others on here will also find this useful. 

  • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    2mo

    @Luke Salinas - very interesting as I've been having similar issues - so i built a tool / connector for Claude. It is allows me to run the market analysis, comparing different areas and then cross check with what institutional investors are doing with their REITs. it's working ok.

    Don't know if you and others on here will also find this useful. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.