User Stats

Votes
Daniel Campos
Votes |
Financing first house hack

Daniel Campos
Posted Apr 3 2023, 17:40

Hello guys

Im new to real estate investing and I want to house hack in my local market but I encountered a problem with financing, I currently have 2 single family homes, one of them is rented and I wanted to rent the other house so I can move to a multifamily (duplex), but the lender said that the bank won't approve the loan because they don't believe that I will be moving from a single family to a multifamily, is there a way to overcome this situation or some kind of proof that I can provide? 

Thanks for the help 😄

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 3 2023, 20:16

lol tell them yeah i was lying to you 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Apr 4 2023, 08:30

@Daniel Campos what?! That sounds ridiculous. Ask them what you need to do to convince them that's your plan. If they say you "can't convince us" than go find another lender immediately. 

Maybe setting up a lease for your current house would help convince them? Or a letter that you sign? 

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Reid Chauvin
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Replied Apr 4 2023, 09:01

@Daniel Campos I don't see any problems here unless you already have an existing FHA loan and you are trying to use an FHA loan to buy the multi. Getting a signed lease on the home you currently reside in once you get under contract for the multi will definitely help your case, especially from a debt to income ratio standpoint. Work with another lender! More than happy to assist.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Apr 4 2023, 09:02

You would probably need to construct a letter of explanation and provide a  justifiable reason. The downside of getting a bank loan is that they are only one dimensional and can only offer what their guideline say so. Have you tried considering getting a loan with a mortgage broker? They ususally can work with multiple lenders and provide you a tailored fit mortgage option. @Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Campos
Votes |
Replied Apr 4 2023, 16:46
Quote from @Ryan Thomson:

@Daniel Campos what?! That sounds ridiculous. Ask them what you need to do to convince them that's your plan. If they say you "can't convince us" than go find another lender immediately. 

Maybe setting up a lease for your current house would help convince them? Or a letter that you sign? 

Thanks for the help @Ryan Thomson ,  i did explained to her what my plan was but she just ghosted me, which is weird because she helped me when I bought my two other properties. But I'm already working with another lender. 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Campos
Votes |
Replied Apr 4 2023, 16:53
Quote from @Reid Chauvin:

@Daniel Campos I don't see any problems here unless you already have an existing FHA loan and you are trying to use an FHA loan to buy the multi. Getting a signed lease on the home you currently reside in once you get under contract for the multi will definitely help your case, especially from a debt to income ratio standpoint. Work with another lender! More than happy to assist.

Thank you @Reid Chauvin , I haven't used an FHA loan yet only conventional, I reached out to another lender to see what my options are I hope I can't get the loan this time.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Campos
Votes |
Replied Apr 4 2023, 16:55
Quote from @Matthew Kwan:

You would probably need to construct a letter of explanation and provide a  justifiable reason. The downside of getting a bank loan is that they are only one dimensional and can only offer what their guideline say so. Have you tried considering getting a loan with a mortgage broker? They ususally can work with multiple lenders and provide you a tailored fit mortgage option. @Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

Thanks!! If doesn't work with this new lender I will definitely reach out to a mortgage broker. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Apr 5 2023, 08:51
Quote from @Daniel Campos:

Thanks for the help @Ryan Thomson ,  i did explained to her what my plan was but she just ghosted me, which is weird because she helped me when I bought my two other properties. But I'm already working with another lender. 

AHHH I see now. Yeah she is scared about getting in trouble for giving you multiple primary home loans. Go to another lender. 

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Campos
Votes |
Replied Apr 5 2023, 09:52

AHHH I see now. Yeah she is scared about getting in trouble for giving you multiple primary home loans. Go to another lender. 

Ohh wow I didn't know she could get in trouble for that, is it something illegal or unethical to lend multiple primary loans to a single person? 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 5 2023, 18:09

Ohh wow I didn't know she could get in trouble for that, is it something illegal or unethical to lend multiple primary loans to a single person? 

@Daniel Campos You will be asked by the any competent underwriter your intent. It only makes sense as there is occupancy fraud (Where you say you will move in for the lower down payment requirements and better rate). In fact, you will see the question on BP quite often. " will they really know? " is always the tenor of the question. So, yes, moving from SFR to MF is going to raise questions. But, there is no rule saying you cannot do it. It just has to make sense. So, expect to have to put together a letter of explanation. As mentioned above getting a lease on your current home would likely go a long way as well.

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Campos
Votes |
Replied Apr 6 2023, 19:21
Quote from @Jay Hurst:

@Daniel Campos You will be asked by the any competent underwriter your intent. It only makes sense as there is occupancy fraud (Where you say you will move in for the lower down payment requirements and better rate). In fact, you will see the question on BP quite often. " will they really know? " is always the tenor of the question. So, yes, moving from SFR to MF is going to raise questions. But, there is no rule saying you cannot do it. It just has to make sense. So, expect to have to put together a letter of explanation. As mentioned above getting a lease on your current home would likely go a long way as well.

Thank you so much, I will make the explanation letter in case they ask for it, I really appreciate the help. 

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 6 2023, 19:39

I was in a similar situation, and I provided my lender with a contract agreement with a property management company for the property I was vacating. They should also accept a lease agreement on the property.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.