Thoughts on part time residency / mid term rentals in Savannah

Thoughts on part time residency / mid term rentals in Savannah

Flipper/Rehabber · ME · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes

Hello.  
I've bought and sold multis and homes over the past two decades doing most of the work myself.
I live in Maine and I have HAD IT with these winters.  I love Maine for most of the year.

I'm taking a trip to Savannah next week for a vibe check and to see if it's a place I would want to spend several months a year.

My thought is to buy and furnish a modest but cute 2 bedroom home or condo, live there Jan - April-ish and rent it out for the remainder of the year.
Does this seem like a feasible idea for the area?
My thoughts are being close to Colleges, hospitals, or areas where mid term living is commonly needed
Being relatively close to creative arts communities and diverse dining options is important for me.

Are you a realtor who could show me a place or two?  or a property manager who would be interested in taking care of a place 8 or 9 months out of the year?  Are you an investor or homeowner who has tried a similar model?
I'm not looking for massive returns.  I'm trying to make my winters more fun.  :D


0Reply
219 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
7mo

Hi there!

First of all-I love this plan. Escaping Maine winters while keeping the best part of the year there sounds like a win. Savannah is a great choice for a “vibe check,” especially if you’re drawn to walkability, arts, food, and historic charm.

Your idea is definitely feasible here, especially if you’re targeting:

Areas near SCAD, hospitals, or the Historic District
Locations that appeal to traveling professionals or mid-term renters
Neighborhoods with strong dining + creative energy

The key will be confirming local rental regulations (especially if you’re considering shorter stays) and choosing a property type that allows flexible leasing. Some condos have restrictions, while single-family homes can offer more freedom depending on zoning.

The Jan–April owner-use window is very realistic, and the remaining 8–9 months can absolutely be positioned for mid-term rentals (30+ days) or longer-term tenants to keep things smoother and lower maintenance.

I’d be happy to:

Show you a few options while you’re in town
Talk through neighborhoods that match your lifestyle goals
Help you evaluate realistic rental income vs. expenses

Or discuss management options if you move forward

You’re not chasing massive returns — you’re optimizing lifestyle — and that’s honestly one of the smartest reasons to buy.

Let me know when you’ll be in Savannah next week and I’d love to connect.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Waterville Maine · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    7mo
    We live in Maine, we tried skipping out for a month or so during January and February for a few years. If you can get a month away it makes all the difference in the world. We looked into airbnbs in Palm beach gardens but it made more sense to buy a cash flowing quad up here and rent it out the rest of the year. Let me know how you make out!
    • Flipper/Rehabber · ME · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Brett A Brockway:
       it made more sense to buy a cash flowing quad up here
      Was that a while ago?  I'm in southern Maine, and I have not really seen a multi that cash flows since before the pandemic.  I just 1031'ed my multi into a DST.  better returns and NO work.
      Now maybe I can go down south for the winter without loosing sleep over freezing pipes, ice dams, mice, shoveling, doogy doo and tenants leaving their windows open in January.
    • Rental Property Investor · Waterville Maine · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 11 votes
      7mo

      @Dan Adams you can find cashflow in central Maine, Waterville, Augusta Skowhegan but yes this was a while back

    • Rental Property Investor · Waterville Maine · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 11 votes
      7mo

      @Dan Adams also, we manage properties if your ever interested in looking!

  • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    7mo

    If a house or duplex can work for your price point might be a better investment compared to a condo as I see clients having issues with HOA dues eating into profits. Depending on the HOA or market area they can go up relatively rapidly compared to inflation. The types of areas you are targeting makes sense for mid term rentals.

  • Member since 2025 · 26 posts · 22 votes
    7mo

    Looking to do the same Dan. Im in CT. Been looking in Pooler, GA and Rincon, GA. Growing area and better bang for your buck then neighboring Savannah. Trying to do as you describe. Heading down in April to get a better picture. Let me know what you find as well.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · ME · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Kevin Jo:

      Looking to do the same Dan. Im in CT. Been looking in Pooler, GA and Rincon, GA. Growing area and better bang for your buck then neighboring Savannah. Trying to do as you describe. Heading down in April to get a better picture. Let me know what you find as well.

      Have you seen that there is a demand for mid term rentals in those communities?
      Walkability is leading my searches. I expect that proximity to campus, hospitals, (or something else maybe???) is the most important for students and/or traveling nurses, many of who may not even have cars.
      Chime in with other potential users of mid term housing in Georgia.  Military???  I saw that base on the map.
      I also would like to not rely on a car so much.  

      I'm just far enough out of town in Maine that I have to use a car to do anything.  I hate that.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · ME · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Kevin Jo:

      Looking to do the same Dan. Im in CT. Been looking in Pooler, GA and Rincon, GA. Growing area and better bang for your buck then neighboring Savannah. Trying to do as you describe. Heading down in April to get a better picture. Let me know what you find as well.

      Update. 
      I was thoroughly charmed by Savannah, close to downtown.  So much so that I'm feeling committed to buying a home / multi before next winter. 
      Once I got suburban, I lost all interest...  but different strokes for different folks. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    7mo

    Hi there!

    First of all-I love this plan. Escaping Maine winters while keeping the best part of the year there sounds like a win. Savannah is a great choice for a “vibe check,” especially if you’re drawn to walkability, arts, food, and historic charm.

    Your idea is definitely feasible here, especially if you’re targeting:

    Areas near SCAD, hospitals, or the Historic District
    Locations that appeal to traveling professionals or mid-term renters
    Neighborhoods with strong dining + creative energy

    The key will be confirming local rental regulations (especially if you’re considering shorter stays) and choosing a property type that allows flexible leasing. Some condos have restrictions, while single-family homes can offer more freedom depending on zoning.

    The Jan–April owner-use window is very realistic, and the remaining 8–9 months can absolutely be positioned for mid-term rentals (30+ days) or longer-term tenants to keep things smoother and lower maintenance.

    I’d be happy to:

    Show you a few options while you’re in town
    Talk through neighborhoods that match your lifestyle goals
    Help you evaluate realistic rental income vs. expenses

    Or discuss management options if you move forward

    You’re not chasing massive returns — you’re optimizing lifestyle — and that’s honestly one of the smartest reasons to buy.

    Let me know when you’ll be in Savannah next week and I’d love to connect.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · ME · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
      7mo

      @Andrew Street sounds good.  I arrived today.  I'll messenge you.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6mo

    @Dan Adams  If you target using it yourself Jan/Feb then the students aren't your main market. At most you are available fall semester.  Health care travelers, interns, temporary employees are more likely. 

    • Flipper/Rehabber · ME · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Colleen F.:

      @Dan Adams  If you target using it yourself Jan/Feb then the students aren't your main market. At most you are available fall semester.  Health care travelers, interns, temporary employees are more likely. 

       Thanks.
      I just researched the SCAD "quarters".  I'm flexible to accomadate the schedule if that is what works best.  Fall quarter ends Nov. 19,  Spring quarter begins Mar 22nd.
      That will do :D

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.