Are Bird Dogs Worth It?

5 Replies

Hi,

How many of you wholesalers out there use bird dogs? What kind of success rate do you have?

Is it worth the time and energy to even cultivate a team of bird dogs?

~Jeff

I am not a wholesaler but I'd happily pay a effective bird dog person to bring me deals.  People who know me casually bring me properties to buy all the time - but in general none of them make sense financially.

I would call them house hunters. But they are. Usually they get the knowledge and eventually go out and do deals them selves or go back to work. I'd let them come to you. You don't want to waste your time going out and trying to get them to find you houses if they don't want to. 

I was thinking about using an email auto-responded to train bird dogs in the basics of driving for dollars, how to look-up public records, and so forth. Then, advertising on craigslist.

Have any of you done that with any amount of success?

Originally posted by @Jeff G. :

I was thinking about using an email auto-responded to train bird dogs in the basics of driving for dollars, how to look-up public records, and so forth. Then, advertising on craigslist.

Have any of you done that with any amount of success?

We're about to start using Screen-O-Matic to start video recording all of the basic tasks that we do. Crazy easy to then use the videos to train bird dogs, VA's, you name it.

And I agree that you should ONLY work with those who are serious and are either ready to take action or already taking it.

Medium step buys houses logo 13Ibrahim Hughes, STEP Buys Houses LLC | http://www.StepBuysHouses.org

My 2 cents-

Only pay a commission for properties you successfully close on (several hundred dollars is a good amount).

Suitable candidates include:

Soccer Moms- always chauffeuring kids around the neighborhood, strong social network with other Moms.

Drug Dealers- they know where all the vacant properties are (I don't need to explain why) and cover a lot of distance in their various errands.

Students- Usually on low incomes and are keen to take on part time jobs.

Treat all these people special. Make them feel like a valuable member of your team.