Best Way to get Comps?

9 Replies

Hello Bp,

What are the best ways to draw comps? I know something like the MLS is a good source but I dont have access to that. I have been using zillow and realtor to try and pull comps but they don't have enough information on the house I'm looking at or for the surrounding area? What are some ways or websites you guys pull comps from? (I'm in Greensburg, Pa btw)

Talk to an agent, that's the only way to get real comps, make sure they are looking at very similar sales within as short a time frame as you can.
Try to find other investors in your area and find out what agents they use. Not all agents are created equal and many don't know how to accurately value a property for an investor. 

If you have redfin available in your area then you can use it as well. It has mls data. You can also pay for service that will get you comps. 

Hey Sean! My husband and I have been investing in Greensburg since 2009 - if you're looking to expand your knowledge regarding wholesaling, investing, comps, the local RE market, etc., a great place to start would be the local REI group. There are tons of members from various trades and backgrounds who could help you navigate! They meet at Giannilli's II monthly - http://www.swpainvestorsgroup.com/

@Sean Dean , you can get comps from several sources. Comps being sold properties with characteristics that match your subject property. Like some have suggested, Redfin, Zilliow, MLS, Haines, CoreLogic can all give you comps. They will all display comps differently as well as how you're able to manipulate the data. Good luck with your search.

Originally posted by @Sean Dean :

Hello Bp,

What are the best ways to draw comps? I know something like the MLS is a good source but I dont have access to that. I have been using zillow and realtor to try and pull comps but they don't have enough information on the house I'm looking at or for the surrounding area? What are some ways or websites you guys pull comps from? (I'm in Greensburg, Pa btw)

I'm having the same question Sean. From what I understand, the best way to get comps without the MLS is to use a combo of Zillow/Realtor/Redfin/etc in conjunction with county websites that give access to public sale info. These tools together should give pretty good comps. Of course the best is having a realtor that can give you good comp data.

MLS has circular distance tool and sort scheme. NAR requires all 42 fields to be entered in the data based. Suggest you contact your realtor. Most realtors have the tools but often are not that sophisticated in a relatively large DB.