Direct Mail Marketing

7 Replies

I have a question: I just started wholesaling 2 months ago and I have been using an aggressive direct mail campaign. I have read that you pick up most of your deals on repeat mailing. So how often should I repeat to a mailing list? Once a month? Once a week? Same letter/different letter? Then when do I stop? After 5 attempts, 10? Or do I just keep mailing for all eternity? 

Originally posted by @Marilyn H. :

I have a question: I just started wholesaling 2 months ago and I have been using an aggressive direct mail campaign. I have read that you pick up most of your deals on repeat mailing. So how often should I repeat to a mailing list? Once a month? Once a week? Same letter/different letter? Then when do I stop? After 5 attempts, 10? Or do I just keep mailing for all eternity? 

Good to meet you

Send every 30 days. Use your list for 6 mailings then rerun it. Once prospects start calling have other ways of follow up for them... Email, Text and calling. 

I Call on days 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 30, and 90 

I send a text on days 4, 6, 8, 11, 16, 31, 61, 89

I send an email every other day for 59 days

Happy house hunting

@Marilyn H. Most recommend between 5 and 7 touches. Depending on the type of lead, once a month for 6 months is a good way to go. I recommend mixing it up. Postcard, letter, offer etc. To go the extra mile, i would include cold calling them too...mayne as a last resort before you move on. I hope this helps. Consistency is definitely the key here. Happy investing!

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I need to revisit my first few lists. I'm starting to see how this marketing can get huge fast. I've done 2 deals so far. My goal is to close 2 a week.

I'm hoping a methodical marketing campaign will go a long way toward getting me there.

Hey @Marilyn H. I know people who never stop mailing a list until they ask to be taken off the list or the deal closes. I know one person who got a response after mailing one guy for 4 years! 

That being said I do think that 5-7 times is a good go, and hit them once every 4 weeks so that a 6 mailer campaign equates to a 6 month campaign. That is enough time in between that they remember you, but you arent spamming them. Let me know if you need any additional information on specific content I can help you out there as well. 

Cheers :)

I would love some advice on content. What I've seen so far is all over the place in terms of length, content, language, tone, etc. My gut tells me to go shorter with not too much detail and to stay away from trite phrases, e.g. "Fair Price with Fast Closing!" But I don't know, maybe that works.

I've been hand writing addresses and my signature. 

@Marilyn H.

It depends on your market and how competitive it is. For competitive markets 3-4 weeks is good, for less competitive tier 2-3 markets, you can get away with less mailing frequency 4-6 weeks. 

Do not use the same letter. You should be mixing types and different messages but keep your same logo/brand so they build awareness.

At a minimum you want 7+ mailings but we've picked up deals after 2+ years of mailings in competitive markets. 

The more competitive your market, the more long term mailings you need to pick up deals.

If you only pick one, bet on frequency.

We've sent millions of postcards throughout the country. Our data shows us that, somewhat counterintuitively, frequency is more important than reach. So, it'd be more beneficial to send three mailings to a smaller list of 10,000 homes than once to 30,000 households. 

Why is that? Well, for starters, not everybody is going to see or even receive your first mailing. Maybe it got buried under all the other direct mailings your prospects get every day. Maybe whoever handles their mail throws it away before they can even get a look. Some of these people may turn out to be very interested in your product - but if you didn't connect with them on that one mailing, you've lost them.

And even if they do see your postcard, and are interested, they soon get caught up in their busy lives and forget to follow up, sign up, purchase, or do whatever you asked them to do. And so, they need reminders.

This doesn't apply to businesses with high frequencies, like restaurants, but that's not relevant here. Regardless of how you balance your reach and frequency, make sure you remember one thing: track everything with call tracking and landing pages so that you can see the ROI from each geography and creative variant.