Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes

Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

94Reply
1,583 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

What was your job?

Im always so confused by these, at what point did your job prevent you from doing a deal? Was it not possible to do both?

I guess depending on what the job was then maybe that plays into it some...but curious of the thought process on this..

See this reply in the discussion

556 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann Congratulations & good luck! It appears that you’re in a great place financially and mentally to get after it. Go crush it!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pete Barrow:

    ==> My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that.

    Once you've said that, you can say anything else you like, even, "So I'm going to learn to play the mandolin for a living, although I don't own one yet." 

    Wholesaling is a great business once you get it built up a bit. I don't know, maybe Baltimore is a good place to do it. A beautiful old city with plenty of beautiful-but-distressed properties. I lived there for a year, back about 40 years ago, and I truly loved it. 

    Actually I just read down a little further and it seems you are leaving Baltimore soon.  Well, all that stuff I said about it is still true. It's hard to say if you'll have time to close a deal before leaving. For most people, getting that first deal or two takes a while. But you can spend your time learning and reading about RE and getting your feet wet in the business. 

    And here's some advice. Meet all the RE people you can before you leave, and learn and build relationships. Then after you move, you may meet people elsewhere who will want to invest in Baltimore, or you may find people in Baltimore who want to invest in your new area. You never know what may come of meeting new people. 

    Wishing you success. 

    Haha, hadn't thought of the first bit of your post like that before, but you are quite right!

    Thank for your words of encouragement and practical advice!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jorge De Jesus:
    @Melanie Hartmann great to hear! Congrats on the proverbial leap! My only advice as someone who’s done the same thing and ended up homeless, don’t chase deals/cash. Besides that I wish you best of luck. I hope you left your job in good terms so once you have systems in place and it’s almost automatic you can jump back in the workforce, such a transactional business needs you to feed it cash and structure

    Thank you Jorge for sharing your story! 

    Might I ask how do you mean "don't chase deals/cash?" Are you recommending that "deals/cash" not be my "why?" Or did you mean it another way? (So that I can steer away from being homeless).

    I hope you have found another avenue that has brought you financial success/security and that you were not homeless for too long. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    True story. Thank you for sharing :)

    I'm building an online presence currently and plan to target all of Maryland (or the in demand areas) that way. 

    Baltimore is Baltimore. What can be said? There are plenty of good clean areas surrounding Baltimore that are solid places for SFH renos and where buyers are looking and sellers are selling.

    As far as direct mail/physical marketing is concerned, Baltimore City by itself is not the highest on my go-to list at the moment. 

    The areas surrounding Baltimore City are likely where I'll be focusing my initial physical marketing.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    But... How do 5 wholesalers come together for one deal? Was it 2 separate teams, one of 2 and one of 3? Just trying to wrap my head around the logistics, haha.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    True story. Thank you for sharing :)

    I'm building an online presence currently and plan to target all of Maryland (or the in demand areas) that way. 

    Baltimore is Baltimore. What can be said? There are plenty of good clean areas surrounding Baltimore that are solid places for SFH renos and where buyers are looking and sellers are selling.

    As far as direct mail/physical marketing is concerned, Baltimore City by itself is not the highest on my go-to list at the moment. 

    The areas surrounding Baltimore City are likely where I'll be focusing my initial physical marketing.

    I have gone to masterminds over the years and many of the top wholesalers in the country are members these are the 100 to 300 unit a year boys and girls.. fully vertically integrated companies spending 50k a month on marketing  10 employees  driving lambos or Ferraris LOL … but the reason I bring that up is I met one that works rural Maryland and rural Virginia and I liked what he had going on.. but he does close on virtually everything and he buys at court house then wholesales them off..  could be a wise move to move out of the inner city as it were.. the thing with the inner city is you just have so many potential homes that are really only sold through wholesale outlets as the real estate community is either one scared to go there or two the price points are too low to fool with..  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    True story. Thank you for sharing :)

    I'm building an online presence currently and plan to target all of Maryland (or the in demand areas) that way. 

    Baltimore is Baltimore. What can be said? There are plenty of good clean areas surrounding Baltimore that are solid places for SFH renos and where buyers are looking and sellers are selling.

    As far as direct mail/physical marketing is concerned, Baltimore City by itself is not the highest on my go-to list at the moment. 

    The areas surrounding Baltimore City are likely where I'll be focusing my initial physical marketing.

    I have gone to masterminds over the years and many of the top wholesalers in the country are members these are the 100 to 300 unit a year boys and girls.. fully vertically integrated companies spending 50k a month on marketing  10 employees  driving lambos or Ferraris LOL … but the reason I bring that up is I met one that works rural Maryland and rural Virginia and I liked what he had going on.. but he does close on virtually everything and he buys at court house then wholesales them off..  could be a wise move to move out of the inner city as it were.. the thing with the inner city is you just have so many potential homes that are really only sold through wholesale outlets as the real estate community is either one scared to go there or two the price points are too low to fool with..  

    That makes complete sense. I'm in the learning-as-I-go stage currently (obviously!). I've heard of courthouse deals and other ways of getting off-market deals that can be great sources. 

    There really are so many ways to attack these beasts, it's pretty mind-blowing for a newbie!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    That's great. How many distressed properties have you prospected? You seem to have good writing skills so I'll bet you will put together some very nice verbiage for your mass mailings. 

    If anything, I truly admire the fact that you were willing to expose yourself and post your bold plans here on BP. I believe that one of the biggest impediments to success is the fear of failure or being criticized or worrying about what others will think. And based on the way you tried to answer as much as you could in this thread and the way you acknowledged that you were still working out some of the details of your plan, I don't think fear will impede you. And this is important when working in an area like this where networking is so crucial. You're a lot braver than I am and I would fail miserably as a wholesaler. But you have a history of success and nothing was handed to you. I'll be following you and wish you nothing but success. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    But... How do 5 wholesalers come together for one deal? Was it 2 separate teams, one of 2 and one of 3? Just trying to wrap my head around the logistics, haha.

    separate line item for each wholesaler send me a PM with your email I will redact the hud and send you a copy for your viewing pleasure.. you can see what a real life hud looks like and how the wholesaler make money because we provide the capital to make these engines run. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Catonsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 49 votes
    8y

    I have been (doing this) for almost 18 years.  Like Jay mentioned before there are too many deals that are being co-wholesaled/daisy chained in this market.  For that reason I am not buying as many deals in the city and am back to looking to other sources to get my leads.  The great thing you have is the years worth of savings which I was going to suggest as we are seeing a cooling down in the market as we speak.  Good luck to you.

    Post edited by moderator

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    But... How do 5 wholesalers come together for one deal? Was it 2 separate teams, one of 2 and one of 3? Just trying to wrap my head around the logistics, haha.

    Seller A contracts with B. B assigns to C. C assigns to D. Everybody but A had somebody involved on each side of the transaction.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tom Gimer:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    But... How do 5 wholesalers come together for one deal? Was it 2 separate teams, one of 2 and one of 3? Just trying to wrap my head around the logistics, haha.

    Seller A contracts with B. B assigns to C. C assigns to D. Everybody but A had somebody involved on each side of the transaction.

    Thank you. I guess I'm just wondering exactly how/why that many parties would need to be involved. I haven't come across any "case-studies" or "real life scenarios" that follow that process. In other words, why so many "middle men?"

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Tom Gimer:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originallhy posted by @Fred G.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     I am in the USA alone. No family, no nothing.

    I quit my job too but unlike you, I had no Boyfriend that provided some money. (no girlfriend even, not even a dog, heck or a goldfish).

    You know what that did???

    It made me step UP! It was do or die.

    OK check this out... I made up a saying some time ago.. ad it goes something like this.

    A cornered mouse will grow teeth!

    HOW awesome i that saying!! Well... maybe not so awesome as a mouse already has teeth.. wait wait wait..

    How about this...

    A cornered mouse will grow fangs!

    YEAHHH much better.

    What this means ... is that when you have nowhere to go and are in trouble and it is do or die.. believe me, your mindset changes and you will become superwoman!

    And to the dude that said.. "how does a job prevent you from doing this".. 

    ARE

    YOU

    KIDDING!!!

    the REASON I outperform.. well everyone in my market when it comes to SEO is because I devote 100% of my time on it. A deal falls my way I am in my car on the way within an hour! (at least I used to back i the day)..

    Dude.. doing this full time gives you WAAAAYYY better chances to become successful!

    Remember that saying.. you don't have to outrun the lion.. just outrun your friend?

    You need to be better than your competitor. IN EVERY WAY..

    work harder, work longer, work smarter work  more efficiently...

    Good for you. Just don't get comfy with his incoming paycheck, and kill it!

    “If you want to take the island, burn the boats”

    Alexander the Great, who created an empire that stretched from his home in Macedonia to India, ostentatiously burned his ships when arriving in Persia in 334BC. As his few thousand troops were facing a few hundred thousand of the enemy, one of his commanders asked, “How will we get home?” to which Alexander replied laconically, “We’ll use their ships.”

    In Asia there was Chinese general, Xiang Yu, who ordered his troops across the river and quietly burned the bridge behind them, a tactic that got the boys so motivated that they beat the mighty Qin at the Battle of Julu in 207BC.

    Julius Ceasar, the Ancient Roman who wrote long letters home so that everyone would know about his incredibly wonderful victories...

    So, decide what you want to do. Start doing it. And burn everything else that you see as a potential crutch. Make no mistake. That's not a crutch that will enable you to hobble to success. It will only make you want to hobble, when all the time you could have run...sprinted to success!

     You my man are brilliant

    I know right!

    p.s. I've gotten my UPS mailbox, a google voice number, filed my LLC, and created da websites. Now I have to personalize all of this and move on to the SEO portion of things and all the rest of it BUT it's all up and running getting that "time" on Google. :)

    *Oh, and I can hear it now... in so many words... "Oh you poor, silly girl. You should not have wasted all that money and time doing any of those things. Just go back to your W-2 job and save up money on the side. You are going to fail at this! You silly, silly child." - There, I've saved you guys some time! It's already been said. ;)

    (I use this same tactic on my 9-yr-old and he finds it amusing, ijs)

    I was just looking at a Baltimore deal I funded today.. 5 count them 5 wholesalers on the hud.. for a total wholesaler fee of 13k... lots of wholesale activity in Baltimore.. me thinks the way to do this is to get to know them then co wholesale.. my buyer is a big known buyer so all of them try to get to him.. most get put off.... so not sure if its one dude or what but its mainly private names.. no LLC's seller was a church... they probably got it donated and it went through the community …

    But... How do 5 wholesalers come together for one deal? Was it 2 separate teams, one of 2 and one of 3? Just trying to wrap my head around the logistics, haha.

    Seller A contracts with B. B assigns to C. C assigns to D. Everybody but A had somebody involved on each side of the transaction.

    Thank you. I guess I'm just wondering exactly how/why that many parties would need to be involved. I haven't come across any "case-studies" or "real life scenarios" that follow that process. In other words, why so many "middle men?"

    B was strictly a wholesaler. C was a potential rehabber who found a better opportunity than this property or was too busy or short on cash to close. D was willing to pay more than all of them. 

    FYI for the record I agree with those who have said you don't just decide to start wholesaling and have success. How many relationships were required to create a successful transaction in the equation I prepared above?

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Katy, TX · Member since 2017 · 372 posts · 140 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jorge De Jesus:
    @Melanie Hartmann great to hear! Congrats on the proverbial leap! My only advice as someone who’s done the same thing and ended up homeless, don’t chase deals/cash. Besides that I wish you best of luck. I hope you left your job in good terms so once you have systems in place and it’s almost automatic you can jump back in the workforce, such a transactional business needs you to feed it cash and structure

    Thank you Jorge for sharing your story! 

    Might I ask how do you mean "don't chase deals/cash?" Are you recommending that "deals/cash" not be my "why?" Or did you mean it another way? (So that I can steer away from being homeless).

    I hope you have found another avenue that has brought you financial success/security and that you were not homeless for too long. 

     Focus on the process and what it teaches you along the way, the cash seldom is the “why “ but it could be in some people’s case. I just believe we all want to be better businesspeople

    Update: no longer homeless, wholesale successfully, I coach wholesaling and other strategies, I am a personal trainer, meal prep company, restaurant consultant 

  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Good for you!!!

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Thank you to everyone, both the naysayers and encouragers! I know most people in my life have advised me against doing this. Their points are valid but so are mine. There's more to my leaving then the following reasons listed here but one of the main reasons is that my family will be moving out of state soonish - so quitting was inevitable anyway. I worked a school schedule and didn't want to start a school year knowing I would be leaving before the school year was up. My career/profession doesn't allow for easy transition out mid-year and I knew I wouldn't be able to perform my job well under these circumstances. Fortunately, my profession is in high demand in most places across the country so finding a job after we relocate, if necessary, will be relatively quick and easy. I was the breadwinner for the past few years while my fiance worked part-time, went to school, and watched our kids (when he could) while I worked. He's now working a TON of hours and clears enough to cover our expenses. So now I'm home watching the kids and getting into real estate more heavily until we move. This wasn't on a whim and there are other factors at play. At this time it's the best decision for my life and my family. Keep on keeping on! Will keep you posted and hopefully write my first blog post for BP about it, whether it works out or not. Cheers ya'll!

     Good luck. Glad you thought about it before deciding to quit

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Congrats.  Scary and exciting moment for sure.  If you are driven and focused, you will make it.  Great idea having an income bringing in cash.  One of the fastest routes to going back to the 9-5 is by quitting your job , having no personal cash flow and then starting investing from there.  I burned the candle at both ends until real estate investing took over financially and it was clear.  

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    Congrats @Melanie Hartmann. Best of luck to you. 

  • Owings Mills, MD · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann Sounds like you are prepared...best of luck!!!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y

    @Victor G. and @Sisto Averno. Thank you! Thank you! And everyone else! 

    I try to "@," quote, or vote on each comment. If I have not mentioned you or quoted you directly... I'm mostly responding via my phone and it will not allow me to "@" people on there for some reason but it will allow me to quote folks. I've been using Chrome. Is there a website that will allow me to "@" people via mobile? - I should put that question in a different forum, haha. Also, I cannot respond to PM's on my cell either. I can write brand new PMs but I cannot respond to any... which is odd. When I try to respond it deletes the word I typed as soon as I tap the "space bar."

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann Go for it! Never mind the negative comments you’ll receive and hear from the naysayers. I did the same and got my first deal in the first 3 weeks....now, I didn’t close on that deal and it fell through, but I kept pushing and you should too! Stay hungry...it’s going to be tough and you’ll feel like quiting but don’t give up, you can do it!
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    @Victor G. and @Sisto Averno. Thank you! Thank you! And everyone else! 

    I try to "@," quote, or vote on each comment. If I have not mentioned you or quoted you directly... I'm mostly responding via my phone and it will not allow me to "@" people on there for some reason but it will allow me to quote folks. I've been using Chrome. Is there a website that will allow me to "@" people via mobile? - I should put that question in a different forum, haha. Also, I cannot respond to PM's on my cell either. I can write brand new PMs but I cannot respond to any... which is odd. When I try to respond it deletes the word I typed as soon as I tap the "space bar."

     I have the same exact issues...it's annoying

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 175 votes
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann Best of luck pal. Congratulations on making a move to travel a journey that most won't. The fact that some are doubting your decision says to me that you've made the right one. Nothing good in this world was gained by doing / not doing what others say.
  • Montgomery, AL Investor · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

     Wish you all the best!!! I wouldn't have quit... I would have slacked till FIRED 😁

    Ohhh late today 2hour lunches staring at the walls.. ..the normal YOU'RE FIRED stuff

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.