Wholesaling property with a stubborn tenant

6 Replies

Hello all, I am new to wholesaling real estate and I just received my first call from a motivated seller and the seller is not a resident of the state I am working in (South Carolina). There is a person currently living in the property and the owner has tried to evict the tenant but is unsuccessful, he has called the police and even went through the courts to get him to leave but the tenant still has yet to leave. He has told me the Sheriff said that the owner will need 4 people to move the tenants belongings. He is very eager to sell but he can't really do much with that tenant refusing to leave. Like I said this is my first time wholesaling and I have no clue what to do about it. Please help thank you!

Originally posted by @John Underwood :

This is an opportunity to just buy or get under contract as is at a better price.

Thank you John! So what about the tenant? Will I still be able to get under contract even with them currently living there? With the tenant living there I wont be able to inspect the house, though the owner already told me what needed to be repaired.

If you can't inspect that is more risk. Risk has to be met with a price reduction to offset risk.

You'll have to but as is with no inspection and a price to match.

Or the owner will need to evict and arrange to pay people to move all the stuff out.

you could talk to the renter and offer cash for keys. Money in exchange for leaving. You could get owner to front this money.

Originally posted by @John Underwood :

If you can't inspect that is more risk. Risk has to be met with a price reduction to offset risk.

You'll have to but as is with no inspection and a price to match.

Or the owner will need to evict and arrange to pay people to move all the stuff out.

you could talk to the renter and offer cash for keys. Money in exchange for leaving. You could get owner to front this money.

Thank you so much! I'll look into that option with owner and hopefully I'll have a buyer with these circumstances

I don’t know the eviction laws in SC but if the owner went through court proceedings and has a judgement against the tenant, then they can have them physically removed by the Sherriff’s department. You may want to get your attorney or the sellers attorney involved to finalize this tenant issue but you should make sure that if Yuit get it under contract, make sure the contract is subject to possession at close of escrow meaning the seller is responsible for removing the tenant prior to you closing to grant you sole possession.

You should also make sure you have a final physical inspection as buying sight unseen with an uncooperative tenant could result in major costs you are not aware of which could ruin the deal.

Thank you Will. The owner has said the Sheriff told him to get four people to move the tenant out which didn't make sense to me, especially after the owner went through the Sheriff department and the courts. I will have to look into the subject to to get a better understanding. But if I can't get the tenant to leave should I just not go through with the process until he leaves?