Hi friends - I have a property in a single-member LLC and want to add umbrella on top. Now my understanding tells me I should get commercial umbrella. But since the underlying landlord insurance has myself as well as the LLC as named insured, most agents seem confused.
I should be able to get commercial umbrella for this, right? I have had agents tell me straight up that personal umbrella is fine, but I dont believe it actually would cover damages arising from the LLC-owned property. What is your experience and advice?
(and yes, I know that LLC alone is a hot topic, and some will say umbrella is over-kill -- in that case, please just ignore this post. All others, please help!)
Thank you!
Hey Thomas, Saw your post and thought I would chime in! As an agent, the most common setup I see is the personal landlord policy + personal umbrella. If your underlying Landlord policy form is on a personal form (DP-3) you should go with a personal umbrella. As an investor, I have a single-family home in an LLC (on a DP-3 form) and we also have a personal umbrella over it. There is usually an additional supplemental application for the personal umbrella if it is in the LLC's name, but nothing major. Hope this helps!
If the LLC is doing what people say it does, limit your liability, you don't need n umbrella. All they can take is the property, so you get enough insurance to replace the property.
If on the other hand you've come to realize the LLC is useless because you are 10x more likely to do something personally to get sued than your property is. Not to mention you will obviously be personally sued along with your LLC. Then the easy solution would be to dissolve the LLC and get a personal umbrella. Which I HIGHLY recommend. Again. You are 10x more likely to kill someone with your car, or be sued over a dog, pool, accident on your primwry home than your rental is. And if that happens neither the LLC or the LLc having an umbrella will help.
Upside, your taxes become easier, your insurance may become cheaper, any refinancing will become MUCH easier AND cheaper. Weigh all that against an upside I just don’t see in keeping it.
Good luck either way. 90%+ of us will never be sued, and 90% of those sued will be for less than a standard insurance policy covers. But it’s basically a “success tax”.
Thanks for sharing your perspective—it's appreciated. My primary concern is safeguarding my personal assets. Given that, I'm trying to understand the implications of different insurance structures.
If a personal lines policy (like FL-3 or DP-3) lists an LLC as the Named Insured, does this configuration reliably protect personal assets in the event of a liability claim against the LLC?
Are there personal umbrella policies that effectively extend coverage over LLC-owned rental properties, or is a commercial umbrella policy necessary for such scenarios?
That's a very common point of discussion among landlords, and it touches on different aspects of asset protection. It's important to understand that while both a commercial umbrella liability policy and forming an LLC are strategies for protecting your personal assets, they serve different primary functions and are often best used together rather than as substitutes for each other.
Here are my thoughts and recommendations on this:
1. What a Commercial Umbrella Policy Does:
2. What an LLC (Limited Liability Company) Does:
3. Why One Doesn't Necessarily Replace the Other:
4. The Strongest Protection Comes from Using Both:
Many experienced landlords and legal/financial advisors recommend using both strategies for a robust asset protection plan:
Example of Both Working Together:
Someone is severely injured on a property owned by your LLC. They sue the LLC.
If you only had the umbrella and not the LLC, a claim exceeding your underlying limits could still potentially put your personal assets at risk if the umbrella limit was also exhausted or if the claim wasn't fully covered. If you only had the LLC and not the umbrella, a large claim exceeding the underlying policy limit could deplete the LLC's assets and potentially still lead to attempts to access personal assets.
My Recommendation:
While a commercial umbrella liability policy is absolutely essential for increasing your financial protection against large liability claims, it is not a complete substitute for the legal separation and asset protection provided by holding your rental properties in an LLC.
For the most comprehensive asset protection, especially since your rentals are your sole income and primary assets, I strongly recommend that you:
Using both strategies provides a much stronger defense against potential lawsuits and helps ensure that a catastrophic event related to your rental business doesn't jeopardize your personal financial security. The cost of setting up and maintaining an LLC, combined with the premium for a commercial umbrella policy, is often a worthwhile investment in protecting your significant assets.
While a commercial umbrella liability policy is absolutely essential for increasing your financial protection against large liability claims, it is not a complete substitute for the legal separation and asset protection provided by holding your rental properties in an LLC.
Seems like you definitely would recommend commercial umbrella? Because my landlord insurance is on a personal line policy and lists the LLC (and me) as insured; hence agents have either struggled or straight-out told me I should get personal umbrella. Which I dont think makes sense?
I've been digging into this more. And I'm surprised how much advice varies—even among agents. Hoping to get input from others here. Key: Property is owned by single member LLC.
Two common setups I’ve seen:
1. Personal landlord policy (LLC + individual named) + personal umbrella
2. Commercial property + GL + commercial umbrella, all in LLC's name
For those holding rentals in an LLC:
Which structure do you use?
Have you seen personal umbrellas actually cover LLC liability?
Any claim experiences or guidance from underwriters?
My main goal is protecting personal assets, especially as I grow the portfolio. Would love any insights.
Hey Thomas, Saw your post and thought I would chime in! As an agent, the most common setup I see is the personal landlord policy + personal umbrella. If your underlying Landlord policy form is on a personal form (DP-3) you should go with a personal umbrella. As an investor, I have a single-family home in an LLC (on a DP-3 form) and we also have a personal umbrella over it. There is usually an additional supplemental application for the personal umbrella if it is in the LLC's name, but nothing major. Hope this helps!
Thanks for chiming in - at last a brave one :)
Really appreciate your input. I've been digging into this pretty deeply across multiple brokers, and it's clear that there's no single "definitive" answer—especially when it comes to LLC ownership and umbrella coverage.
The personal DP-3 + personal umbrella setup is definitely the most common, and I know some carriers will endorse it for LLC-owned properties. But I've also seen that many personal umbrellas exclude LLC liability by default, and there’s real uncertainty about how claims play out if the LLC gets sued directly.
That’s why I’m currently leaning toward a commercial policy structure—commercial GL + umbrella sitting over the LLC—to remove the ambiguity. It costs more, but seems to offer more clarity and less exposure, especially as I grow the portfolio.
VERY open to learning from people who’ve seen actual claims under either structure. Thanks again for weighing in!
I don't have an LLC, so I don't know whether your current "personal" policy actually covers liabilities related that property, but I assume you made sure that is, in fact, the case.
What I do know is that you CAN get a commercial umbrella policy for properties that on personal insurance policies because that is what I have. When I started building my rental portfolio, StateFarm issued landlord policies (in my name, no LLC) and included them at no extra charge in my personal umbrella policy. However, they only allowed that for the first 5 properties (or maybe the first 3, I forget). After that, they wanted me to move all my rentals over to a commercial policy, which they issued just fine. So, my entire rental portfolio is now covered by my personal landlord policies with a commercial umbrella. So, at least StateFarm seems to know how to write these.
@Thomas Memoir You're absolutely right to question the advice you're getting—a personal umbrella policy will not reliably cover claims arising from an LLC-owned rental property, even if you're the sole member. Insurance follows the named insured, and if the LLC owns the property, then commercial umbrella coverage is the appropriate choice.
While some personal umbrella policies may extend limited protection to a few rental properties held personally, they generally exclude coverage for properties held in a business entity, like an LLC, even a single-member one. Since your landlord policy correctly names both you and the LLC as insureds, your best move is to align the umbrella coverage accordingly.
You should seek a commercial umbrella policy that:
This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.
Thank you. Yeah that's why now I'm leaning the other extreme, toward a commercial policy structure—commercial GL + umbrella sitting over the LLC—to remove the ambiguity. Not cheap, but feels the better way?