Dwelling/Fire insurance providers in Illinois that offer higher liability cap?

Dwelling/Fire insurance providers in Illinois that offer higher liability cap?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 9 votes

I'm looking for some Dwelling/Fire insurance providers in Illinois with higher reconstruction caps/ dwelling liability.

My current provider is requiring a bundled homeowner policy to qualify for the dwelling/fire renewal, but I'm a renter out of state, and just want a standalone policy as this is not for an owner occupied building. 

So I'm shopping around and discovering that many providers have a dwelling cap of $700k. This is for a 2-story frame multifamily w detached garage in Chicago. The agents are assuring me that the estimate total rebuild would be 630k in 2025, but i do not believe them w inflation, material cost, etc.

Any dwelling fire insurers I should be looking at for standalone policy in Illinois?

1Reply
147 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 46 posts · 38 votes
9mo

Yes, can't really recommend a single carrier as it varies, but there are many who go above $700K. I think you need to work with a broker, it sounds like you are dealing with captive agents working within their product guidelines. Have you had the chance to review the RCE or ERC completed by the agents? While we readily have access to exterior fixtures and features (assessors, google, listing, or driving by), the interior sometimes has poor listing photos or none at all. It is possible they may not be capturing the quality of the interior fixtures and features. At the end of the day, these numbers we come up with are estimates meant to be the minimum recommended coverage to replace the dwelling. You can typically increase the dwelling coverage beyond the estimated replacement cost. 

It has also been pointed out by @Tony Wilcox that you should be asking about extended replacement cost or additional replacement cost when comparing quotes. It is usually a cheap endorsement that can drastically increase dwelling coverage for unexpected price spikes. I see your tag is for Chicago so I'd also recommend checking your ordinance or law coverage. A lot of our older structures here are grandfathered into modern building codes and, in the event of a significant loss, you'd likely benefit from the extra bucket of coverage meant for bring structures in accordance with modern codes. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    9mo

    Robin, there are numerous carriers that would be able to do this. I would consider checking with an independent to price out the best option. You can also add an increased cost endorsement of 25-50% of the dwelling amount as a buffer! I can help as well if interested. I'll shoot you a message.

  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 678 posts · 259 votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Robin W.:

    I'm looking for some Dwelling/Fire insurance providers in Illinois with higher reconstruction caps/ dwelling liability.

    My current provider is requiring a bundled homeowner policy to qualify for the dwelling/fire renewal, but I'm a renter out of state, and just want a standalone policy as this is not for an owner occupied building. 

    So I'm shopping around and discovering that many providers have a dwelling cap of $700k. This is for a 2-story frame multifamily w detached garage in Chicago. The agents are assuring me that the estimate total rebuild would be 630k in 2025, but i do not believe them w inflation, material cost, etc.

    Any dwelling fire insurers I should be looking at for standalone policy in Illinois?


     Sent a DM. This shouldn't be difficult but every situation is unique.

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Following - also commenting for visibility. I don't personally have someone that I can recommend but I do know that they're out there!

  • Insurance Agent · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 46 posts · 38 votes
    9mo

    Yes, can't really recommend a single carrier as it varies, but there are many who go above $700K. I think you need to work with a broker, it sounds like you are dealing with captive agents working within their product guidelines. Have you had the chance to review the RCE or ERC completed by the agents? While we readily have access to exterior fixtures and features (assessors, google, listing, or driving by), the interior sometimes has poor listing photos or none at all. It is possible they may not be capturing the quality of the interior fixtures and features. At the end of the day, these numbers we come up with are estimates meant to be the minimum recommended coverage to replace the dwelling. You can typically increase the dwelling coverage beyond the estimated replacement cost. 

    It has also been pointed out by @Tony Wilcox that you should be asking about extended replacement cost or additional replacement cost when comparing quotes. It is usually a cheap endorsement that can drastically increase dwelling coverage for unexpected price spikes. I see your tag is for Chicago so I'd also recommend checking your ordinance or law coverage. A lot of our older structures here are grandfathered into modern building codes and, in the event of a significant loss, you'd likely benefit from the extra bucket of coverage meant for bring structures in accordance with modern codes. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo

    Hi there @Robin W. - I am not sure I fully understand your situation.  You are currently renting outside of the state of Illinois, but own the property as an investment here in Chicago?

    @Andrew Bish - What is RCE and ERC for all of us non-insurance people?

    • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 9 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

      Hi there @Robin W. - I am not sure I fully understand your situation.  You are currently renting outside of the state of Illinois, but own the property as an investment here in Chicago?

      @Andrew Bish - What is RCE and ERC for all of us non-insurance people?


      That's right Jonathan, I have a rental property investment in Chicago where I'm originally from, but my work takes me out of state in a HCOL area where I rent. This makes it difficult to meet any second bundled homeowner policy requirements for some carriers' fire/dwelling policies. 

  • Insurance Agent · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 46 posts · 38 votes
    9mo

    Yes, @Jonathan Klemm. It is the replacement cost estimate or estimated replacement cost, I'm sure there are other variations of the phrase too. 

    Most of us are not construction experts so we'll input details on the structure's fixtures and features to an insurance carrier's replacement cost estimator and it will produce an estimated cost to rebuild the structure, often including estimated labor and debris removal costs. It is pretty much just a calculator to select different building materials and features of the structure. 

    A lot of the inputs are pre-filled by scraping from public data like the local assessor but they may have copied over incorrectly or no longer accurately represent the structure. The labor and material costs are also based off of historic data typically trailing by a few months. The estimate is certainly not the final say but serves as a good starting point.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo

    I've seen some of those estimators @Andrew Bish - the one I am most familiar with is Exactmate.

    Are these RCE and ERCs something you have access to, so if a client like @Robin W. needed help figuring out the replacement cost by an insurance estimator, she could touch base with you?

    I'd personally love to look into more of the Chicago data.

    • Insurance Agent · Chicago · Member since 2025 · 46 posts · 38 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

      I've seen some of those estimators @Andrew Bish - the one I am most familiar with is Exactmate.

      Are these RCE and ERCs something you have access to, so if a client like @Robin W. needed help figuring out the replacement cost by an insurance estimator, she could touch base with you?

      I'd personally love to look into more of the Chicago data.

      I am not very familiar with stand alone tools or Xactimate, however, it appears to be more on the claims side, not 100% sure if it is the same thing, but it does look like there is some overlap. I believe most of the systems I use tie back in someway to Verisk or Cotality or some other large data/actuarial aggregator. Unfortunately, I am merely a broker so I don't get to access or work with their full data set. The access I do get is in the context of putting together a quote for a customer. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo

    Okay that makes sense @Robin W.   What is HCOL?  

    So, some insurance policies require that you live in the same state where you have the investment?  @Andrew Bish why would this be the case?

    • Insurance Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 122 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

      So, some insurance policies require that you live in the same state where you have the investment?  @Andrew Bish why would this be the case?

      Some regional carriers view investment properties as an ancillary product to the primary residence homeowners insurance so they require you to have your primary with them before they'll write the rental.
      More and more carriers are viewing investments homes as a stand alone product and don't have that requirement which gives you much greater flexibility to get more favorable coverage and rates. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.