Votes
Rivy S.
  • Silver Spring MD
Votes |
Insurance claim right before sale?

Rivy S.
  • Silver Spring MD
Posted Oct 25 2017, 13:48

I've got a property that I submitted two vandalization claims for.  At the time of the second claim, I received notification that if I file a third non-weather related claim within the next two years, I will lose my coverage.  

The house was just vandalized again, and all the newly installed electrical system was ripped out (along with the security doors I had installed after the last time).  I decided to sell the property (yes, the buyer knows the background) and have it under contract to close this Friday.  But I really want to get the insurance money for this last vandalization, cuz it was a few thousand dollars of work that was destroyed.  

So my question is, can I file the insurance claim when I'm selling the property? I want to file as late as possible, because I will lose my coverage, and want to be covered in case they break in again and burn it down or something. (which would not at all surprise me, and I'm not even sure I would mind, as long as I have coverage).  So what's the best way to go about this?

Loading replies...