Michigan rental insurance help!!!

17 Replies

Hey all, 

I have a SFR in Michigan that we are rehabbing currently, this will be rented out when finished. When I got my quote through State Farm they said they would insure it but only if we had, at least, a lease signed. They would not insure it if it was vacant longer than a month or without a signed lease starting soon. Is this something you have seen before?? Especially to the Michigan peeps out there.

Thanks!

Chad 

@Chad Lamb - You need to get an independent agent for this one. They will have access to companies that will insure homes that are under renovation. Let me know what area you are in and I can recommend a few. 

Thanks @Tim Puffer, this property is in Bronson, Branch County. Any recommendations would be so appreciated. 

Thanks! 

@Tim Puffer I'm in Port Huron, MI and would also love any recommendations on insurance brokers if you have it. @Chad Lamb We currently use Allstate for our rentals and we haven't had any problems with getting coverage during rehab. But Allstate is a little bit more pricey than some of the other policies I've heard about so we're now looking to shop around for better quotes.

Hey Chad,

I have a connection for an independent Ins agent. Inbox me if you’d like to chat more about your options. They work w 20 different insurance companies.

Mike

I have my Michigan rentals ( MF and SF) insured with Hastings 

I haven’t found anyone better. 

My agent is Hylant group inc 

24 frank lioyd Wright dr j4100

Ann Arbor, MI 48105

734.    741.  0044

Jeff

Foremost Insurance is a great option for vacant property insurance.

Great information! I’ll call
This week to get some quotes. Thanks everyone!

Independent agent is the way to go.  Let me know if anyone has questions!

@Dante Pirouz , You may want to call Tom Kern.  I think his number is in the Phala advertisers, but if you need it let me know.  He is down to earth and works with multiple companies (At least Foremost and Great Lakes, and probably others). 

I had the same issue. My Michigan State Farm agent told me all I needed to do was tell them a family member was staying there short term and they could write me a policy based on that. Then once I get a tenant, send the new lease over to them. They said if it’s a family member they don’t need any documentation proving it, just my verbal affirmation. 

Originally posted by @Jason Schwerin :

I had the same issue. My Michigan State Farm agent told me all I needed to do was tell them a family member was staying there short term and they could write me a policy based on that. Then once I get a tenant, send the new lease over to them. They said if it’s a family member they don’t need any documentation proving it, just my verbal affirmation. 

Wow! I'll have to try that out!  Thanks Jason!!!

@Chad Lamb @Jason Schwerin I work in the insurance industry and I would highly recommend firing the agent that gave you that advice. You never want to lie or fib when it comes to insurance. If you do need to file a claim and they determine you gave false information not only will your claim be denied you could also face insurance fraud charges.

Didn't read all the responses but Foremost Insurance offers vacant property insurance.

I'm shopping around as well, have 5 properties plus my car insurance to shop around, I'm using Phil Klein Insurance but not sure if I'm getting the best rates, any other very well recommended agents? Thank you in advance!

@Roy Gutierrez

I would highly recommend @Mike Spica . He had a variety of options, depending on what your needs are. He’s in this thread, if you send him a PM he’d be happy to help. Good luck! 

Chad

Thanks @Chad Lamb! I’d be happy to help. We have one of the largest independent insurance agencies in the metro detroit area. Many options. Please feel free to inbox me w any questions. Let me know how I can help! 

Thanks! 

Mike 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.