My name is Taylor. A business partner and I are currently exploring investment opportunities in Cleveland, OH. I am in the process of selling one of my rental properties and refinancing another to free up capital for the purchase of a multifamily property. Similarly, my partner is working on refinancing one of his properties to secure additional funds.
Our goal is to invest in a multifamily complex or larger property. The purpose of this post is to introduce ourselves and begin building a local team to serve as our “boots on the ground.”
We would greatly appreciate any feedback on the advantages and challenges of investing in the Cleveland market, as well as any advice or insights you can share. We look forward to connecting with like-minded professionals in the area.
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
1y
Hi Taylor,
Cleveland has continued to attract both local and out of state investors due to its relatively low acquisition costs, strong rental demand in key neighborhoods, and potential for value add opportunities, especially in multifamily. Areas like Old Brooklyn, West Park, and parts of the East Side (such as South Euclid or Cleveland Heights) have seen steady interest due to stable tenant bases and decent rent to price ratios.
A few things to keep in mind, property management and local maintenance are crucial, especially in older buildings. Having reliable contractors or a management team that understands how to work within Cleveland’s housing codes is a must.
Insurance and property taxes can vary significantly depending on neighborhood and building age. Make sure to factor that into your cash flow analysis, especially with older multifamily units.
Financing can get tricky for larger properties depending on the neighborhood classification, some lenders are conservative in certain zip codes. Working with a lender familiar with Cleveland’s submarkets can help.
Happy to see investors taking a strategic approach and building a local team early. Many blessings to you as you grow your real estate portfolio!
Welcome, Taylor! It’s great to hear you’re targeting Cleveland — there’s definitely opportunity here, especially for multifamily. Investors I know appreciate the affordability, solid tenant demand, and the chance to force appreciation with value-add plays. Like any market, neighborhood selection and having a reliable local team can make or break deals. Excited to see how your journey unfolds — feel free to keep us posted on your progress!
Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey Taylor,
Cleveland is a great market to invest in!
I'd be happy to send you a graded map of the area and a share list of useful contacts.
When doing BRRRs or flips in this market making sure that your contractor is solid will be crucial to your success. A lot of investors get burned by bad contractors.
I work with a great team in Cleveland if you are interested. Right now, they have a 12-unit listed for sale at $620K. They have SFR's and multi family. I would be happy to make the connection for you.
Curious. on that specific 12 unit what is the rent per unit? At 620k its seems like a fairly reasonable deal with good cash flow? Excuse the lack of acronyms!
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 641 votes
1y
Hi @Taylor Keller, nice to meet you! Cleveland has some solid advantages..affordable entry points, strong rental demand in certain neighborhoods, and decent cash flow potential. That said, like any market, it comes with challenges too, some areas can be hit or miss, so having a reliable local team is key. Building relationships with a great property manager, contractor, and agent who really know the area will make a big difference. If you haven’t already, dig into local zoning and landlord-tenant laws too—Ohio’s generally landlord-friendly, but Cleveland has specific regs to be aware of.
Best of luck to you and your partner! Excited to see how things unfold for you!
I work with a great team in Cleveland if you are interested. Right now, they have a 12-unit listed for sale at $620K. They have SFR's and multi family. I would be happy to make the connection for you.
Curious. on that specific 12 unit what is the rent per unit? At 620k its seems like a fairly reasonable deal with good cash flow? Excuse the lack of acronyms!
Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 67 posts · 83 votes
1y
Hi Taylor- Congrats on having a few properties already! I am an investor focused agent and I've put a lot of time putting together my website where I compile all of the best properties - I also have a team that is on top of the market and is also constantly scouring all possible sources for the best off-market deals as well. Only the best-of-the-best properties are posted with a detailed evaluation
Having my team in place allows us to stay on top of things while also allowing me to go build relationships to get you access to better properties + actually get your offers accepted! I'd love a shot to work together
*Just FYI -if you do check out the site- you would have to register to view the properties (Ohio Regulations)
Hi Taylor- Congrats on having a few properties already! I am an investor focused agent and I've put a lot of time putting together my website where I compile all of the best properties - I also have a team that is on top of the market and is also constantly scouring all possible sources for the best off-market deals as well. Only the best-of-the-best properties are posted with a detailed evaluation
Having my team in place allows us to stay on top of things while also allowing me to go build relationships to get you access to better properties + actually get your offers accepted! I'd love a shot to work together
*Just FYI -if you do check out the site- you would have to register to view the properties (Ohio Regulations)
Good Morning, Andrew!
Thank you for reaching out—and I really appreciate the insight about the Ohio regulations. That’s definitely helpful to know as we start navigating the market more seriously.
It sounds like you’ve put a ton of work into building a system that brings real value to investors. I can tell you really understand what it takes to not just find deals, but actually get them closed. That’s huge.
Quick question for you—how do you balance sourcing off-market deals with making sure the numbers and long-term potential of the properties still hold up in today’s market? I’d love to hear your perspective.
Also, my partner and I are currently in the process of building a team. Our goal is not only to build wealth for ourselves, but to help everyone on our team grow as well. We’re compiling a list of questions to make sure we’re all aligned before moving forward.
Would you be open to answering a few of those when the time comes?
Hi Taylor- Congrats on having a few properties already! I am an investor focused agent and I've put a lot of time putting together my website where I compile all of the best properties - I also have a team that is on top of the market and is also constantly scouring all possible sources for the best off-market deals as well. Only the best-of-the-best properties are posted with a detailed evaluation
Having my team in place allows us to stay on top of things while also allowing me to go build relationships to get you access to better properties + actually get your offers accepted! I'd love a shot to work together
*Just FYI -if you do check out the site- you would have to register to view the properties (Ohio Regulations)
Good Morning, Andrew!
Thank you for reaching out—and I really appreciate the insight about the Ohio regulations. That’s definitely helpful to know as we start navigating the market more seriously.
It sounds like you’ve put a ton of work into building a system that brings real value to investors. I can tell you really understand what it takes to not just find deals, but actually get them closed. That’s huge.
Quick question for you—how do you balance sourcing off-market deals with making sure the numbers and long-term potential of the properties still hold up in today’s market? I’d love to hear your perspective.
Also, my partner and I are currently in the process of building a team. Our goal is not only to build wealth for ourselves, but to help everyone on our team grow as well. We’re compiling a list of questions to make sure we’re all aligned before moving forward.
Would you be open to answering a few of those when the time comes?
Looking forward to connecting more.
Best, Taylor
Hey Taylor- Sure thing- The way I balance those two is because I've built out a rigorous + standardized underwriting system and have a team that is trained on how to evaluate these properties + I'm constantly reaching out to people to try and find you the best deals (to then put those through the underwriting before recommending them to you)
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey Taylor, Cleveland can definitely be a strong market for multifamily investments. From my experience, cash flow tends to be solid, especially in areas with stable rental demand like Ohio City and Tremont. That said, you’ll want to focus on properties with value-add potential. There’s a lot of older inventory that needs work, but it can really pay off in terms of appreciation once renovated. The local economy is diverse, but don’t overlook the neighborhoods with some rough patches. Vacancy rates can be higher in certain areas, so it's important to do your research. Also, building a local team is crucial here. Having a good property manager, contractor, and even a local attorney who knows the ropes can save you time and headaches.
My name is Taylor. A business partner and I are currently exploring investment opportunities in Cleveland, OH. I am in the process of selling one of my rental properties and refinancing another to free up capital for the purchase of a multifamily property. Similarly, my partner is working on refinancing one of his properties to secure additional funds.
Our goal is to invest in a multifamily complex or larger property. The purpose of this post is to introduce ourselves and begin building a local team to serve as our “boots on the ground.”
We would greatly appreciate any feedback on the advantages and challenges of investing in the Cleveland market, as well as any advice or insights you can share. We look forward to connecting with like-minded professionals in the area.
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
1y
Hi Taylor,
Cleveland has continued to attract both local and out of state investors due to its relatively low acquisition costs, strong rental demand in key neighborhoods, and potential for value add opportunities, especially in multifamily. Areas like Old Brooklyn, West Park, and parts of the East Side (such as South Euclid or Cleveland Heights) have seen steady interest due to stable tenant bases and decent rent to price ratios.
A few things to keep in mind, property management and local maintenance are crucial, especially in older buildings. Having reliable contractors or a management team that understands how to work within Cleveland’s housing codes is a must.
Insurance and property taxes can vary significantly depending on neighborhood and building age. Make sure to factor that into your cash flow analysis, especially with older multifamily units.
Financing can get tricky for larger properties depending on the neighborhood classification, some lenders are conservative in certain zip codes. Working with a lender familiar with Cleveland’s submarkets can help.
Happy to see investors taking a strategic approach and building a local team early. Many blessings to you as you grow your real estate portfolio!
Cleveland has continued to attract both local and out of state investors due to its relatively low acquisition costs, strong rental demand in key neighborhoods, and potential for value add opportunities, especially in multifamily. Areas like Old Brooklyn, West Park, and parts of the East Side (such as South Euclid or Cleveland Heights) have seen steady interest due to stable tenant bases and decent rent to price ratios.
A few things to keep in mind, property management and local maintenance are crucial, especially in older buildings. Having reliable contractors or a management team that understands how to work within Cleveland’s housing codes is a must.
Insurance and property taxes can vary significantly depending on neighborhood and building age. Make sure to factor that into your cash flow analysis, especially with older multifamily units.
Financing can get tricky for larger properties depending on the neighborhood classification, some lenders are conservative in certain zip codes. Working with a lender familiar with Cleveland’s submarkets can help.
Happy to see investors taking a strategic approach and building a local team early. Many blessings to you as you grow your real estate portfolio!
100% with the insurance costs on older buildings! I see it all the time