St. Louis Market Mapping: Safe Section 8 / Cash Flow Pockets

St. Louis Market Mapping: Safe Section 8 / Cash Flow Pockets

Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes

Hi BiggerPockets Community,

I am an out-of-state investor and recently acquired a high-yield rental property in Glasgow Village. While the yields there are strong, I want to hedge my St. Louis portfolio by expanding into other local pockets that feature lower crime rates and better school ratings.Because I am investing from out of state, I am looking to connect with a knowledgeable St. Louis investor, agent, or property manager who knows the local grid street-by-street to help map out solid C+ to B- neighborhoods.My Target Strategies:

  • Section 8 Vouchers: Stable, high-yield voucher payments in solid working-class pockets.
  • Pure Cash Flow: Strong rent-to-price ratios with stable tenant bases.
  • Risk Mitigation: Avoiding structural warzones, high vacancy blocks, or rapid turnover streets that are tough to manage from afar.

Looking for Local Insights On:

  1. What specific zip codes or pockets outside of North County do you classify as solid C+ or B- investing zones?
  2. Are there specific street boundaries, highways, or dividing lines I need to watch out for where a neighborhood changes block-by-block?
  3. Who are the investor-friendly Section 8 property managers you trust to manage properties in these segments?

If you are active in the St. Louis market and down to share some high-level context on the local grid, please reply below or shoot me a DM. I'd love to connect, swap notes, and see how we can look for deals together.Thanks,

Motty

1Reply
866 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 76 posts · 23 votes
2mo
Quote from @Motty Fekete:

Hi BiggerPockets Community,

I am an out-of-state investor and recently acquired a high-yield rental property in Glasgow Village. While the yields there are strong, I want to hedge my St. Louis portfolio by expanding into other local pockets that feature lower crime rates and better school ratings.Because I am investing from out of state, I am looking to connect with a knowledgeable St. Louis investor, agent, or property manager who knows the local grid street-by-street to help map out solid C+ to B- neighborhoods.My Target Strategies:

  • Section 8 Vouchers: Stable, high-yield voucher payments in solid working-class pockets.
  • Pure Cash Flow: Strong rent-to-price ratios with stable tenant bases.
  • Risk Mitigation: Avoiding structural warzones, high vacancy blocks, or rapid turnover streets that are tough to manage from afar.

Looking for Local Insights On:

  1. What specific zip codes or pockets outside of North County do you classify as solid C+ or B- investing zones?
  2. Are there specific street boundaries, highways, or dividing lines I need to watch out for where a neighborhood changes block-by-block?
  3. Who are the investor-friendly Section 8 property managers you trust to manage properties in these segments?

If you are active in the St. Louis market and down to share some high-level context on the local grid, please reply below or shoot me a DM. I'd love to connect, swap notes, and see how we can look for deals together.Thanks,

Motty


 Hey Motty,

Welcome to St. Louis investing!

I have a couple of rentals in St. Louis, that cash flow nicely, but are in neighborhoods I would consider C-.

Much success investing in St. Louis.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Motty Fekete:

    Hi BiggerPockets Community,

    I am an out-of-state investor and recently acquired a high-yield rental property in Glasgow Village. While the yields there are strong, I want to hedge my St. Louis portfolio by expanding into other local pockets that feature lower crime rates and better school ratings.Because I am investing from out of state, I am looking to connect with a knowledgeable St. Louis investor, agent, or property manager who knows the local grid street-by-street to help map out solid C+ to B- neighborhoods.My Target Strategies:

    • Section 8 Vouchers: Stable, high-yield voucher payments in solid working-class pockets.
    • Pure Cash Flow: Strong rent-to-price ratios with stable tenant bases.
    • Risk Mitigation: Avoiding structural warzones, high vacancy blocks, or rapid turnover streets that are tough to manage from afar.

    Looking for Local Insights On:

    1. What specific zip codes or pockets outside of North County do you classify as solid C+ or B- investing zones?
    2. Are there specific street boundaries, highways, or dividing lines I need to watch out for where a neighborhood changes block-by-block?
    3. Who are the investor-friendly Section 8 property managers you trust to manage properties in these segments?

    If you are active in the St. Louis market and down to share some high-level context on the local grid, please reply below or shoot me a DM. I'd love to connect, swap notes, and see how we can look for deals together.Thanks,

    Motty


     Hey Motty,

    Welcome to St. Louis investing!

    I have a couple of rentals in St. Louis, that cash flow nicely, but are in neighborhoods I would consider C-.

    Much success investing in St. Louis.

  • Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    2mo

    @Simcha B Shedrowitzky
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

  • Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    2mo

    Hey Motty, quick heads up that I'm not a St. Louis local, so treat this as a data read rather than street knowledge. I build small research tools, and your question was a good reason to line up two public datasets that don't usually get put together: what a Section 8 voucher actually pays per zip (HUD's small-area rents), against what a house there costs (Zillow's typical value). That ratio is basically your cash-flow question, answered zip by zip.

    The one that jumped out for your hedge is 63111, Carondelet and Holly Hills. It's about the cheapest entry in the city right now, roughly $123k typical, and the 3-bedroom voucher still pays around $1,270, so the voucher-to-price ratio is the strongest in the city there. Holly Hills is the steadier, owner-heavy side to anchor on. If you want to trade some of that yield for a calmer base and better schools, the inner South County zips (Affton, and Lemay/Mehlville) are the real step off the North County risk.

    63116 (Dutchtown, Bevo Mill, Tower Grove South) is the workhorse voucher zip, but it's exactly the block-by-block one you flagged. South of Chippewa is the steady side, and the Dutchtown core around Grand and Meramec is where the numbers look great and the management gets harder from out of state.

    I put the whole thing together as a pocket-by-pocket map, with the yield math and the HUD and Zillow source on every number, the dividing lines, and a couple of managers who publicly specialize in vouchers. I can't drop a link in here, but if it's useful I'm glad to send it over. Either way, good luck with the expansion.

    • Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Christo Wilken:

      Hey Motty, quick heads up that I'm not a St. Louis local, so treat this as a data read rather than street knowledge. I build small research tools, and your question was a good reason to line up two public datasets that don't usually get put together: what a Section 8 voucher actually pays per zip (HUD's small-area rents), against what a house there costs (Zillow's typical value). That ratio is basically your cash-flow question, answered zip by zip.

      The one that jumped out for your hedge is 63111, Carondelet and Holly Hills. It's about the cheapest entry in the city right now, roughly $123k typical, and the 3-bedroom voucher still pays around $1,270, so the voucher-to-price ratio is the strongest in the city there. Holly Hills is the steadier, owner-heavy side to anchor on. If you want to trade some of that yield for a calmer base and better schools, the inner South County zips (Affton, and Lemay/Mehlville) are the real step off the North County risk.

      63116 (Dutchtown, Bevo Mill, Tower Grove South) is the workhorse voucher zip, but it's exactly the block-by-block one you flagged. South of Chippewa is the steady side, and the Dutchtown core around Grand and Meramec is where the numbers look great and the management gets harder from out of state.

      I put the whole thing together as a pocket-by-pocket map, with the yield math and the HUD and Zillow source on every number, the dividing lines, and a couple of managers who publicly specialize in vouchers. I can't drop a link in here, but if it's useful I'm glad to send it over. Either way, good luck with the expansion.

      Hey @Christo Wilken,

      Appreciate the detailed data read! Combining HUD's small-area rents with Zillow values is a great way to map out the yield potential, and the callout regarding the Chippewa boundary in 63116 is exactly the street-level context I'm watching for.

      I'd definitely love to see the pocket-by-pocket map, yield breakdown, and property manager recommendations. Please shoot me a DM with the details whenever you get a chance!

      Best,

      Motty

  • Jonah WatsonPro Member
    Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1mo

    There’s pockets of crime there, like any major city. For what I like to do personally, I break it down on a street by street level for section 8. I tend to stay away from things like shootings on the same street as the property as it discourages tenants. This tends to be one of the biggest factors I’ve noticed when tenants are choosing properties, obviously besides location, size of home/condition etc. 

    As far as specific areas, there’s a few with rental restrictions like Dellwood, so be sure to check into that before purchasing as well, although if you’re doing it on market, any decent agent should warn you of that. 

    I’m heavily focused in this area, so if you need anymore help, feel free to shoot me a DM!

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 602 posts · 451 votes
    1mo

    Motty, I'm not St. Louis - Memphis, few hundred doors, mostly Section 8, operating since 2003 - so I won't pretend to know your grid street-by-street. But I run exactly the strategy you're describing in a comparable market, and there are three numbers that will do more for your pocket-picking than any amount of "C+ vs B-" debate, because they're objective and the locals' letter grades aren't.

    First: the spread between the housing authority payment standard and open-market rent, by zip and bedroom count. Christo's HUD-vs-Zillow ratio above is the right instinct on the price side; this is the rent side. In some zips the voucher standard pays 10-20% ABOVE what the open market would give you for the same house. Those zips are where the strategy actually works, because you're collecting above-market rent with most of it arriving by government direct deposit. A zip can look identical on rent-to-price and be night-and-day on this spread.

    Second: waitlist depth at the housing authority. A deep waitlist means every unit you pass inspection on has a line of tenants behind it - your real vacancy risk collapses. That's a phone call to the authority, not a dataset.

    Third, and this is the one nobody puts in a spreadsheet: when you interview those "Section 8 friendly" PMs, ask each one what percentage of their inspections pass FIRST TIME, and what their average days-from-vacancy-to-HAP-payment is. A PM who can't answer both numbers instantly is not actually a voucher operator, whatever their marketing says - and in this asset class the PM is a bigger variable than the zip. I'd take a great voucher PM in a C pocket over a mediocre one in a B pocket every time; I've owned both versions of that trade.

    Jonah's street-level crime point is real, but note WHY it matters for us specifically: voucher holders choose where to lease, and they talk to each other. Blocks with incidents don't just discourage one tenant - they quietly fall off the informal list of streets voucher families will consider, and your demand dries up without any data warning you.

    You clearly do your homework. Happy to compare notes on the operational side any time - the mechanics are the same in every voucher market, only the zip codes change.

  • Amit PatelBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Bartlett, IL · Member since 2025 · 151 posts · 60 votes
    1mo

    Smart move looking to balance higher yield areas with more stable pockets. Out of state investing works best when you have real local knowledge of where the neighborhood quality actually changes, because a few blocks can make a big difference in crime, turnover, and how easy the property is to manage from afar.

    I am based in the Chicago suburbs rather than St. Louis, so I will not pretend to know the street by street grid there. What I can share from experience is that the solid C+ to B- working class areas usually show up when you cross check recent crime maps, school ratings, vacancy trends, and actual rents that Section 8 and regular tenants are paying. The managers who do well with voucher properties tend to be the ones who already have strong relationships with the local housing authority and a clear process for inspections and compliance.

    The most reliable path is usually connecting with a couple of local investor focused agents and property managers who actively work those segments and can walk you through the boundaries in person or with recent examples. Online data helps, but the on the ground context is what keeps remote owners out of problem blocks.

    Casanomy Property Management564 Reviews
  • Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    1mo

    Thank you all for your insights.. im looking to brrrr and rent it for a section 8 tenant i noticed tgat st louis has very high FRM rates compare to other investor areas like cleveland OH pittsburgh PA etc..

    • Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 1 vote
      1mo
      Quote from @Motty Fekete:

      Thank you all for your insights.. im looking to brrrr and rent it for a section 8 tenant i noticed tgat st louis has very high FRM rates compare to other investor areas like cleveland OH pittsburgh PA etc..


      Glad it's still useful. One thing on the FMR comparison, since it decides where the BRRRR math lands: the FMR level on its own doesn't tell you much. A high FMR next to a high purchase price nets out the same as a low one next to a low price. What decides a voucher deal is the ratio, the voucher rent for that zip against what you paid. Across the 59 St. Louis zips I looked at, that ratio runs from under 6% a year to over 30%, and nearly all of that spread is price, not FMR.

      So the same question for Cleveland or Pittsburgh needs their zip-level rents against their prices, not the metro FMR. I haven't run those metros, so I can't say how they compare.

      Two caveats before you lean on any of it. The housing authority pays its own payment standard, usually somewhere between 90 and 110 percent of the published number, and St. Louis has two authorities, city and county, on separate schedules. If you tell me the zips you're looking at, I'll check where they sit.

    • Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      1mo
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Motty Fekete:

    Hi BiggerPockets Community,

    I am an out-of-state investor and recently acquired a high-yield rental property in Glasgow Village. While the yields there are strong, I want to hedge my St. Louis portfolio by expanding into other local pockets that feature lower crime rates and better school ratings.Because I am investing from out of state, I am looking to connect with a knowledgeable St. Louis investor, agent, or property manager who knows the local grid street-by-street to help map out solid C+ to B- neighborhoods.My Target Strategies:

    • Section 8 Vouchers: Stable, high-yield voucher payments in solid working-class pockets.
    • Pure Cash Flow: Strong rent-to-price ratios with stable tenant bases.
    • Risk Mitigation: Avoiding structural warzones, high vacancy blocks, or rapid turnover streets that are tough to manage from afar.

    Looking for Local Insights On:

    1. What specific zip codes or pockets outside of North County do you classify as solid C+ or B- investing zones?
    2. Are there specific street boundaries, highways, or dividing lines I need to watch out for where a neighborhood changes block-by-block?
    3. Who are the investor-friendly Section 8 property managers you trust to manage properties in these segments?

    If you are active in the St. Louis market and down to share some high-level context on the local grid, please reply below or shoot me a DM. I'd love to connect, swap notes, and see how we can look for deals together.Thanks,

    Motty

    Hey Motty, you’re thinking about it the right way. When you’re investing out of state, knowing the neighborhood block by block is huge, especially with Section 8 and C+ to B- areas where the numbers can look great on paper but vary street by street. If you’re open to looking outside St. Louis, I’d also put Ohio on your radar. Cleveland, Columbus, and Dayton have some solid cash flow pockets and can be worth comparing from an out-of-state investor standpoint. Happy to share what I’m seeing and connect if you want to swap notes.

  • Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    1mo

    @Christo Wilken did you find any other zip across the u.s. with stable school disticts and appreciation where the ratio between Purchase price and Section 8 payments are high? in other words they are very high cashflow section 8?

    • Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 1 vote
      3w
      Quote from @Motty Fekete:

      @Christo Wilken did you find any other zip across the u.s. with stable school disticts and appreciation where the ratio between Purchase price and Section 8 payments are high? in other words they are very high cashflow section 8?


      Congrats on 63137. I ran that across the country: HUD's ZIP-level rent for a 3 bedroom against Zillow's typical single-family value, for the roughly 26,000 ZIPs that have both. A high ratio on its own mostly turns up places where prices have been falling, so I also filtered for prices up at least 3% a year over five years, dropped anything under $60k or with too few homes, and kept only the metros where housing authorities have to use the ZIP-level rent. That leaves 27 ZIPs. Sixteen of them are in four metros: the south suburbs of Chicago and Gary, Kansas City, Detroit, and St. Louis, where all three are North County. Outside St. Louis, examples are 64126 and 64127 in Kansas City and 45417 in Dayton.

      Your 63137 is in the top 1.3% of all ZIPs on the ratio itself. It misses the list on appreciation: prices there are up about 2.8% a year over five years, but flat over the last three and down over the last year.

      The part I have not checked is the school districts, so that half of your question is still open. I'll email you the full list.

    • Investor · Monroe NY · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      3w

      Thanks so much for the spreadsheet. its amazing.

      63137 school district is worse then F grading.. the area is mostly tenants, single moms, however there is still a good demand from cashflow buyers. so the trick is to get a property for a purchase price low enough under market and a good sec 8 tenant. with the cash flow and equity buffer you are in very good shape and ok to grow just with inflation rate

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.