BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 105: From Minimum Wage to Full Time Flipper with Ophelia Nicholson

Expertise:

Prepare to be inspired and motivated after listening to today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast! In this program we sit down with Ophelia Nicholson, a house flipper from the Maryland area who got started with real estate while working a minimum wage job. You’ll learn how she broke out of that life and was able to quit her job to become a full time, successful house flipper, working on multiple properties at once!

Listen for insightful tips on applying for a loan, learning to be a landlord, partnering with family members and quitting your job for real estate. If you're wondering whether it's possible to make your investing dreams come true, don't miss out on this episode — it'll give you great insight into how you CAN make it happen!

Read the Transcript

Click here to read the transcript.

Listen on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

In This Show We Cover:

• How Ophelia got started investing
    BiggerPockets-Podcast-Cover 300 300
  • The story of her “first small house
  • How to buy a house on a minimum wage salary
  • Tips on applying for a loan
  • The experience of becoming an accidental landlord
  • What to do if you’re sued by your renter
  • Lessons about starting out as a landlord
  • Ophelia’s on and off relationship with real estate
  • The pros and cons of partnering with family
  • How to put 15 properties under contract in 30 days
  • Quitting your job for real estate
  • Thoughts on women getting into real estate investing
  • Plus MUCH more!

Links From the Show:

Books Mentioned in the Show

Connect with Ophelia

Brandon’s Staircase

brandon staircase

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investors and other real estate professionals, who chat about failures, successes, motivations, and lessons learned.

Ericka
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This is amazing stuff, I like her story. She needs to write a book, every day Americans make 50-100k a year and cant seem to save, invest,or buy their first home. There are like over 35 first time home buyers programs here in central texas because the cost of living is going up so fast, I only moved here 2 years almost 3 years ago and will be buying house asap. I been in the apartment industry and now with real estate license ready to roll. thanks for the podcast guys.
    Ophelia Nicholson Involved In Real Estate from Hyattsville , Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Ericka, Thanks so much for listening. We will see about the book later on- Good Luck on your home buying journey and happy investing.
    Pamela Holland from HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great information! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Lauren N Sellers from Bucks County, PENNSYLVANIA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Fantastic show! Ophelia’s story is really inspiring! I hope to work with her in the future!
    Amy Braden Residential Real Estate Agent from Milford, Ohio
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I look forward to Thursday’s for the new podcasts and this one didn’t disappoint! I am a new flipper and real estate agent and found this podcast to be very inspiring. She has had to learn some lessons the hard way but she seems to be flourishing now. Way to go Ophelia!
    Frank
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show, love your story it’s really inspirational, just to piggy back on your comment about first time home buyer programs NACA is a nationwide program. Much success to you and happy investing.
    Dawn Rodgers Specialist from Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Loved this podcast. Her enthusiasm is infectious. The banter between everyone was great.
    Billy Cones from Harker Heights, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great focus, keep up the good works.
    Ophelia Nicholson Involved In Real Estate from Hyattsville , Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks to everyone who listened and supported the show. Your well wishes and comments are greatly appreciated.
    Jerry Robinson Investor from Atlanta, Ga
    Replied over 4 years ago
    great show, Ophelia you really show what can be done in this business if you are focused and driven to succeed. Thx for sharing.
    Willie Morales Investor from New York City, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Ophelia Great show, I like the way you think big and not afraid to go for it. Thank you
    Rachel Gill Investor from Baltimore, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This was my favorite Podcast thus far! Loved hearing from a female investor and her can-do attitude is contagious! Congrats Ophelia! I’m rooting for you to make your 30 this year!
    Joshua Dorkin from Denver, CO
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I’m glad you enjoyed the show, Rachel. Ophelia was great and had a ton of cool wisdom to share.
    Victoria Winters from Laguna Beach, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you Josh, Brandon and Ophelia! This was a fantastic podcast and I loved it. The can do attitude and spirit of moving ahead with achieving your goals is an inspiration to everyone. Many thanks to Josh for presenting a woman in rehab business. All the podcast guests are fabulous and I will do my best to participate in the contest announced.
    Javier Marchena from Winter Springs, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Podcast, thanks Ophelia for sharing your experience.
    Patricia Bowler Rental Property Investor from Richmond, VA
    Inspiring, Ophelia!
    Andrea
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Wow, that actually was inspiring! Ophelia is personable and smart, and a great speaker. Maybe a career in speaking is in your future! A partial summary: 1. Have good credit. 2. Be very responsible, in general. 3. Learn from your mistakes. 4. Have enough money in reserves to live on for a year of you’re going to quit your job. 5. Go big or go home. 6. Women do great rehabs. Am I missing anything? Thanks!
    Paulineh Ob from Greenbelt, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Ophelia, this is great! New to the platform, this is the first podcast, I have listened to. Quite inspirational, will love to connect.
    Scott Le from Tampa, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast, Ophelia! Can you talk about what kind of returns you are looking for on your flips to be doing 6 at once? I have a hard time finding more than a few at any time that seem worthwhile, yet here you are working on 6 as we speak. I’d love to know more about what you are looking for.
    Scott Le from Tampa, Florida
    Tanisha Williams from Chesapeake, Virginia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Ophelia. I’m new to Bigger Pockets. I’ve been interested in investing for years but am just now getting into it. I am a single female from Virginia. This is the first PodCast that I’ve listen to on here and have learned a lot in this one hour!!! I am a software developer by day but real estate is my passion. With me already being in a male dominated field I already believe that females can do anything. However, you have truly inspired me and shown me that I can do this!!I I am so happy for you and you are truly an inspiration. I wish you much success and blessing and I look forward to hearing your update this time next year and hearing about your 30 deals for 2015!!
    Ariell McKinney from New Orleans, Louisiana
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Ophelia, Thanks for sharing your story. How did you purchase the 2nd house?
    Johnson Ejalu from Waldorf, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Podcast! Very inspiring and I can relate to about 90% of what she talked about….except the 6 rehabs 🙂 Hopefully one day I’ll get to meet you in person and share stories. Good work Ophelia!
    Deshawn Jennings Real Estate Agent from Baltimore, MD
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Very inspiring! I’m new to investing and your story was a much needed motivator!! Keep at it.
    Rolanda Eldridge Investor/Realtor from Hoover, Alabama
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Awesome!!! A great story!!! Stay Hungry!!!
    Deadrick Colbert Investor from Easley, South Carolina
    Replied over 4 years ago
    What an awesome podcast! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.
    Luyanda Koboka from Stone Mountain, Georgia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Ophelia’s story is simple yet inspirational. She came to the U.S and just plugged away! She is a go getter for sure!
    Thomas Coburn Real Estate Investor from Seattle, Washington
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Man! What a great podcast. Thanks a lot for your time and expertise on the show. I just completed my first flip… took 7 months! Great to hear how you’ve progressed from a long time span to now do many at a time. VERY inspiring! Thanks! – Tommy, Seattle, WA
    Steph C. Real Estate Investor from Bristol County, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This was yet another great podcast! Ophelia is truly inspiring and I listened to this episode again this week. I heard you guys discuss grants/downpayment information and where you can dind out about these types of programs offered in the US. We used grants and other first time buyer programs to buy our first primary residence. If anyone wants links to the websites that I have used to research this info in the past, please send me a PM (not sure if it’s ok to post the links here). Thanks, Steph
    Deshan Kennedy Real Estate Agent from Fredericksburg, VA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This is my third time listening to this podcast and it is a great one to listen to and learn from.
    Salvador Senar Jr. Real Estate Investor from Covina, Ca
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Very light and funny but informative!! I enjoyed this show. Listened to it at least 3 times. Thank you for the motivation!!!
    Erika Carter Residential Real Estate Broker from Chicago, IL
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Great podcast Ophelia! Thank you! Good stair case as well Brandon!
    Zoe Mercier Rental Property Investor from Tallahassee, FL
    Replied about 3 years ago
    I know the show was a while ago but I just heard it and wanted to say that I am proud of you as a woman for the success that you have had. It’s inspiring because while I am working with my Dad and husband I am pretty much running the show and it is really great to hear how you have persevered and done as well as you have. We are just starting out and hearing your story helps give me the confidence to go for it. Thanks for sharing via the show and all your forum posts and responses!
    JoJo Bayliss from Stafford, Virginia
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Just watched the show. Ophelia I live in Va and really enjoyed your story. I’m brand new to Real Estate and hope to follow in your footsteps. I am helping manage my parents first couple of rentals and currently taking Real Estate classes. Looking forward to my first purchase and flip. BRANDON’s Staircase looks phenomenal!