Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, we’re excited to sit down with an individual many people already know from television, radio, and the newspaper — Clark Howard. Besides being a nationally-syndicated radio and TV star, Clark Howard is also a real estate investor who has a unique outlook on the way real estate should fit into your financial picture, as well as numerous tips on avoiding scams, finding great locations to invest in, and much more! Don’t miss a second of this powerful episode!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive’s team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we’ve got quality assurance down to an art.
Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Who TV and Radio Personality Clark Howard is
- How he went from a beach bum to financially free
- His job at the radio station
- His investing portfolio
- A story about the real estate bust
- How he bought properties through the bust (2011)
- How to not get into the “investing hysteria“
- Why you should avoid the “dare to be rich” pitch
- What the “smell test” is
- Why there’s no one magical way to invest
- Why understanding the local market is crucial
- How to farm neighborhoods
- Why you need to have a purpose behind how you’re investing
- Tips for investing in general
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- 100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask by Ilyce R. Glink
- Buy, Close, Move In! by Ilyce R. Glink
- The Wealthy Barber, Updated 3rd Edition by David Chilton
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- “It’s part of who we are that we want to believe in miracle stories.” (Tweet This!)