BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 158: An Easy-to-Follow Blueprint for Building Your Real Estate Deal Pipeline with Jeff DeCarlo

Expertise:

Great real estate deals can be hard to find in a competitive market. So how do some investors manage to find multiple deals every month? That’s the focus of today’s show, where we sit down with active real estate entrepreneur Jeff DeCarlo as he shares his step-by-step blueprint for getting hundreds of leads from motivated sellers! You’ll love the “extra mile” Jeff goes to ensure his real estate pipeline never dries up!

Read the Transcript

Click here to read the transcript.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Watch the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

This Show Sponsored By

PATLive-LogoWe just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive's team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we've got quality assurance down to an art.

Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!

Fire Round Sponsor

mileiq-logoA huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor MileIQ.

MileIQ is an automatic mileage tracker that tracks the miles you drive for business. By using smart drive-detection technology, MileIQ automatically logs your drives and calculates their value – automatically creating a mileage log that’s compliant with IRS guidelines.

Try it for free today by texting POCKETS to 31996.

In This Episode We Cover:

• BiggerPockets Podcast ArtworkWhat Jeff did before he started investing
  • How he was laid off during the crash
  • The first wholesale deal he completed
  • How he learned things that courses don’t teach
  • The details of Jeff’s first deal
  • What transactional funding is
  • What investors should know about wholesaling
  • Two different ways to close deals when wholesaling
  • The costs involved in wholesaling deals
  • Great tips for getting a mentor
  • The main focus of Jeff’s business today
  • How to wholesale 4 deals per month
  • What to do when problems arise
  • How to stay in control of your deal
  • The strategies he uses to invest
  • What you should know about direct mail marketing
  • What to do with bad addresses
  • How Jeff puts together his mailing list
  • How to get deals despite being the “smaller guy”
  • The difference between those who persist and those who don’t
  • Tips for estimating repairs
  • A discussion on partnering with other wholesalers
  • And SO much more!

Links from the Show

Books Mentioned in this Show

Tweetable Topics:

• “If you never get to your first deal, you will never figure stuff out.” (Tweet This!)
  • “The experience is worth more than even getting that big first cheque.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Jeff

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investo...
    Jonathan Makovsky Investor from Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, Connecticut
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Loved this show – Jeff you were fantastic and so real! One point that I kept nodding my head was that it is not a one-size fits all model. There is no perfect phone script, no perfect mailer, no perfect offer-letter, etc. You tried so many different things with a lot of different people and most of the times – like all of us – you didn’t succeed. But because you continuously put yourself out there so much you get a helluva a lot of deals done per month. I really commend your hustle Jeff! Newbies, I think it’s really worthwhile to note that if you want anything in real estate (like a good property, a good contractor, a good lender, good private investors, good employees, a good mentor, etc.) you need to see/interview/put offers on SO MANY to find the right one(s) and it takes a lot of time and work to find it. But at the end of the day – just like Jeff – we talk about the many deals he’s done in a month, not all the ones he missed on to get there. Keep on rockin Jeff!
    Jeff DeCarlo Developer from Allison Park, PA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Jonathan, Thanks for the comment! Thats’s a good point, nobody highlights the missed deals or the mistakes they have made to get to a place where this business is providing a good living and the lifestyle you choose! Not every deal is going to work out, you are not always going to say or do the right thing w/ the sellers and buyers. I have probably learned more from the deals that didn’t work out then the ones that went super smooth. If it was easy and didn’t take work everyone would be doing it! That being said, it is not rocket science, you do not need a law, physics, MBA, or PHD degree to get started in this business! All the info you need to get started is out there and within this community. With some hard work, determination, and ACTION you can get started today and make a great living and create the lifestyle you choose! Get out there make some mistakes and make it happen!!
    Francisco Feliz from Boston, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This is fantastic, super actionable information! So many tips and tricks on how to go the extra mile and secure leads and deals. Thanks so much for this!
    Eyan Lakhani Wholesaler from San Antonio, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Action and content pack Podcast ! Listened twice already. Will playback after a few weeks again ! Thanks Jeff !!
    Andrew Syrios Residential Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, MO
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast, well done Jeff!
    Paul Sorgi Real Estate Investor from Abington, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Jeff is a great example of using the 25 25 50 rule which I first learned reading the book “The Pledge” by Mark Ford . 25% of his time learning through reading, 25% of his time learning from others, and 50% of his time taking LOTS of ACTION.
    Adrian Smude Rental Property Investor from Plant City, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Another amazing podcast! Jeff has Great info! I love the passion! I’m addicted to talking about real estate as well. So many great nuggets of info in this episode!
    Brian Krause from Park Ridge, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show Jeff. You really had a great number of tips that I’m going to be listening to this one more time with a notepad (usually I do while I’m in the car). You really did a great job of laying out a business plan around doing mailings. As a new guy I found it quite helpful.
    Donald Cooley Railroad Conductor / Future investor from New Baltimore, MI
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show and great energy. Just a ton of information to take in, definitely going to have to listen a couple more times.
    Tim G. Rental Property Investor from San Diego, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Awesome interview, one of the best ones for wholesalers. Well worth the listen, thanks to everyone involved!
    cassio de almeida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Adding to the comment above, not only is this one of the best podcast for wholesaler but for anyone looking to tweak their marketing campaign. Great stuff Jeff!!
    cassio de almeida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    By the way, what worked best for you with Vumber, a 1-800 number or a local number?
    Jeff DeCarlo Developer from Allison Park, PA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I have had best results w/ a local Vumber #. I have tried both and had better response w/ local #s. I use a different # for all my marketing campaigns so I can track response rate!
    Ced Levye from Los Angeles, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This dude is phenomenal…he needs another session to just let him talk!! Valuable.. listening to this on the constant.. thanks Jeff!
    Ryan Miller Wholesaler from Dallas, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast. I just started listening to BP podcasts in the last month, as I’ve been looking into rentals. I’ve been wholesaling for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. I’ve never been big on seminars because of the way they are structured, but the BP podcasts are great. People speaking form their experiences vs selling you on something is much more my style. I would like to hear more podcasts on wholesaling.
    David Wiggers Investor from Salem, Oregon
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Good show guys! Brandon, love the dry erase board in the back ground. I love processing deals and ideas on mine also.
    Tracy R. from Marietta, GA
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Jeff, Just came across this podcast, thank you for being so real and open about how this biz has been for you, and how you’ve found your “place” in it. I am just starting to learn and figure out what I want my niche to be by listening to BP podcasts and webinars. (side note: A big thanks here to Josh and Brandon for always being so detail-oriented and really digging down into topics that your interviewees mention, in case a newer person is listening) Ok, back to my question for Jeff: I would appreciate it if you could give a bit more detail on something you mentioned in the last 6 mins. I believe you said you go onto the sites where you can buy the lists, to find out where the cash buyers are by pulling the cash transaction areas. You mentioned you don’t have to actually buy those lists, but now you can know the zips where the highest cash transactions are, and those are where the wholesalers and rehabbers are active. I was wondering whether you could give some more detail on exactly how you do this process on the list-buying sites. I tried to do it on one of them, but I haven’t actually bought any lists yet, so I got confused when I was trying to test this, to see where a good area to start “farming” would be. (I know it was getting to the end of this show, so that’s probably why you didn’t go into more detail then.) Thanks a bunch if you can give anymore details, and thanks again for such a fun, informative, and “real” show!