Personal Development

The Best Investment You Can Make (And No, It’s Not Real Estate)

Expertise: Commercial Real Estate, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing, Business Management, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate Investing Basics, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing
invest-in-yourself

What’s the absolute best investment you can make?

It’s actually not real estate! In fact, it’s a hundred times better than investing in real estate.

This might seem like an odd statement for a real estate guy. But it’s true. And this is definitely not a pitch for a stocks, gold, or a putting money into a tech startup. I can guarantee you that it will be a more reliable and far more valuable investment than any of those.

What I’m talking about is an investment in yourself.

real-estate-goals

What Successful People Have in Common

Talk to any truly successful person, and they will tell you the same thing. Ask Tony Robbins, Earl Nightingale, or Grant Cardone.

Investing in yourself — your knowledge, health, and skills — can deliver the best returns you could ever hope for. Not only can this deliver exponentially growing returns for your lifetime (and perhaps even for generations to come), but unlike stocks, gold, or even real estate, it is really hard to lose. You can make a mistake and lose all of your wealth, but if you’ve still got the knowledge, you can rebuild everything again — bigger, better, and faster.

Related: 4 Daily Habits to Continuously Improve Yourself as a Real Estate Investor

Sadly, we often neglect this investment.

Why Investors Fail in This Area

Often, we are in such a rush to get to the results, we kick investing in ourselves to the curb. That is putting the cart before the horse, so to speak, and it’s often very counterproductive. At a minimum, it starves us of really hitting our full potential. In many cases, it means expensive and painful detours and possibly having to start back from the beginning (without the personal tools we really need).

This isn’t just a problem for new investors. Even those seeing good progress and results, even real estate teachers and trainers can suffer from this to an even greater extent. Oftentimes we get bogged down in our day to day and fail to take time to further grow ourselves. This is especially true when things seem to be going really good. It’s like, “I’ve got this, I’m so great, I’m so busy.” Then bam! It catches up with you. Self investment is a constant process. You are never done.

keller-williams

Transform Your Business — And Life

When you do consistently invest in yourself, just this one idea can transform not only your business and financial investment performance, but your life, too. I can personally attest to this.

Related: The Best Way to Reach Your Real Estate Goals? Stop Focusing on Money & Ask Yourself THIS.

My life changed when I heard the strangest secret by Earl Nightingale. Six words ultimately changed my whole outlook on life.

The real key here is making a plan to constantly invest in yourself. When you sit down to plan your year and lay out your annual goals, make sure you carve out the time and budget to do this. Have a plan for weekly growth. This may include attending seminars, taking new courses, reading books, and listening to audiobooks.

What are you doing to invest in yourself?

Let me know with a comment!

Sterling is an multifamily investor specializing in value-add apartments in Indianapolis and other Midwestern markets. With just under a decade of experience in the real estate industry, Sterling w...
    Douglas Skipworth Rental Property Investor from Memphis, TN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I love it, Sterling. Like you, I believe that investing in yourself is the best time and money you will ever spend. Jim Rohn said something like, “If you invest in your job, you can make a living; but if you invest in yourself, you can make a fortune.” Thanks for the great reminder!
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    We are cut from the same cloth for sure! That philosophy from Jim Rohn is what I had in mind when writing this!
    Tapanga Matthews from Mississauga, Ontario
    Replied about 4 years ago
    This is a great post! We often get so caught up trying to keep up that we forget to fuel ourselves. Be it healthier choices, additional knowledge, continuing education and so forth. It’s important to have a solid foundation in order to be able to build an empire! Best Regards, T.Matthews
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Well said Tapanga! What are things you are doing to work on yourself?
    Andrew Syrios Residential Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, MO
    Replied about 4 years ago
    It is amazing how much time can get spent on those day to day tasks, or the Quadrant 1 things that Stephen Covey talks about. But Quadrant 2, the important but not urgent, are what’s really critical to grow your business (and yourself too of course)
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    It’s time for me to revisit his books Andrew. Thank you for the reminder! Totally agree with your statement.
    tillamooktim
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Absolutely right on! I have invested a great deal of my life in learning skills and getting the tools to preform the jobs, just having this knowledge I can evaluate cost and time of a contractor and if I need to hire one at all.
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Glad you enjoyed the article. Have you been able to make your first deal with the acquired knowledge?
    Laura Sulak Investor from Temple, TX
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Another great post, Sterling, thank you! I really enjoy your articles and reading about the holistic approach to real estate investing. When are we going to hear you on a podcast?
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Thank you Laura for the kind words. Its truly appreciated. A possible podcast feature will be soon! They are always taking requests. *Hint hint*
    Michael Watts Investor from Mobile, Alabama
    Replied about 4 years ago
    what are some of your favorite real estate and business books
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Great question Michael the first real estate book I read was “the millionaire real estate investor”. I generally read business/inspirational books. Favorites are: 4 Hour work week, Malcolm X autobiography, Maverick Mindset, The lean Startup, The Icarus Deception
    Brian Weiss from Buford, Georgia
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Thank you for the contribution Sterling. I am an avid reader and believe in the importance of continuous improvement. Would love to connect some time and share 30 minutes getting to know each other. I am looking to purchase my 1st investment property. Would welcome the chance to share ideas. Mentorship is another way of investing in yourself. I would value the insight you could share. Let me know if you’re open to a short phone call. Brian Weiss [email protected]
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Thanks for reaching out Brian. Shoot me a DM with any questions. I will do my best to answer. Best of luck
    Bhushan