BiggerPockets Podcast 245: Creating Wealth that Lasts Generations with Bestselling Author Ryan Holiday
Are you in this business to make a quick buck—or are you looking to build generational wealth for you and your family? If the latter is true for you, don’t miss a moment of this powerful show with bestselling author Ryan Holiday. Ryan, best known for his books, such as The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph, Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator, Ego Is the Enemy, and Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work that Lasts, is also a part-time real estate investor and lender. In this show, we cover a large variety of topics including hard money lending, vacation rentals, writing books, how the awareness of death can make life better, stoicism, and much, much more.
Want more articles like this?
Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inboxSign up for free
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: Patch of Land. Patch of Land is a Peer-to-Real-Estate (“P2RE”) lending marketplace that matches accredited and institutional investors seeking high-yield, short-term, asset-collateralized investments to borrowers seeking more timely and consistent sources of funding for rehabbing properties across America.
Learn more by visiting Patch of Land!
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Ryan’s background
- The importance of learning from other people
- His experience as Director of Marketing for American Apparel
- Tips on looking for a mentor
- His first real estate adventure
- His thoughts on Airbnb
- How he gets leads for loans
- How to do what you love through passive income
- The story behind The Obstacle is the Way
- How to react to economy collapse
- Advice to investors who only see the obstacle
- How to control your ego
- Why you should do the right thing despite not sharing it
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Facebook
- BiggerPockets Books
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- Josh’s Instagram Profile
- Brandon’s Instagram Profile
- Derek Sivers
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Set for Life by Scott Trench
- Finding and Funding Great Deals by Anson Young
- The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- Trust Me, I’m Lying by Ryan Holiday
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- Perennial Seller by Ryan Holiday
- The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
- Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
- Rich Dad Poor Dad By Robert Kiyosaki
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley
- Fooled by Randomness by Nicholas Taleb
- The Black Swan by Nicholas Taleb
- Antifragile by Nicholas Taleb
- Billion Dollar Lessons by Paul B. Carroll & Chunka Mui
Fire Round Questions
- “Any fool can learn by experience. I prefer to learn by the experience of others.” (Tweet This!)
- “Every single business is hiring if you can help them make more than you cost.” (Tweet This!)
- “A mentorship is not a destination, it’s a process that ensues.” (Tweet This!)