Landlording & Rental Properties

What You Should Know About Investing in U.S. Properties From Abroad

Expertise: Business Management, Personal Development, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Real Estate Investing Basics, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate News & Commentary
170 Articles Written

How many of you are either U.S. citizens living abroad or not a U.S. citizen and wondering if and/or how you can invest in U.S. real estate?

Want more articles like this?

Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inbox

Sign up for free

If you are wondering if it is possible—yes, you can absolutely invest in U.S. real estate (and should!).

Investing in U.S. real estate is not difficult, but there are some extremely important things you need to be aware of in that process because if you do something incorrectly, you could end up facing severe tax implications and other headaches.

To help you buy U.S. real estate in the easiest way possible with little complication along the way, I’m going to offer you the most basic of basic to-do lists to help you get started.

The major differentiation that must be made in this discussion is whether you are actually a U.S. citizen living abroad or whether you are a foreign national wanting to buy U.S. property. This differentiation is only relevant for the structuring process and financing options, not so much for the process of buying a property itself. For each of these categories, I will briefly explain the structuring process, the financing options, and then the buying process.

U.S. Citizens Buying U.S. Property From Abroad

You have it the easiest. Ultimately, you don’t have to do anything different than you normally would for structuring or financing properties in the U.S.


Just as if you were living in the United States, when you find a property you want, you can buy it in your own name or in an entity's name (e.g. LLC). An entity is not required to be set up for you to buy residential properties, so you can do it however you want, but you are free to buy in your personal name as a U.S. citizen.

If you are wondering whether you should buy a residential rental property in an LLC’s name, here is a summary of the information I got about doing that when I was researching it for my own properties: “Should You Put Your Rental Properties in an LLC?” Be sure to read through all of the comments as well because they lend to a lot of additional information for you to consider.


This is where being a U.S. citizen is the most beneficial. Only U.S. citizens qualify for traditional mortgages, and those mortgages are by far the cheapest financing you are likely to find. The interest rates, especially now, are the lowest of anything else. Traditional mortgages include options like FHA and VA loans, in addition to conventional mortgages. FHA and VA loans are great because they require the lowest down payments, but they do have stronger restrictions about you occupying the property, so those may not work if you are living abroad unless you are planning to arrive back and live in that property.

Conventional mortgages require a minimum of 20% down for single-family homes, or 25% down for multi-family homes, depending on your qualifications. And then, of course, you can use any other kind of financing you want, but being able to get a traditional mortgage is the biggest benefit to U.S. citizens trying to buy residential properties. You will need to get pre-qualified with a lender to see if you qualify for a mortgage, especially since in the last few years the qualification requirements have become much more stringent than they used to be. Also be sure you are strategic in which lender you work with. A hint—the big banks will rarely finance an investment property. They just aren't wired for it. If you want more information on how to find an investor-friendly agent, check out "The Epic Guide to Finding an Investor-Friendly Real Estate Agent.”


Foreign Nationals Buying U.S. Property from Abroad

The good news is that you can buy U.S. property, and it’s also a fairly straightforward process.

Note: I am not a licensed expert in any capacity on this process. I highly encourage all foreign nationals to consult with a licensed structuring specialist focused on internationals/foreign nationals buying U.S. property. These experts do exist. They will charge you some money, but I think they are worth every penny. The major risk in you doing it yourself without the help of an expert is that you set yourself up incorrectly and you end up with tax consequences that you can’t get rid of later. Again, the process is straightforward, but it needs to be set up correctly.

Related: Why It’s About to Become a LOT Easier to Invest From Afar in the Next 5-10 Years


You must set up a U.S. entity prior to buying an investment property. This is where an expert needs to come in and set you up correctly. The setup is extremely specific to the country where you have citizenship. For instance, the typical setup is your run-of-the-mill LLC, but if you are Canadian, it is actually not an LLC that you need—it’s different one. This is the most I can tell you about the entity structuring—that you need it and you need the right one—as I don’t have expert knowledge on the details of that structuring or the details on setting it up.

The reason your entity structure is so important is because that structure will be what determines how paying taxes on your property will play out. If you are set up wrong, you could end up having to pay tax penalties and/or double taxation between the U.S. and your country of citizenship.

There is a step two in this structuring! First, you have to set up your U.S. entity, then you need to set up a U.S. bank account. The structuring expert can also assist you in this part. It’s very easy, and I don’t know any more details on whether some banks are better than others or not, but I know you have to have a U.S. bank account.

Once you have your entity and your bank account setup, you are ready to buy! But first…


This is really where not being a U.S. citizen is most hurtful, but it’s certainly not a deal-breaker (both figuratively and literally!). Really, the only thing you can’t do as an international/foreign investor buying in the United States is qualify for a traditional mortgage. As I said before, traditional mortgages are the cheapest ways to buy properties. Just because you won’t qualify for the cheapest ways doesn’t mean there aren’t still options.

Your first option—and the most popular option with international investors—is to pay cash for the property. Obviously, this doesn’t help with leveraging and doesn’t help if you are limited on capital, but you can buy for cash all day long if you want to.

Your second option is private financing. By private financing, I mean private lenders more than private people (although you can certainly take money from anyone willing to lend you money). A lot of people don’t know about private lenders. Private lenders, at least in the capacity I have worked with them, qualify based on the property and not you personally. How worthy of a property are you trying to buy? The main private lenders I’ve worked with have denied properties solely for what neighborhood or general area they are in, and oftentimes they will only work with properties of a certain caliber. I haven’t bought properties to flip or BRRRR using private financing, so I can't say for sure either way if they will loan on those. But I have personally used private financing on rent-ready nicer properties and it's been great.

The downsides to private financing are that the down payment required is often much higher than with traditional mortgages—usually 30-50% down—and the interest rates are higher. You have to be careful with the interest rates on these loans, mostly because they can be adjustable-rate loans, and maybe the initial rate is doable for you to still get good returns on your property, but the adjustable rate won’t be. One time I bought a rental property with a loan from a private lender because I had just quit my job and couldn’t get a mortgage, knowing full well that in three years, the interest rate was going to jump so I had three years to get myself to qualification levels for a mortgage so I could dodge the jump. I did it and was able to refinance the property into a conventional mortgage at a nicely low interest rate.

Note: Always be cautious any time you get an adjustable-rate loan! They can be very dangerous, and there is never a guarantee you will be able to dodge the interest rate jump like I did! Do you research and be educated on these types of loans. They are risky.

Not all private loans are adjustable, though. Some are fixed, so be sure to shop around. Yes, the interest rates might be higher and the down payments less desirable, but it’s still a way to buy more than one property for what you would normally pay for just one! Just make sure you do the math thoroughly and know for sure whether leveraging at a particular interest rate is smart.


The Process for Buying U.S. Property from Abroad

Now that the logistics are out of the way, let’s buy a property! I’m going to tell you right now that I am not going to give you many details on how to best do this process because there is so much I can tell you that there’d be no way to squeeze it all into this article and not disrupt the point of the article.

What I will tell you though is that buying U.S. properties from abroad is no different than if you were living in the United States but far away from where you are investing. For example, I live in Los Angeles and the closest property I own is in Atlanta. The only difference between you buying from abroad and me buying long-distance from Los Angeles is your airplane ride might be a quite a bit longer (and/or more expensive) to go see your property if you need to for some reason.

Related: What Moving Out of State is Teaching Me About Remotely Managing Rentals

The absolute key to buying long-distance is the team you have on the ground working on the property.

If you are flipping properties from afar, this team will be much more extensive and you will need a lot more trust in that team because of the extent of things that have to be done. If you are only doing rental properties from afar, then you still need a trustworthy team, but the extent of what that team does is much less than with flipping, and a slip in trust somewhere isn't likely to cause as much financial damage. Where the team trust really comes in with rental properties is in the buying. If you can buy right, then managing and trusting property managers can be dealt with fairly easily. Feel free to check out any of my articles or reach out for more information on dealing with property managers. For flipping, not only do you need to buy right, but then more importantly, you have to trust the contractors working on the home.

Always keep in mind the risk factors with any investment property. Depending on what risk factors are relevant to the kind of property you are interested in, you’ll need to weigh those against the fact that you can’t be near the property and decide from there if it’s worth doing.

Like I said, I’m not going into a lot of detail here about how to buy properties long-distance, but if you do want to read more about your options and how you can do it, check out “Out-of-State Rental Properties 101.” The article is obviously geared to buying out-of-state rather than from out-of- country, but there really is no difference in the two—long-distance investing is long-distance investing—so the article should still be of some help to get you started.

Note: I personally have only invested in rental properties so if there are any parts of the flipping process that I left out, it’s because I’m not aware of them. If you are trying to flip properties from abroad, citizen or not, I encourage you to make contact with others doing the same and find out if there are any additional pieces to the process that I didn’t include here.

Has anyone invested in U.S. properties from abroad who are willing to share your stories and any tips/advice from your experiences?

Leave your comments below!

Ali Boone is a lifestyle entrepreneur, business consultant, and real estate investor. Ali left her corporate job as an Aerospace Engineer to follow her passion for being her own boss and creating t...
Read more
    Gord Stevenson Investor from Calgary, Alberta
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    As the author said, Canadians need to be careful about double taxation. Traditional consensus was to stay away from using an LLC to hold US property because Canada would see the LLC as a corporation and the income as corporate income. Since the US sees LLC income as personal pass through income there is a mismatch so the Tax Treaty does not allow US tax paid to be recovered through a Foreign Tax Credit. So, double taxation. Traditionally, the consensus was to use an LLP instead because Canada does understand a partnership. However, the CRA (Canada’s tax authority) changed their position on LLPs in about May 2016, starting with LLPs set up in Delaware and Florida, but this is likely to spread to other states as well. Now they say an LLP will be considered as a corporation as well. The CRA says that LPs will still be considered as partnerships but an LP (as opposed to an LLP) does not contain liability for the General Partner. So, going forward it seems that it may be better for Canadian Residents to hold US rental properties directly in the name of the inverstor(s) and reduce liability risk with increased liability insurance.
    Ali Boone Business Owner & Investor from Venice Beach, CA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Great info, Gord! Thanks for sharing all of that. Excellent more-detailed info than I gave for Canadians to consider.
    Gord Stevenson Investor from Calgary, Alberta
    Replied over 3 years ago
    A quick update: The CRA updated their position again about a month ago, in a positive direction this time. The base position of now treating LLPs and LLLPs income as corporate income going forward is unchanged. The change is that those that set up LLPs and LLLPs prior to April 2017 with the expectation of the income being treated as personal flow-through income like it is in the US are grandfathered and do not have to change their entities to LPs to avoid the problem. There are caveats and conditions so read up on it, but for many this will help.
    Omar Khan Rental Property Investor from Dallas, TX
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Thanks for the great info. How should Canadians structure their investment when investing in US-based syndications which require a US-based LLC? Is there a preferred flow-through entity in Canada that can own the US-based LLC to avoid double taxation?
    Gord Stevenson Investor from Calgary, Alberta
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Hi @Omar Khan, I am not really qualified to answer this. Perhaps @Roy N. will weigh in. As I understand it, to avoid double taxation the entity in Canada and the entity in the US need to be of the same type. Going forward, the CRA is saying they will consider LLCs and LLPs as corporations. So if your post means that you must own the asset in a US LLC that you set up, then theoretically that should mean that you would be ok with the LLC being owned by a Canadian Corporation. But of course that has some cost overhead to it. If your post means that the “syndicate” is going to set up an LLC to own the asset, and someone else is administering it, that could be different. In that case, you would be a partner assuming they elect Partnership tax treatment and I expect you would just receive a K1 form with your share of the profit on it and that would be input to your individual 1040NR tax form…so it’s just personal income. Again, don’t take my word for it! @Roy N. … help! Cheers You might also consider asking
    Martyn Lockwood Investor from Sydney, New South Wales
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hi Ali. Nice read…thank you. I live in Australia and own a few properties in the US. Pretty much like you have stated…inside of a LLC (2 actually) and a personal bank account. I have previously used finance companies that, as you said, required a bigger deposit and a higher interest rate. My wife is a US citizen, soooo….just wondering if you know of a way to use her US status to our benefit when it comes to getting finance. I.e, perhaps we should be doing things under her name..but then we run into the problem of having to set things up again, as, at the moment, everything is under my name. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the article.
    Martyn Lockwood Investor from Sydney, New South Wales
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hi Ali. Nice read…thank you. I live in Australia and own a few properties in the US. Pretty much like you have stated…inside of a LLC (2 actually) and a personal bank account. I have previously used finance companies that, as you said, required a bigger deposit and a higher interest rate. My wife is a US citizen, soooo….just wondering if you know of a way to use her US status to our benefit when it comes to getting finance. I.e, perhaps we should be doing things under her name..but then we run into the problem of having to set things up again, as, at the moment, everything is under my name. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the article.
    Ali Boone Business Owner & Investor from Venice Beach, CA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hey Martyn, great question. Well the thing is that you wouldn’t have to do anything fancy like setting things up, etc. If she’s a US citizen, she could buy/finance just as if she were living in the US. So if she qualifies for a traditional mortgage, you can just buy them in her name directly. If she doesn’t qualify, it would just be a matter of doing whatever would be needed that would get her to qualifying levels.
    Ashley Wilson Rental Property Investor from Radnor, PA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Ali- great post!!! We must be on the same wave length with our posts:) I recently posted how I live approximately 9 months of the year outside the US and flip houses with my business partner (my father). Here’s the blog post: Everything you say rings true for me. I am an American citizen, so the points you hit are absolutely true for me. Thank you for highlighting these important points, and I hope this encourages some more people to take the risk!
    Ali Boone Business Owner & Investor from Venice Beach, CA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    You bet Ashley!
    RJ Mitchell from Stockholm, Stockholms län
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    HELP NEEDED This article applies perfectly to me – I’m a U.S. citizen living in Sweden. The issue is qualifying for a loan. I have worked my entire career outside of the U.S. for a large U.S. multinational conglomerate. I have been filing my taxes each year but I don’t have a easily traceable income (i.e. no W2). Any suggestions/thoughts?
    Ali Boone Business Owner & Investor from Venice Beach, CA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hi RJ. You’d want to talk to an {extremely} investor-friendly lender and have them instruct you on how to make that work. My cousin ran into a similar problem because he was living in Germany doing post-doc stuff and they had a hard time tracing the income. I can’t remember how they made it work, but it ended up working out. But a lender would need to guide you on that one I think.
    Andrea P. Rental Property Investor from Roma, Italy
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    There are International agreement for the avoidance of double taxation like this: Based on such agreement, the foreign investor should issue Tax Return to the US (i.e. 1040NR). Starting from this year, Tax Return is available online. It is for free in case of small income (less than $40000).
    Sheryl Sitman Rental Property Investor from Philadelphia, PA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    When a non-US person owns a property in the US – in an LLC – and collects rent, what are his tax responsibilities? Is the management company supposed to withold tax?
    Patricia Simigran
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    Hello, this is a great post. I know it is a bit older but it fits our situation and I have a pressing question. We live in AUSTRIA since 6 years. My husband is a US citizen and I am german. He is a full time employee at a big corp. with traceable income. The INCREDIBLE news is that we cannot get a credit in AUSTRIA if we want buy property in the USA because of the strict laws the austrian banks have. I read that getting a bank loan in the US is possible on this post. BUT : I read on other websites that expats are charged high fees and other costs for the credit. So I would be very greatful if you could recommend a bank or an other source to get credit from with fair prices for EXPATS. Thank you!
    Lori Edson
    Replied about 2 months ago
    I have a client who is working abroad in the UAE and is wanting to buy investment property in the US. He's an American citizen and owns other property here. He sold his primary residence in 2019 when he left to go to work in Dubai, I am looking for a lender who can do his financing. The lender he was using got stumped on his address in the states which is PO Box that he uses to get his mail transferred to him in Dubai. Any suggestions?